Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Otakon

Unread 01-16-2003, 08:18 AM   #1
Kurumi

How much money to bring...

*waves* hiya guys! Well Rumi wants to know exactly how much money is enough to get good stuff from the kon. n_n im not the only poor chik here right? lookin for some reply's!!

~*Kurumi

Unread 01-16-2003, 08:22 AM   #2
psythe

Depends on what you are looking for in particular, but a good rule of thumb is to leave the cards at home and bring a set amount of cash because believe me, you WILL NOT be able to buy everything you want.

Do some research on average prices of what you are looking for (art books, figures, statues, etc.) and plan the budget accordingly.

There is no greater temptation of overspending than that of a Con
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Recca-kun

Unless you're stingy like me.

Seriously though, make sure to plan ahead (what psythe said) and set aside the money for registration, hotel, and FOOD so that you don't spend that too.
Recca-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
Kurumi

*gasp* dudes i totally forgot about food...that should have been atop of my list since my last incident at the kon lastyear..I walked around for 10 hours and for at least 3 of them i had a headache! >_< my tummy wasn't giving me the signals it should have....but yes! I agree...that seems like a good plan to look up prices and spend moola wisely. BUT IT BURNS!! IN THE POCKETS IT BUUUURRRNNNSS!! ...Rumi will just have to keep saving the dollas!! ...

Oh yeah and one more question....what's the most you've ever spent at a kon? Last year I didn't find too much stuff that I wanted so I spent somewhere around 120 greeners! n_n One of the dealers asked me how much I spent and he told me I was a whimp!! Can we say harsh?..

~*Kurumi*~
Kurumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
psythe

Megacon 1998 just got out of hand and I ended up blowing like 500 bucks on merchandise. I now have a list of items that I search for and thankfully it is 2 items long at the moment ^_^
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

I am pretty conservative when it comes to Cash at a con. My main concern is food and what have you. You always have to factor that in, or bring it with you!

Yes, just keep in mind what you want to buy and figure it out from there! I would probably say for a big con like that, a couple hundred if you really want to splurge!
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 11:18 AM   #7
Recca-kun

My dealer's room max? $150. Done about that three times now. My lowest was none (done that twice), after that would be $40.

Edit- If you factor in hotel, food, registration, etc. though it starts racking up fast.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurumi
One of the dealers asked me how much I spent and he told me I was a whimp!! Can we say harsh?..~*Kurumi*~
Can we say dealer is an idiot who is a)trying to get you to buy more since he's a dealer himself, or b)trying to say that he's a bigger fanboy (I'm using it non-gender in this case) because he burns his entire wallet?
Recca-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 02:14 PM   #8
Kurumi

*laughs* yeah Recca-Kun He might have just been trying to get to sell me somthing....sometimes I think the money clogs the deakers' itsy bitsy heads! This one guy offered me hentai...(let's just say i had no idea on what to do...i wanted it...but then again I didn't want to look like a purv. n_n ) but I was a good girl and say no. *dances* but if I really am such a whimp...i'll try to find him this year and I'll have a little chat with him! *evil laugh*

About the food....did anyone try the pizza at that one stand in front of the video room upstairs?! X_X all i could tatse was chared-crust! yuck yuck!! I think i'll bring some snacks this year! (but no matches...fire isn't good...especially not inside)

~*Kurumi
Kurumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 03:21 PM   #9
Sakura
Original Sakura

I only brought 95$ last year T_T I was soooo sad that I couldn't get everything I wanted. This year I will probably have less because I have to pay my own way there.
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 05:44 PM   #10
Alanna-chan
pwning ninjas since 1988

Everything in Baltimore is expensive. But I didn't even bring $100 last year, plus I had to pay fr registration and I actualy had money left over. But I didn't buy much and I was only there for 1 day. You should probably bring $200-$300 and some food.
Alanna-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 08:01 PM   #11
Resuka
Bosh'tet

If you really want to save cash, you can always volunteer to be a Gofer at the con- they provide food, and reimburse you for the entrance fee and some of the hotel costs if you work enough hours ^_^

http://www.otakon.com/volunteering.html
Resuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 09:38 PM   #12
Celine
Remember me?

I only bring about $40 to a con. Since I book the room for my friends 95% of the time, I don't have to figure in hotel expenses (usually $40-60, depending on where and how many people you stay with). Bringing $40 is more than enough to cover food and that one item from the dealer's room you just can't live without.

Dealer's rooms are overpriced. You're better off scoping out items that look cool and then searching for them online.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 10:15 PM   #13
NeshaChan
It's Minty Fresh!

I bring all my food with me, like snacks for our hotel room that all my friends can eat, so nobody has to spend $ on food, unless we all order a pizza or something. Snack food went over well, I brought bread and peanut butter & cookies & soda & stuff. Cheap & good. As for spending money.. I saved $200 for the con.. >___> I didn't spend it all though....I had about $50 left, and mostly I bought gifts for friends.
NeshaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 10:30 PM   #14
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Re: How much money to bring...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurumi
Well Rumi wants to know exactly how much money is enough to get good stuff from the kon.
How much you got?

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 10:44 PM   #15
KuroBara
dog of the military

A great part about cosplaying is that being stopped for photos keeps you away from the dealers' tables. Seriously, listen to psyth3. Preregistering is also a good idea, it'll free up some cash and time.
KuroBara is offline   Reply With Quote