Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-05-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
qazzi

Toronto Trek yes or no?

hi, new here. I went to AN last weekend for the first time and I'm pretty much too shy to put a costume on myself but it was cool to see so many people dressed up.

I heard theres a Cosplay at Toronto Trek this year. Is it going to be any good? Is anybody going or should I go to SFX?
qazzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Toronto Trek is a GREAT convention. It's been going for many years and has lots of cool stuff like panels, masquerade, contests, etc.

However you can't expect it to be exactly like Anime North - needless to say it's not all anime, because it's a general sci-fi/fantasy/media convention. So there's all sorts of stuff, like Star Trek, Star Wars, Buffy, Angel, Farscape, Stargate, Smallville, comic books, fantasy and sci-fi novels, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. Pretty much anything sci-fi or fantasy related is fine there (and that includes anime, since most anime is sci-fi or fantasy, too).

The demographic is somewhat older than Anime North, so you'll see older people as well as young people. I don't know much about this "Cosplay"...I assume it's a skit competition like we have at Anime North.

I have been going to Toronto Trek for many years, and enjoy it a lot. If you're interested in any of the stuff mentioned above, you'll probably have a great time. ^_^ However if you're ONLY interested in anime and nothing else, it might not be the con for you.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories

Last edited by Sarcasm-hime : 06-05-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Thumbs up

yes

I'm going to Toronto Trek this year as usual. I've been attending TT for 15 years now, (OMG! ), and I'd hate to miss it. My younger sister Gothic Panda practically grew up there. LOL!

Toronto Trek by far has the strongest masquerade in Canada by my experience. The competition is tough but friendly, and the costume variety runs the gamaunt from Literary to Sci fi , from Anime to Historical and all sorts of things in between.

For interest sake. Here is a breakdown of Toronto Trek 18's masquerade entries from 2004:

Sci Fi costumes: 30%
Fantasy costumes: 8%
Literary: 22%
Comic Book 12%
Historical 4%
Anime 12%
American Cartoons: 2%
Other 10% (The Bride from Kill Bill, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Michael Jackson, Spy vs Spy, etc.)

AN is pretty much on par with Trek's masquerade in quality so you're going to find a similar feeling back stage.

I'll definately be going to TT again this year. (And I won a free membership to boot! Woot!) LOL

The con iteself is interesting. They have hundereds of hours of panels and a fairly strong costuming track as well. Kent Wong arranges for the Anime Video track so you can be sure you're getting good programming in that department.

In commitment to expanding thier Anime Programing, they have now added a Friday Night Cosplay event. (Personally I think they just have AN 2 masq envy ^_~ kidding!)

Er Here I'll list some rando things at trek which are fun.
  • This year a COSPLAY EVENT
  • i.e. Klingon Kareoki which is very humourous.
  • The Contest Table, that runs contests with prizes all weekend long
  • Midnight Swim
  • The best consuite in town
  • Buffy sing along (I've never attended but it's always packed to the doors)
  • workshops
  • Saturday night club parties sponsered by other conventions and clubs (mmm fuzzy gummi bears)
  • Gaming. I tried the Warhammer demos for the first time last year, fun! There was a Robotech demo as well. Good stuff. One of the players was Giles from Buffy. XD
  • COSPA
  • Hall cosplay
  • Yugioh Tournament
  • Bah I could go on all day. There is stuff to do, you just have to find it. For me it's really all about the masquerade anyhow. LOL

Check out the website for more info
http://www.tcon.icomm.ca/tt19/

Here are all the Main topics there are panels and/or workshops on:

Adult/Alternative Lifestyles
Anime
Art
British Cult TV
Battlestar Galactica
BSG Classic
BSG '05
Comics
Costuming
Doctor Who
Fandom
FanFic
Filk
Film
Lord of the Rings
Matrix
Star Wars
X-Men
Gaming
General
Paranormal
Wiccan/Pagan
Harry Potter
Kids Programming
Literature
Martial Arts
Models
More Shows
Andromeda
Babylon Five
Buck Rogers
Farscape
First Wave
The 4400
Hercules/Xena
Lost
Relic Hunter
Roswell
Smallville
X-Files
Non SF
Role-Playing Games
Screenwriting
Space: 1999
Science & Technology
Stargate
SG-1
Atlantis
Star Trek
The Original Series
The Animated Series
The Next Generation
Deep Space Nine
Voyager
Enterprise
Whedonverse
Buffy
Angel
Firefly
Writing

If people don't want to hang all weekend I suggest just coming out for saturday.

It's true it's different than Anime North but I consider that a good thing. (I can only survive one Anime North a year!) LOL.

If anyone comes out to Trek, be sure to say hi !

Cheers!
~Dawn

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 06-08-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Cosplay info here:

Cosplay
Toronto Trek is pleased to announce that on top of our regularly scheduled Saturday Night Masquerade Competition, we'll be starting a new tradition for costuming fans this year: A Friday Night Cosplay Competition! This event will allow Anime (and other genre costumers welcome) costumers to showcase their work in their own event and using longer and bigger skits that our Masquerade rules generally allow.

Cosplay Rules:

All contestants must have a valid membership pass to Toronto Trek. Memberships may be purchased for Friday only or for the weekend.
Entries are allowed up to 5 minutes each. Any set-up time required for your entry is not counted in your allotted time.
Microphones will NOT be available. The MC will read short prepared comments or you may submit your own comments along with music on a pre-recorded cassette tape or CD. Be sure to cue and label your tape or CD.
The following will not be allowed: messy substances on stage, flagrant nudity, live animals, dangerous or potentially dangerous props, live flame, flash powder or flash paper. Please transport your weapons to and from the masquerade in a bag or closed container if they do not confirm to the convention weapons policy.
When exiting the stage please do not approach the judges.
The masquerade Director reserves the right to eliminate anyone from competition on the basis of taste, danger to the audience or other contestants or for any other reason deemed sufficient.
The decisions of the judges are final.
How To Register:

To register send your entry to cosplay@undefined. If you do not receive an acknowledgement within 5 days please contact us again. All entry requests will be acknowledged. Please note that because of the longer skit format, we will only be accepting the first 10 entries received, and that all entries must be received by June 26th, 2005. Also, please note that costumers are indeed welcome to participate in BOTH the Cosplay and masquerade competitions if they want to!

To register for the Cosplay compeition, please send all of the following information for your entry.

Name of your Cosplay entry.
Name of the Anime or other genre source your entry is based on, such as a movie, video or manga.
Any introduction you want the MC to read.
Complete legal name, email address, mailing address and phone number of the contact person for your entry.
The complete legal names of all members of your entry.
If your entry is from an organized Cosplay group, please give us the name of your group.
Please tell us if you will be using a cassette tape of CD of sound or music with your entry.

4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
www.costumecon32.com
Unread 06-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
qazzi

all right then!

I'm not so much into Star Trek... don't like it at all actually but I love Lord of the Rings and Buffy and a bunch of other stuff not just anime! so sounds like fun!
yay!! thanks!
Unread 06-06-2005, 12:44 AM   #6
Jo_Canadian
Vashy-Boy

count me in. sounds like a real plan to me actually....now...to find a hotel room

Code Of A Scoudrel: Prenez Votre Vie, Prenez Votre Bourse, Aucune Matière, Prise Juste Cela Tout. *Take Your Life, Take Your Purse, No Matter, Just Take It All.
Jo_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
Kia
Queen of Tacky Costumes

I went last year and had an awesome time. I'm coming back for sure this year. Even managed to sneak myself into a few panels too. ^_^

[Kia's 2012 Convention Season:]
[Con-G - Ad Astra 31 - Anime North - Polaris 26]

[Planned costumes for 2012:]
[NEW: Suki/Lily/Mime]
[TO FINISH: Sakura/Ayumi
]
Kia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Actually I've heard that TT has really been interested in expanding it's Anime Related content. It would be great if some enthusiastic and knowledgeable local people decided to work up a proposal and perhaps spearhead the expansion in that direction. Hm Hm. *steps quickly back from the volunteer line*

(and runs away)

www.costumecon32.com
Unread 06-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #9
Vicky
Now with more bwag

For various reasons I limit myself to 2 conventions a year, so I've never been. But I do hope to go in the future! As I've heard really good things ^^
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
Squall1882

Wow.. sounds interesing.. many people have been telling me to go... if I can afford it at the time... then count me in!!
Squall1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 01:22 PM   #11
Oselle
Froufaholic

A resounding YES!

Toronto Trek quickly became my favourite local con, it really is a blast. Pretty much everything I was going to say has already been covered by Sarcasm Hime and Kaijugal. ^_^
Unread 06-10-2005, 01:16 AM   #12
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I would be going were I in Ontario. ^^

I liked TT a lot. The people were more mature, yet still quite friendly and easy to talk to, willing to make people feel at home. They seem to appreciate a wider variety of costumes, too, and if they don't know what it is, they'll ask (i.e. no one I know of at a Sci-fi con complains about costumes that aren't directly sci-fi related, unlike some people who complain about non-anime costumes at an anime con). It was also a nice break from the anime-anime-anime costuming.

And check out the Dance Like Nobody's Watching.... workshop? Panel? activity hour? :P It's a load of fun! <3

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #13
qazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
I would be going were I in Ontario. ^^
Where are you Eleryth? (if I can ask!)

Quote:
I liked TT a lot. snip
And check out the Dance Like Nobody's Watching.... workshop? Panel? activity hour? :P It's a load of fun! <3
TT sounds like a lot of fun. For sure I'm going. Don't know about that panel though... do they let you watch from a corner of the room?
Unread 06-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #14
Kia
Queen of Tacky Costumes

Quote:
That was the best panel last year! ... even though I only watched. =P Oselle. what crazy dances do you have planed for this year?

[Kia's 2012 Convention Season:]
[Con-G - Ad Astra 31 - Anime North - Polaris 26]

[Planned costumes for 2012:]
[NEW: Suki/Lily/Mime]
[TO FINISH: Sakura/Ayumi
]
Kia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Hehe, I really wanted to take part and dance but I was wearing my Arwen dress.....and it's hard to dance in floor-length velvet. *lol*

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote