Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 09-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
hayleyhime

Question How to make Sora jacket bottom defy gravity??

Heya! I'll be cosplaying Halloween Town Sora this year at Youmacon. I've got most of the costume already planned out, but the only thing i'm having trouble with is the bottom of his jacket.

His jacket, as seen in the picture here, has almost a boxy shape that i'd like to recreate.

I've been messing around with some muslin and pelon interfacing to try to recreate it today and it's working... okay-ish, but i'm wondering if any of you have ideas I could try to get those shapes? I also thought about maybe forming craft foam to that shape and slipping it between the lining and main fabric, but I don't really know how it would "stand" in shape like that unless I sew or glue the foam to the fabric at the point where it starts to flare.

I'll most likely be using a bottom weight fabric with cotton lining for the base of the coat if that helps, and i'd really really like to avoid having a seam where the coat starts to flare out.

Thanks so much in advance!!
hayleyhime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

Have you considered using sponge or something similar? You can get big chunks of sponge/foam that they use in furniture. Cut/carve it into your shape and cover with your fabric. Should do the trick!
CezzaXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Penlowe

NO CRAFT FOAM! It's not for this kind of use. Pellon makes super heavy duty inner facing that's the same thickness and even stiffer than craft foam, get that instead.

If you can model it in paper, you can cut & sew it in inner facing and fabric.
http://thesewingloftblog.com/fabric-basket-patterns/
Look through those. It's a box shape so look to box patterns, it'll help you wrap your head around the techniques. And if you practice in cute fabrics you'll have some christmas gifts ready to go
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote