Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 06-18-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
Shiro MS08th
Photographer

Comments & Critique on my portfolio.

Actually up to now my few pics of my portfolio are still only cosplayers.
It is taken using my previous camera Konica Minolta Z3, my new and better camera now, I still haven took any pictures worthy to put in portfolio.
Sigh...

But anyways hope you guys give me comments and criticism on my pictures, no need to be afraid to be straightforward.
Cause I think cosplayers pictures, cosplayer may know more about it, the feel and etc...

All pictures are taken in Singapore.
Pictures are copyrighted by me.

Amber as Mana [11-12-2004]

Kaori as Misa [6-2-2005]

Andy as Count Cain [12-3-2005]

Andy as Count Cain [12-3-2005]

Unread 06-18-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Great composition and I really like the contrast in lighting, especially the pumped up whites in the Misa and first Count Cain pics. In the Mana picture, I like how the shadow up top really cuts abruptly into the lighted portion of the image.

The only thing I didn't like is in the Misa photo, the twig curling up and pointing to her ear is a bit distracting. Otherwise great job!
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 03:51 AM   #3
gmontem

Yeah the twig is distracting, but I also find the first Count Cain's blown collar distracting as well. I was staring at it for so long that I didn't care much about the subject and anything else in that photo.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 03:54 AM   #4
raye

Amber as Mana

I really like the symmetry of the composition. As much as I like the contrasty look, I think its a bit much here. But just a bit. The door could show a bit more detail. The model seems to glow a bit and that is interesting. I like the picture quite a bit.

Kaori as Misa

Cute model in an interesting pose. Having the girl a bit separated from the background would have helped because it is a distracting background. Again, I think it is a bit too contrasty. The detail in the blouse is blown out and blown out throughout the shirt. The skin tone is a bit unnatural and the flowers 'pop' a bit too much. It is a bit too unnatural. I liked how my eye flowed from her face to her hand to the notebook. My favorite of the set.

I'd like to see they eyes in the Andy pictures. The current dark blotches do not appeal to me.

Really nice work overall. I think you might be overdoing the postprocessing a bit. I'm jealous you have such nice models to work with!
raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 04:24 AM   #5
eron

The one photo that jumped out at me in this group was the b&w "Andy as Count Cain" (the rest seemed a little bit standard for my tastes)-- Even though I'm hardly familiar with the cosplayer's character, I get a decent sense of the character's attitude.

The agressiveness of the light tones is contrasted well by the slight disconcerting & unsure angle (from below and tilted). But the most interesting part for me is the contrast of the cosplayer in the lower left corner and the illegable but clearly memorial text in the upper right. It adds a tangible layer of place & history. I think it would be cool to see more lyric specifics about the locations.

Also, technically, I might have tried to pull some more shadow detail in to the left side of the model; and darken the top left & bottom right just enough to anchor the corners and keep my eye from wandering out of the frame. Maybe if Andy was looking at the camera I'd have another connection to the character? Hope this all helps!

Last edited by eron : 06-18-2005 at 04:31 AM.
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
black shinigami

These are really nice. What I thought about it is that some could be more close up and it depends on where you want your main focus to be. In these photos, I think you wanted the characters to be the main focus and you achieved that rather well.

Once again the twig thing is a bit distracting.
black shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
embz

I like the composition in the first and last photos. The second photo also looks good. The overly high contrast, I think, isn't necessary, but my taste differs from yours, so...

What really bothers me is the way you blurred the edges. I thought that was a bit...amateurish. These aren't photographs. These are photomanipulated artworks.
embz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
Jeg
Aizen-sama

hm... lets see lets start by saying they are all well done. now lets see here, Most people probly tell you how good they are so i'm going to see if there is anything to improve appon so don't get the wrong idea i do like them.

Picture 1: you lost the shadows and mid tones in the dress. it looks washed out or over exposed so you may want to work on that.

Picture 2: Same thing the shirt is missing its detail you need to compinsate for this probblem

Picture 3: I can't see anything really wrong with this one and could job at getting some of the midtones/shadows in the fur but you still lost some.

Picture 4: I can't see anything wrong at all with this one. it is the best of the 4 but i do really like picture 3.

Yes I know this was more telling you about the fact that you lost detail in your whites but that was only because that is really the only mistake I can find in your work. It is very well composed and taken bueatifly. You should be proud. Sorry for trying to play the bad guy but someone has to point out what is wrong for a person to imporve. I will have to post some of my work at some point to see what you come back with at me. Once more great job and I look forward to seeing more of your work should you put more up.

P.S. the soft focus and blurred edges worked wonderfully
Jeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
puyo_pop
lolita-love, baby

woah. those pictures are really awesome! I love how the scenery and expressions kind of fit the mellow mood you're trying to make (i think, or at least that's how i see it) and how some pix are black and white and some pix are in color. I really like how you made it seem like it's glowing a little. I don't quite seem to see the eyes, but I guess that's how you wanted it? Still it's very cool. ^-^b
puyo_pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #10
Cynthia

All the pictures look great to me (don't get too terribly technical when it comes to pics, but then again, I'm a model, not a photog). You seem to capture the character with the right mood and giving the picture itself a sense of emotion as opposed to a lot pictures I've seen that appear to be "flat" or "one-sided".
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #11
Shiro MS08th
Photographer

Thanks for all the comments and criticism which will let me think and improve.
I won't be editing anymore of these few pictures, since at that time I already decided it the final result for my portfolio to be like this.
Be it flaw or something, it's my learning curve experience of photography, improving by time.

Admin: Yep, the twig has been pointed by most of my friends too, but can't be help, doesn't want to cg erase it off.

gmontem: hmm...okay. My thoughts at the moment was too try to capture the feeling and the mood of it, so didn't thought about other stuffs too much also.

raye: This set of pictures I overdo the post processing with effects. And on the Misa picture, I dunno why, my feeling always tell me to contrast higher and warmer. I just follow my feeling lol!

eron: Thanks for the comments!

black shinigami: Thanks for the comments!

embz: I don't denied I overdo the effects, and don't disagree with you saying it's photomanipulated artworks. Cause I think without the effects, only 2 pictures in the set can make the cut, at least a decent quality.
I'm also a beginner photographer and a very basic photoshop user, I just use most effects from plugins.

Jeg: No. I won't misunderstand. I like people to point out ANY mistakes I got, cause I can know what I can improve next time. I'm a frank and straightforward person, so yeah.

puyo_pop: Thanks for the comments!

Cynthia: Thanks for the comments! What's the meaning in getting too technical? Don't really understand.
Unread 06-23-2005, 06:43 PM   #12
didjiman

They are all pretty good but look very photoshopp'ed. There is nothing with that per se. I would say the next steps is to see what you can accomplish without relying on photoshop (or the likes) to create the mood. You don't have to listen to me of course. You can use photoshop just as another tool in your toolbox. As an old school photographer though, I think a good foundation in photography is important.

Happy shooting
didjiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #13
Cynthia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro MS08th

Cynthia: Thanks for the comments! What's the meaning in getting too technical? Don't really understand.
I don't go as in-depth as some of the photographers might about light boxes, etc. I know about most of the equipment, and even how to use most of it, but that's really not my deptment and I couldn't give you any really useful help there.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #14
Vicky
Now with more bwag

I agree about the twig almost poking into the ear, but I mean they're really beautiful! I wish I had some photo-esque friends with HALF this kind of talent to take photos of my costumes ^^;
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #15
Vialoi Ketsueke
The vexatious one.

In my opinion, these are all wonderful photos. The composition is great, the lighting is very nicely done, and your subjects are interesting.

I notice some people don't like how you use certain methods, but if everyone used the same method, then photography would be pretty boring. .. It should really matter what you like. ( Well, if someone tries to give you tips on how to make things better then you should take their advise into mind.)

I'll say that there is nothing "Wrong" with these photos. .

By the way! Sweet diagonals in your compositions.
Vialoi Ketsueke is offline   Reply With Quote