Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > 한국어 cosplay.com

Unread 07-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #31
Squall1882

Ahahahhahaaa.... make one this colour!! This one rocks Lainey!!

http://www.seoul88.com/image/hanbok%20image/517.jpg

Or the evil light green on dark green *evil side to side clances*

Aren't some of the chinese knotted decorations similar to the korean?? maybe by looking at the chinese ones you could figure out a way to make the korean.
Squall1882 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2005, 09:52 PM   #32
Chanté
da bananaz

I've made hanbok, based off of a video game character design (Seung Mina's unlockable outfit from Soul Calibur II). I've gotten more sewing experience since then, but yeah. :> I used the pattern from www.folkwear.com. Right now Butterick just released a commercial hanbok pattern. I can't vouch for the authenticity of either, but they're out there.

Here are some pics of mine:
http://lionhearts.interstellar-beams...ina/index.html

If I were to do it again, I would probably make the chima out of a heavier fabric to achieve the more poufy look that real hanbok appear to have in those pictures. I would probably also interface the ties (the pattern doesn't say to, but I HIGHLY recommend doing so so that the bow part doesn't droop!).

Sailor-Jupiter.net | Cristina's Tiki Journal | Sailor JAM-boree

University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
~ Class of 2011!! ~

Last edited by Chanté : 07-12-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Chanté is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #33
Skyline Kyo
Elysiam.org

Yeah! Representin well Chante!

Now when I was in Korea last year, my uncle was telling me there's two styles to these now o.o;

The old fashioned way is like Seung Mina's while the new fashioned way has the hip thinner. Kinda suprising to say the least.
Unread 07-13-2005, 01:00 AM   #34
Silence_Sigh
yawn... bored...

ah, bout the hair style. okay, if u tie it back and make a bun, it means ur married.

if u tie it back and braid it, means ur not married. ah, and ur suppose to tie this long ribbon (usually red) at the tip of the hair too.

traditionally ur not suppose to leave ur hair untied or tied but without briad, it means ur status is lower than a peasent and wouldnt be wearing the hanbok ur going to make since that design is for the upper class/noble class.

on aug, its going to be my grandmums(mother side) 80th bday so theres going to be a celebration and all the family is gathering and all the females are going to wear hanbok. i'll take pics and post em.

See you at Otakon 07!
Silence_Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 04:03 AM   #35
Chanté
da bananaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence_Sigh
traditionally ur not suppose to leave ur hair untied or tied but without briad, it means ur status is lower than a peasent and wouldnt be wearing the hanbok ur going to make since that design is for the upper class/noble class.
^^;;;;; oops! Either I interpreted the character design wrong, or the game character designers didn't do their research. Or both. XD I could have sworn she had that princess jasmine ponytail I've been wearing, though! At least my fellow Mina 3P cosplayer Koumori agrees with me! :>

Sailor-Jupiter.net | Cristina's Tiki Journal | Sailor JAM-boree

University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
~ Class of 2011!! ~
Chanté is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #36
lainey
D2R Cosplay

chante that's a GoRGEOUS hanbok..so pretty!!

traditionally the fabric isn't supposed to be patterned...but it's game reference O_O

i'm in love with hanboks now O_O O_O

good idea..i'll add interfacing to the bow

LOL jordan...dark green...highest kitchen lady O_O O_O O_O *evil side to side glances*

ohh but....this is all i found for the chinese:
http://www.chineseknotting.org/

i'm going to try to keep the authenticity as much as I can lol But I might have to get away with chinese knotting otherwise O_O

i want the hanbok to be a surprise to my bf's family O_O
2012 Cons: Coming to a con near you!
Anime North |Otakon
lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 08:57 AM   #37
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanté
^^;;;;; oops! Either I interpreted the character design wrong, or the game character designers didn't do their research. Or both. XD I could have sworn she had that princess jasmine ponytail I've been wearing, though! At least my fellow Mina 3P cosplayer Koumori agrees with me! :>
That'd be option B (no research), especially since she isn't wearing anything but white panties underneath. :P She does indeed wear a ponytail, tied off in a couple of places with ribbons.

I used Folkwear's pattern and didn't like it very much; I didn't have any authentic hanbok from Korea to compare it with at the time, but I think the FW pattern would be more successful with a wider band on the ch'ima (if you have a wider, stiffer band and tie it around your breasts, you get decent support without having to worry about fitting other undergarments under there) - both of my Korean ones have that and both are easier to wear. I also used a very soft fabric for the skirt, which looks nice but needs extra support underneath; I'm planning to go back and add a layer of organdy to the ch'ima itself as a sort of built-in slip, as most of the Korean ones I've seen have.

I also definitely second the recommendation to interface the tie. Wish I'd done that.

Here's another question for Korean folks: when I wore Mina at a convention a couple of years ago, a number of Korean people stopped to talk to me about it, and one of them told me that Mina's hanbok looks so matronly that some Korean gamers call her "Mama Mina." But he wasn't able to explain to me exactly what about it would give that impression. I'm sure there must be visual hanbok codes like there are with kimono (where raising or lowering your collar or your obi line a little bit, or wearing certain colors together, can completely change what your outfit is saying about you)... but what are they?

www.suspiciouscloset.com

Last edited by Koumori : 07-13-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #38
kiwi_lady
Myu it

all i know is tht the little ribbon thing on the chogori is suppose to go on the left side ;; and the speical chogoris http://www.arewin.co.kr/sishop/img/item/147s.jpg like this one is for the royals and blah;;
oh and for norige, the chinese knot thing, it might serve you better just to buy one o.o
they have really pretty ones with like little daggers attached to them to like... protect yourself from stuff -_-;;;
there are different types of hanbooks and one is called gae ryang hanbok and its where they changed the style to be easier to wear for the present life style. they arent as pretty as older ones though in my opinion
i prolly made no sence at all but yes my little knowledge on hanbok;;
oh and chante, very lovely hanbok :3! looks really pretty !!

Cosplay Store for the Cosplay minded.
kiwi_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #39
lainey
D2R Cosplay

actually i know what you are talking about..the dagger thingy LOL

my bf wanted to get me one..it's something about "eternal chastity" and women carry it around to protect themself...now they have like a "plushie" version of it...just for the meaning lol

awesome news...my bf is to bring back a norigae from korea...less searching for me!!

but i still would like to find out about maedup if anyone knows O_O

now...i know that some wedding/special occassion and what the court ladies used to wear...has that circle thing in the front...

would it be *offensive* to wear that style to a christmas/new years party?? i think it'd be weird...because everyone else doesn't have the circle thingy...
Anime North |Otakon
Unread 07-14-2005, 04:01 AM   #40
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainey

would it be *offensive* to wear that style to a christmas/new years party?? i think it'd be weird...because everyone else doesn't have the circle thingy...
I don't know about offensive, but I think it would be a little weird. I think you'd be very overdressed for the occasion.

www.suspiciouscloset.com

Last edited by Koumori : 07-14-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Unread 07-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #41
kiwi_lady
Myu it

it wouldnt be weird but.. you will stand out.. alot due do the decorativeness of ur hanbok .. but u can become a princess for the day > D <
and i laughed about the plushie version of the dagger.. its so cute lol

Cosplay Store for the Cosplay minded.
kiwi_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #42
lainey
D2R Cosplay

how about those dancer hanboks O_O so colourful O_O O_O O_O

i think the dancer ones all have stripes on the sleeves..and are very colourful
Anime North |Otakon
Unread 07-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #43
Silence_Sigh
yawn... bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainey
actually i know what you are talking about..the dagger thingy LOL

my bf wanted to get me one..it's something about "eternal chastity" and women carry it around to protect themself...now they have like a "plushie" version of it...just for the meaning lol
lol... correction. its not meant to defend yourself. its meant to commit suicide by stabbing yourself to the heart... >.< and if u cant commit suicide with that lil knife because of whatever circumstances, ur suppose to bite ur tongue off...

See you at Otakon 07!
Unread 07-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #44
Silence_Sigh
yawn... bored...

oh, i just remembered! i had a few pics of my mum wearing hanbok from my parents anniversity party several years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...h/Picture4.jpg = family pic... older sis is missing cuz she was out of country... gawd... i hate the hair... mum forced me to cut like that... older bros on the other side. lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...h/Picture1.jpg = my mum and i. sorry bout the blue ink thumb print... XD... photographer forced me to smile... -.-...

See you at Otakon 07!
Unread 07-14-2005, 09:25 PM   #45
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence_Sigh
oh, i just remembered! i had a few pics of my mum wearing hanbok from my parents anniversity party several years ago.
You and your mom both look great. ^_^

www.suspiciouscloset.com