Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-28-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

Masq. at CN Curiousness

Iím sorry, but Iíve never been to the Masq. before, but I am planning to go (finally) this year, at CN, and I was wondering what is it all about?
Is it just people showing off their costumes with 60 second skits, songs and dances?
Or are there prizes given out as well? And, what are these prizes awarded for? Best costume? Best group cosplay? What about best costume of a specific character? For example, I always see a lot of Chii and Sasuke running around the con, so do they award the best ones?
If thatís the case, I hope thereís a best Lust contest, because Iím lovin my Lust costume this year! Hahah!

(Iím asking in this forum because I want to know specifically about CN, since thatís the con Iím going to)

Lotza Love!

Unread 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalButterfly
Iím sorry, but Iíve never been to the Masq. before, but I am planning to go (finally) this year, at CN, and I was wondering what is it all about?
Is it just people showing off their costumes with 60 second skits, songs and dances?
Or are there prizes given out as well? And, what are these prizes awarded for? Best costume? Best group cosplay? What about best costume of a specific character? For example, I always see a lot of Chii and Sasuke running around the con, so do they award the best ones?
If thatís the case, I hope thereís a best Lust contest, because Iím lovin my Lust costume this year! Hahah!

(Iím asking in this forum because I want to know specifically about CN, since thatís the con Iím going to)

Lotza Love!
Generally there are no pre-determined awards other than the divisional awards.
The top awards are:
Best In Show / Best Workmanship In Show / Judges Choice / Best Young Fan
(all or one of these may be awarded).

The Top Divisional Awards are:
Best Novice / Best Journyman / Best Artisan / Best Master
(all or none of these may be awarded).

Next are specific awards. ( usually known as the "Mosts and Bests") i.e. Best Dance, Most humourous, Best Choreography, Most Detailed, Best jewlery, etc.
These are given for both

~workmanship (your crasftsmanship upon close inspection, and how you executed your costume),

~and presentation, (how well you presented on stage, in character, dramatically, great audience reaction, costumes showed well on stage, etc).

There are also often honourable mentions, etc depending on the number and quality of entries. Honourable mentions do not count towards your total. Nor are awards awarded by one judge. i.e. The Jules Miles Award, The Derwin Mak award, etc.

***Also I must point out at this point, as it's come up as a question several times this year that Workmanship awards although generally more respected and much harder to get are NOT counted towards your total except in very rare instances. The reason they are not counted is that they are generally awarded by one judge and not the whole judging panel.

There is no hard and fast rules as to how many awards are given out at a Divisional System Masquerade, Nor are there specific awards, (other than the Best in Divison/Show awards), except in unusual circumstances.

Generally the judges are aware the set of guidelines and we adhear to the motto, "Excellence deserves recognition". There are many types of excellence possible in many areas of costuming and presenting. The awards reflect this by thier titles and awarding having a fluidity that reflects the diverse talents of the costuming community while also spotlighting the contestants personal achievements and area of excellence.

I hope this answer is helpful.

See you at CNA ( SFX ) !

~Dawn

For more information on the Divisional System, please visit http://www.costume-con.org/CClink/awards.shtml

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 06-28-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

Interesting. What are the awards? Ribbons?
Unread 06-28-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Yes, usually they are ribbons and certificates.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
Yes, usually they are ribbons and certificates.
The show organizers have promised ribbons this year. Never certificates at CNA.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote