Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 01-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
JoeBoeing
Man Kitty

Competing in masqurades with commisioned costumes question

Greetings all,

I'm wondering what you guys think of cos-players in commisioned costumes competing in Masquerades?

I know a lot on cons have rules against that but how would you feel if such cos-players had to compete at the profesional level and credit was given to the person who made it?

Would that be okay?

I'm not exactly sure what to think because I don't cos-play to compete and have never competed in a masquerade (I hope to this year).

I'm not going to comission a complete costume but I'm hoping that a friend will make me my staff for my Tsukasa costume and I'll be paying her with food money at AX. So, that is a comission.

Thanks and lets talk,

FRom,
Joe
JoeBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2003, 07:12 PM   #2
Sakura
Original Sakura

If they were competing at the professional level and credit was going to the creator, then that's fine by me. I just hate it when people get their parents to make their costumes and then compete in the novice category... Unless it's a child we're talking about and they're in the kid's category. Then it's also fine ^^; I hope that makes sense.
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2003, 07:15 PM   #3
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

No - the person who made the costume should be the person who gets the award. I know it's partly a modeling contest, but when you get down to it, it's about costuming.

And would you WANT to get an award for somebody else's work? I wouldn't.

Last edited by Koumori : 01-19-2003 at 07:57 PM.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

As long as the person in said costume is competing for performance ONLY, I don't see a problem.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
arisuchan
spirit of chivarly

well... while it would be nice to know that I costume I made for someone else was good enough to win an award, I think that I would rather someone else who worked long hours on their own costume win the award. More should go into an award winning costume other than just putting it on. And well I don't think anyone here will support someone saying they made a costume when they didn't, so I'm not even going to go into how wrong that is.
arisuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2003, 10:36 PM   #6
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

When I judge, I look more for costumes that person wearing made themselves. If its a commissioned costume, unless the creator is there and listed on the entry or the person wearing it is part of an official team for the creator - I really don't like seeing them in competition. A lot of costume contests totally ban commissioned costumes, but sometimes people lie to get on and that is so wrong.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2003, 11:29 PM   #7
soshi
onna kaizoku

I think it's kinda rude, and I think most commissioners do, too. most of them have a "not for competition or masquerade" rule.

lying and saying you made the costume, even if you enter for preformance only, is really immoral, rude, and just.. wrong. and if you think no one's going to find out... think again. I've observed first hand what wearing someone else's work without, and even against their permission can do. it's not pretty. seamstresses have extremely interesting ways of extracting revenge. o_O;
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 12:24 AM   #8
RoseDuelist
CHS Anime Club President

Since it is only a staff and it was from a friend I see no problem as long as she knows. If your entire costume was done by someone you don't know and shipped to you it's different.
RoseDuelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 12:27 AM   #9
XLainoftheWired
Sleep is for the weak.

I am totally against it. I have a friend who is in the upper class catagory of citizens, and he thinks hell just pay someone to make a Master Mage Clef outfit for him, and hell say he did it... I'm totally going to rat him out (dont get along with the wealthy too well)
XLainoftheWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 12:33 AM   #10
Celine
Remember me?

No. Even if it's for performance only, people are still going to see the costume on stage, and that will have an impact on judging. I'd prefer that people only compete in something they made. I also don't like the existence of the kid's category at all. However, no masquerade is ever going to make everybody happy, and I therefore don't enter. ^_^
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 12:44 AM   #11
peaseblossom
Admiral Hardass

I'd be totally pissed off if someone used a commission I did for them in a masquerade and claimed it as their own work. I put a lot of time and effort into each commission I do. It just wouldn't be right!
peaseblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 03:21 AM   #12
videogirlc

I only think commisioned costumes are okay for hall cosplaying. For masquerades tehy are only okay for performance judging. I do know someone who comissioned a costume but asked the person they comisioned for them if it was ok for them to enter a masquerade competition. They said it was ok and they enetered. How do you feel if they asked you if they can eneter a masquerade in it.
videogirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 03:26 AM   #13
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

I'm indifferent about the whole topic.

You see, traditionally, the Masquarde is meant for cosplayers and/or cosplay groups to show off their handy work meaning costumes they made themselves.
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a person going on stage in a costume I made for them...as long as they told where they don't claim it as their own creation.

I guess you can say this topic is a double edged sword
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 04:05 AM   #14
John Booty
The Waffle Truth

No. Absolutely not.

If you allow commissioned costumes in the masquerade competitions, then those competitions will become a matter of "who's got the most money to spend on commissions" instead of "who's the best costume-maker".

I can't sew at all, but if I had thousands of dollars I could pay some Hollywood peeps to create some costumes and probably win some masquerades, but what would be the point? :P Commissioned costumes get plenty of attention in hall cosplay; they don't belong in competitions.

Last edited by John Booty : 01-20-2003 at 04:07 AM.
John Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2003, 04:36 AM   #15
ling_xiaoyu2002
Summoner of Dragons

Very True JohnBooty....Comissioned costumes should not be allowed in the masqerade! Well my Battousai costume will only be for hall cosplay...it was comissioned...so nope...however my devil squall and micheal costume will be in the mini masquerade at least one of them at least....oh well....yeah you do have a point however.yup it's strictly probhibited if you want to see for your self here's the important info found at Anime Expo's website....

"Please note that costumes purchased or rented from a costume shop, designer direct, eBay, Yahoo Auctions, Yahoo Japan Auctions, Cospa, any other costume store or online resource, or any costumes made for you by a designer or seamstress, are prohibited. Ignoring this rule will negate your eligibility (and your group's eligibility; even if only one person in the group has a disqualified costume) to participate in the Masquerade and will also disqualify you for any performance and/or craftsmanship awards. Honesty is always the best policy; tell us if one person in your group made all the costumes. That person (as long as they are a member of your group) is still eligible for a Design Award (see the Awards section for more details). There are two notable exceptions to the "purchased or rented" policy:
Exception 1: "Found Item" costumes are allowed. This is basically a costume that was built by collecting various appropriate pieces from normal clothing stores and combining them together in a unique way (with or without sewing) to make a costume.
Exception 2: If the participant is in the Junior/Youth division, we completely understand if Mom and/or Dad (or a guardian) made or helped to make the costume. However, if this is the case, we would appreciate that Mom and/or Dad (or the guardian) be present at the Masquerade to answer the judges' questions and to supervise the participant.
Each contestant may present (wear) one and only one costume, or a group of people may wear one costume at the same time (i.e., a large costume that requires several people inside to move it). Multiple entries worn by the same person, or one entry worn by multiple people at different times, will not be allowed. No exceptions."

This info and more can be found at http://www.anime-expo.org/cosplay/masq_guidelines.html

and if you have a problem with these rules then you truely suck!!
(this does not apply to everyone, just a selective few that can get cocky and pretty snobby...gomenasai aeris...)

-The Agency
ling_xiaoyu2002 is offline   Reply With Quote