Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Metrocon

Unread 06-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
arachula21
Demon in the Air

metrocon2005

Hi, I just wanted to know how many of you guys went to Metrocon 2005 in Tampa last week. Also, what did you think about it? Was it what you were expecting or not? Thank you!
By the way, I found it o.k. I thought it was going to be bigger...but oh well, I still had lots of fun cosplaying as Alucard. Let me know what your opinion is, thanks!
arachula21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Rini-chan
Anime Princess

I went^^! By the way I think this should go in the "Others" section for conventions but it's ok^^;. Anyways this was my first convention and I had a lot of fun ! I met a lot of people and I also got to participate in anime idol . It was kind of what I expected but it was way bigger than I thought it was going to be. On Friday I cosplayed as Rinoa Heartily, Saturday as Jam from Guilty Gear, and Sunday I was Sakura from CardCaptor Sakura. The chess match was awesome and so were all the other contests. I'm definetly going back next year^^!
Rini-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Aleera
Master Thief

I went to the c-com meetup as well there. Friday- Rinny dress for teh FF Ball, SAT- Botan briefly *changed out after Chess Match* which was awesome btw, SUN- Kuja in 21 person FF group. Awesome con overall only minus was the costume contest took most of the day.
Unread 06-30-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Solo
Mou

Awww, I loved your Kuja costume. I've always wanted to crossplay as him but never had the bod to pull it off ^_^.
I was there the whole weekend and went as Yuna Dark Gunner, Random pink haired catgirl, Aya, EGL Pirate and Kaworu in plugsuit.
Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2005, 03:56 AM   #5
switchbladecros

I was there. I was one of the Mario's that were there, although I was the only one from The Movie!! The only down side, I would say, was how the costume contest was run. I dident get to do anything else but that on the final day...

Anybody who actually lives in the Tampa/St. Pete area should drop me a line. I'm always looking to meet new people.
switchbladecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2005, 07:20 AM   #6
Tia

Are you by any chance a USF student, switchbladecros?
Unread 07-01-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
ChicoChan
Pimp Named Slickback

Hey i had a great time at metrocon this year :P it's actually bigger then it was the past two years. I was in the human chess match and Im glad to here people enjoyed it ^_^ we put alot of work into it .

DON'T PANIC.

Queen Riot! on FacebookDeviantArtCureACParadiseTumblr
ChicoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
switchbladecros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia
Are you by any chance a USF student, switchbladecros?
I attent SPC.
switchbladecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
scandia
Overachiever

I was there. I had a great time. Best part was the "guilty pleasures clandestine animation" panel, as well as the dealers room and Select Start. Worst part was the lulls/disorganization and the AMV that won "best comedy".
Unread 08-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
Roxy Parkington

Metrocon 2005 was my first con and everyone who went with me had a blast! It was a lot of fun! I met Rini-chan while I was there and we spent Saturday together. Since it was my first con, I cosplayed as an original character from a fanfiction series. I definitely plan on going next year and am thinking over possible costumes. ^_^

~Roxy~
Roxy Parkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2005, 09:29 PM   #11
Shania_Nowhere
Risembool Ranger!

Whee, I had a blast. ^.^ Other than the issues with sound (mics) they seemed to have during some of the events (chess match, Anime Idol), it was completely awesome. I don't mind waiting for things, I always take that time to make friends, talk to already made friends, or just run around taking pictures of other people, hehe. I was thoroughly enjoying myself with all the glomps and pictures and such, and meeting my friends most of all. ^.^ Seeing Vic again made my whole day, wheeeeeeeeee...much love for Vic! <3 I can't wait for next year, I'm bringing all my friends with me, haha!
Unread 08-05-2005, 12:08 AM   #12
Hino_Rei-chan
Senshi of Flame & Passion

I was there. ^_^ I was the miko Hino Rei on Friday, and Kuchiki Rukia Shinigami on Sat/Sun with the Bleach group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchbladecros
The only down side, I would say, was how the costume contest was run. I dident get to do anything else but that on the final day...
Okay, one of the reasons for that: The person who was running it didn't realize that she was actually running it until the judging was getting underway. She thought she was just helping out with it. Plus they had a judge bail.. It wasn't very well organized, no, and you can't blame her for it since she didn't know she was supposed to organize and run it when she just thought she was volunteering to help. Not to mention the computer kept trying die. *sigh*
Hino_Rei-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #13
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hino_Rei-chan

Okay, one of the reasons for that: The person who was running it didn't realize that she was actually running it until the judging was getting underway. She thought she was just helping out with it. Plus they had a judge bail.. It wasn't very well organized, no, and you can't blame her for it since she didn't know she was supposed to organize and run it when she just thought she was volunteering to help. Not to mention the computer kept trying die. *sigh*

Being one of the judges, I think I should correct you on a few things.

One, no judge bailed during judging (bathroom breaks aside). Anyone who was judged in the contest, was judged by all three for the most part (minus, again, any possible bathroom breaks).

The girl who was 'suppose to be running it' was the same person who ran it last year. She ran it last year, so they said for her to do it again. She knew very well she was the one running it, and could have saved alot of headaches had she talked to those running the con. She didn't.

The computer never died during judging, but it would've been nice to have pens and paper for those not typing at it.

Yes, it was very, very badly run. I would have liked a nice quite corner to judge people, and not the middle of the convention hall. It was also bad that many people did not follow the rules of the contest (50% made, you know the deal), or entered costumes that had one large awards at previous cons.

One can only hope it is better next year. -shrug-

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #14
Hino_Rei-chan
Senshi of Flame & Passion

Sorry, it's what I was told. *shrug* I had talked to her after the con. But I'm being told things by other people, so whatever.
Hino_Rei-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:26 AM   #15
Shania_Nowhere
Risembool Ranger!

Meh, no need to loom on the past, we can learn from it and make the next contest better. ^_^ Hopefully I'll be able to go to the next one, I had to leave Sunday. T_T