Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 07-05-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

Has Your COSTUME Ever Been Mistaken?

Has anyone every called you a character that you weren't cosplaying as?

Luckily, this hasn't happened to me.. but I'm sure it's happened to at least one of us.
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
misato is hot
the reference book

in a way that happend to me

the first con i went to i started to get enveus of all the cosplayers walking around so i decided if i dont have a costume im goona at least ware something stupid around

so for three days i wore the hotel bathrobe around with an indiana jones hat on (fadora)

whal in the con suite some chick asked me if i was from lupin the 3rd

i guess she thought i was saposta be jigen on his off day

funny side story is that at the same con the next year tho i had a costume this time for the first day i still walkd around in the hotel bathrobe and some kid behind me said to his friend that i stole his idea??
misato is hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
Umi
Bass-inating

All the time. ^__^ My Alvida costume from One Piece gets called Nico Robin (also from One Piece) pretty often.

I guess... they both have black hair and wear cowboy hats >_>
Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
Yggdrasil Pie
WRYYYYYYY

Mmm~ well the first time that happened to me was actually a few days ago at AX. I was cosplaying as a priestess from ragnarok online and i got mistaken for someone in chrono crusade. I never watched that series though, i'm guessing the costumes look simular. o_O
Unread 07-05-2005, 01:35 AM   #5
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasofino184
Has anyone every called you a character that you weren't cosplaying as?

Luckily, this hasn't happened to me.. but I'm sure it's happened to at least one of us.
All the time... especially before Get Backers got more popular - people thought Ban was any number of other characters, none of which I'd seen the anime for because I'm more a gamer than an anime fan. And I had someone ask if I was supposed to be Gackt at ACen this year.

And the Sydney costume... let's just say it inspired my latest LJ userpic:

(Unlike Sydney here, I was more amused than anything. I may reuse the one metal arm for a quickie "Ed in black tank top" cosplay sometime, since my friend has an Ed wig. )
Unread 07-05-2005, 01:36 AM   #6
Random Karen
Sound Effects Ninja

This actually happened to me just a week ago at a small con I went to (Jafax). I'm not quite sure who they thought I was (someone from Hellsing?), but two guys came up and were like, "Are you so-and-so from the same show as us?" I think the character wears red clothes and so they were confused. Taking that I was wearing a maroon-ish/burgandy color with a long PURPLE wig... I'm not sure how they mistook me. lol

I've had other people look at me as Chrono and go "You look familiar. What are you from?" When I tell them, sometimes I get, "Ohhhh yeah!" and the rest of the time it's a blank look of "nope, never heard of it."

Planned: Tira Misu - Sorcerer Hunters, Kokonoe - BlazBlue

Possibles: Tifa; Natsume; UK; Asch; Hino Kahoko; Wolfram, Princess Tamina - Prince of Persia
Random Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #7
Lee-san

My Rock Lee has been mistaken for Gai-sensei before, and now it's going to get even worse with Part 2 of Naruto because they both wear vests and the only remaining difference (visible in cosplay, at least) is that Lee wears handwraps.
Lee: "What is it?"
Tsunade: "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico."
Lee-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 02:58 AM   #8
TsukasaAmou
Madkazer

I was mistaken yesterday at the AX in Anaheim because someone wanted me to hold their sword and we were right in front of the Bandi stand... I got free stuff because they thought I was from dot hack. and then earlier that day (still holding the sword) I was put in the dot hack gathering and got a lot of pictures taken of me as the "the wrong character"... I was cosplaying as Tsukasa Amou and was mistaken for at least three other people. I was asked "are you from angel sanctuary?" then told & hugged "OMG, it's Crad!" But some people got it right on the second guess. at least most of he people who came up to me knew who I was, but I have more memoires of the people who mistook me for someone else, and people who criticized my costume... It took me too long and too much money for them to say how "I did this part and that part wrong" and what not ... but all in all, it was fun, I got a free T-shirt and CD. that's the best part. ^.^
Unread 07-05-2005, 02:59 AM   #9
inertia
are you 'domy?

In two of my costumes I'm often mistaken for an Oscar (BeruBara) cosplayer. Actually, I cosplay Kamijo from the visual kei band Lareine. I don't mind though... Oscar's awesome and Kamijo DOES resemble her. (LOL)

My black "Metamorphose" Kamijo costume (the one in my icon) was mistaken for Diamond from "Les Bijoux." Not a surprise... Diamond's costume is an exact replica of the Kamijo one. The only difference is that the mask is worn on the other side of the face, but it's a mirror image and otherwise identical.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 03:14 AM   #10
Evil Kimba
Captain Bubbletron

At my first con, my CCS outfit got mistaken for a Digi Charat character...o_O

My other ones are just a biiiit more distinctive...>.>
Evil Kimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #11
MysticCookie
Meowza! =3

Yeah sort of...when I was cosplaying May from Guilty Gear ( that game is like totally unknown over here >.<) everybody thought I was somebody from One Piece <.<"

And I felt sorry for my friend when she was cosplaying Mana from Bloody Roar 4, everybody thought she was Kikyo v.v Nobody at the whole con recognized her, even though I was running around with her as Uriko >.>

Work in Progress...
----------------->
MysticCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 06:03 AM   #12
EdNChrnoFanGurl
Go West!

I havent been mistaken for anyone yet, but I know my Chrno costume probably wont be recognized as easily as more popular anime characters -_-;
Unread 07-05-2005, 06:25 AM   #13
scandia
Overachiever

Characters of mine that have been mistaken:

- Someone at the ACC Expo 2002 thought my Kendappa costume was Belldandy! As if I would ever cosplay Belldandy.

- At Dream Con 2004, someone thought my Ellone was Rinoa. At least that's close- same game and all.

- At Megacon this year, someone thought my Commandant Oscar was from Utena. Rose of Versailles DID inspire Utena, so at least there is a basis for the confusion.

Can't remember any other costumes of mine that have been confused.
Unread 07-05-2005, 06:55 AM   #14
Purple Flames
Rollin' like Jack Dempsey

At Katsucon this year when I was cosplying Yun from Street Fighter III, a few people mistook me for Yang, Yun's twin brother. Since SFIII isn't as well-known as the rest of the games in the series and the fact that they are twins, I can see how people could have gotten things a little mixed up.

That's the only time that's ever happened.
Purple Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #15
Doodle_MG
Artist/Cosplayer =3

Somehow, both my Squall costume, and my Dante costume, were mistaken for Cloud of FFVII several times by several different people. oO;;;;