Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Pacific Media Expo

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 07-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
Hon Kudasai
Paper Master in Training
 
Hon Kudasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 64
Couple Questions About PMX

I just came back from AX, and it just wasn't enough for me, so I'm considering attending PMX this year, as well. I'd like to find out a few things from people who've gone, before I make my decision. Mainly just the basic stuff like how large is it, what I can expect to see in terms of events, and how much the tickets are. Any other info you'd like to add would be greatly appreciated. ^_^
Hon Kudasai is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 07-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King
 
Evil Bishounen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,167
PMX is only in its second year this year. So, it's not as big as Anime Expo. I'm sure it'll be bigger this year than it was last year though, because last year it fell on the same weekend as Fanime and that drew a LOT of potential attendance away. Still, don't expect 30,000+ attendees.

PMX is only 3 days versus the 4 of AX, but badges are also cheaper. However, some of the bigger concerts do not come covered as part of the badge admission, and you need to buy a separate ticket for them. (This was the case for T.M.Revolution last year.) I don't know if this policy is changing or not.

There are many more concerts than there are at Anime Expo, with less focus on panels and screening rooms. (They do still have them, though. There are screening rooms for anime, and some for Asian cinema.)

The dealer's hall wasn't that big last year, but I personally found it MUCH more satisfying than the hall at Anime Expo. The PMX dealer's hall also had the professional wrestlers doing their thing in the back. XD

If you like diversity, PMX is worth checking out. It's pretty different from Anime Expo. There IS some prominent anime stuff there, but it's definitely not the sole focus of the con. It wasn't a hyper-busy con last year, but I still enjoyed it.

For information, go here: www.pacificmediaexpo.com
There's also a forum linked on their website, where the staffers will answer questions. They're also pretty receptive to attendee input.
__________________
FF9 cosplay? Hit me up!

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.

Last edited by Evil Bishounen : 07-06-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Hon Kudasai
Paper Master in Training
 
Hon Kudasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 64
Awesome. ^^ How about the cosplay? Is there a high turnout?
Hon Kudasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King
 
Evil Bishounen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,167
There wasn't as much cosplay at PMX last year as there is at AX. Plus, the cosplay tends to be really sharply split between anime and video game people, and all the J-rock and lolitas and original gothic looking stuff. (Along with people who buy stuff at Hot Topic and say they're cosplaying. *cough* )

There seemed to be a bit more on the goth and J-rock side overall. I myself cosplayed old school SNES (Secret of Mana!!!) with a couple other people, and the cosplay contest was still mostly anime and video game costumes. I saw a small collection of Inu Yasha costumes over the course of the con also, and a few others.
__________________
FF9 cosplay? Hit me up!

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
shogun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbishounen
There wasn't as much cosplay at PMX last year as there is at AX. Plus, the cosplay tends to be really sharply split between anime and video game people, and all the J-rock and lolitas and original gothic looking stuff. (Along with people who buy stuff at Hot Topic and say they're cosplaying. *cough* )

There seemed to be a bit more on the goth and J-rock side overall. I myself cosplayed old school SNES (Secret of Mana!!!) with a couple other people, and the cosplay contest was still mostly anime and video game costumes. I saw a small collection of Inu Yasha costumes over the course of the con also, and a few others.
I think the % is roughly the same, but the number of attendees is way lower, so you don't get the critical mass as often. However, there is really only one gathering spot for cosplayers, so I imagine they won't be as spread out this year.

The paneling is shifting a lot this year. I'd really like to do some more creative events and interactive paneling. In my opinion, anime rooms are fairly passe. Most fans download or rent what they want to watch. My goal for the anime video room is not to show anything commercially available.

We're planning a fairly huge EGL event this year since we saw there was so much participation last year. It should be announced in about two weeks.

Finally, we hope that the cash prizes for the CosFest will kick up the competition a notch. We won't be offering free trips to Japan, but diehard fans can buy more cloth and materials with their prizes.

Mike
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #6
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King
 
Evil Bishounen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun
The paneling is shifting a lot this year. I'd really like to do some more creative events and interactive paneling. In my opinion, anime rooms are fairly passe. Most fans download or rent what they want to watch. My goal for the anime video room is not to show anything commercially available.
That's really cool to hear. I haven't stepped into a convention screening room since 2000.
__________________
FF9 cosplay? Hit me up!

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
RandomSchoolBoy
I'm Chained to Desire
 
RandomSchoolBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 80
Yea I remember Last Years PMX in May... Though I only went for one day, TM Revolution and Nami Tamaki Concert ^^ I like PMX more than AX because its more asain pop culture than anime
RandomSchoolBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #8
Rogue Marvel
Pirate Love
 
Rogue Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 937
The cash prizes should make the cosfest big...I don't think the prize was well advertised last year and the fact that it conflicted with fanime didn't help either...I expect it to have a big turn out this year
__________________
A cosplayer is some one who wears costumes for fun. They don't have to make the costume, but it sure makes it more fun to wear!
Rogue Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
shogun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 160
Right now, we're making banners promoting the prizes using some of the winners from last year. I'm hoping to get them up soon.

Mike
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
Claire
Registered User
 
Claire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 358
I think the advertisement department for PMX might need to pick it up a bit. I'm so used to all my con-going friends knowing about everything before me, I didn't even think about spreading the word - but when I got back, I kept getting the reaction of, "You were WHERE? TMR WAS THERE?? I would have gone if I'd KNOWN!" ... from people inside and outside of California.

I was on masquerade staff (didn't really do much, but, I tried), and was really impressed with the masq overall. I've seen a lot of them, and rarely do you get such a high number of really GOOD skits, but the entire show was just great. I think the cash prizes, like others have said, really helped bring out the serious competators. It was just unfortunate that the Psycho Le Cemu concert was going on at the same time, and so several people dropped out to go watch them instead.
__________________
[enter cool banner here]
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2005, 10:23 PM   #11
dianannsano
Ooooh la la!
 
dianannsano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 87
PMX is my favorite convention so far.
No lines, more freedom, more events to look forward to, kick-arse guests of honor...the atmosphere was so much more... fun.
__________________
Har har har.
"I would rather read a good book than go out with a guy." - Myself
I admit it... I'm a bookworm and darn proud of it.
dianannsano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2005, 02:10 AM   #12
shogun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 160
Last year, we had ads in every magazine, including Animerica, Sushi & Tofu, Newtype and LA Weekly. Every AX attendee got a flier. We went to every convention to do a promotion. We even took out TV ads on the Cartoon Network. I think in the end, word of mouth is the best way to get things out. That's why we're focusing on making so many different banners this year.

BTW, are you on the PMX forums for the discussion on the EGL event? If this is the same Clair I'm thinking of, we'd really like to have you involved in the planning.

Mike


Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I think the advertisement department for PMX might need to pick it up a bit. I'm so used to all my con-going friends knowing about everything before me, I didn't even think about spreading the word - but when I got back, I kept getting the reaction of, "You were WHERE? TMR WAS THERE?? I would have gone if I'd KNOWN!" ... from people inside and outside of California.

I was on masquerade staff (didn't really do much, but, I tried), and was really impressed with the masq overall. I've seen a lot of them, and rarely do you get such a high number of really GOOD skits, but the entire show was just great. I think the cash prizes, like others have said, really helped bring out the serious competators. It was just unfortunate that the Psycho Le Cemu concert was going on at the same time, and so several people dropped out to go watch them instead.

Last edited by shogun : 07-12-2005 at 01:40 PM.
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 03:28 AM   #13
L to the 3rd
aka Scrawny Squall
 
L to the 3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,343
Looking foward to PMX this year. WE still got time to work on costumes. whoo hooo.
__________________
They create a desolation and they call it peace
L to the 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #14
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host
 
Freight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,668
Hyatt is pretty good

Y'know, I think the Hyatt and surrounding area is good for cosplay. The lobby is nice, and the staff was very kind during the overload from AX '02. There's also the nice open space in front of the LBCC / across from the upper Hyatt lobby level, and the ponds and bridges around the side of the Hyatt.

Not to mention the great shallow fountain in front of the theater. It's just a matter of cosplayers being willing to walk a bit to get to the great locations.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
shogun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 160
I was thinking that the Rainbow Lagoon would be perfect for cosplay gatherings, but cosplayers tend to prefer to gather in the most congested areas...

Mike
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.