Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > San Diego Comic Con

Unread 07-17-2005, 03:38 AM   #1
AnimeGamer
Photographer / Blogger

SDCC Masquerade

This is a congrats to all the participants that was part of this year's San Diego Comic-Con Masquerade. I was silently ninja cheering you all on as I was one of the five catcher ninjas (guys who are next to the stage to make sure you don't go falling off stage and getting hurt).

I never thought out of the three or four SDCC Masquerades that I would ever see 2002 topped. Good job 2005, you guys just topped that year.

And I was dead wrong on the no-play rule. Dead wrong.

Congrats to Dany (if that was you in the Vampire Hunter D costume!) and to whoever Nightcrawler and Lara Croft (was that Suzushi-chan? gratz! if it is!) and to everyone who got an award and to everyone else just for a great performance.

Really, the only problems that were encountered were some people overstaying, some doing hit-and-runs, and one guy who took forever to change in his transformer mode. =P

Oh yeah, and audio problems. That was the biggie tonight, and it hung some great acts out to dry.

Anyway, I have no idea if everyone read the advice we made in one of the threads started last year but something seemed to have made the masquerade much better.

In any case, 2006 has it's hand's full to follow up.

That's all my thoughts for this year's Masquerade. Please use this thread to place your guys thoughts on this year's masquerade if you have seen it (or part of it).

And oh yeah, Eurobeat King is a photography master.

There are links to all the photos I take on the sidebar of the blog.

Upcoming Conventions/Events:
San Diego Comic-Con 2014
Pacific Media Expo 2014
BlizzCon 2014

Italics indicate there is a chance I will not be able to attend due to various reasons or because I have not yet bought a convention badge.
AnimeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2005, 04:58 AM   #2
Suzushichan
outta here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer
This is a congrats to all the participants that was part of this year's San Diego Comic-Con Masquerade. I was silently ninja cheering you all on as I was one of the five catcher ninjas (guys who are next to the stage to make sure you don't go falling off stage and getting hurt).

I never thought out of the three or four SDCC Masquerades that I would ever see 2002 topped. Good job 2005, you guys just topped that year.

And I was dead wrong on the no-play rule. Dead wrong.

Congrats to Dany (if that was you in the Vampire Hunter D costume!) and to whoever Nightcrawler and Lara Croft (was that Suzushi-chan? gratz! if it is!) and to everyone who got an award and to everyone else just for a great performance.

Really, the only problems that were encountered were some people overstaying, some doing hit-and-runs, and one guy who took forever to change in his transformer mode. =P

Oh yeah, and audio problems. That was the biggie tonight, and it hung some great acts out to dry.

Anyway, I have no idea if everyone read the advice we made in one of the threads started last year but something seemed to have made the masquerade much better.

In any case, 2006 has it's hand's full to follow up.

That's all my thoughts for this year's Masquerade. Please use this thread to place your guys thoughts on this year's masquerade if you have seen it (or part of it).

And oh yeah, Eurobeat King is a photography master.
um, no. that wasn't me. i did the summons group.

~suzushi
Unread 07-17-2005, 05:23 AM   #3
Kid Groove
Kid Groove

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzushichan

~suzushi
Yeah she did LEGENDS and she got mentioned on another skit for costume design!!! way to go misses multitalented.. you totally kick ass.. thanks for letting me help I had great fun

-Mizaru aka Anthony
Kid Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
AnimeGamer
Photographer / Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzushichan

~suzushi
Oh, whoops. What sucks with sitting right in front of the stage in indian/crouch mode the entire time is leg cramps and the fact you don't have a good view of any of the stage screens.

I wasn't sure if it was you, so good to know it isn't.

Anyway, off to comic-con now...

There are links to all the photos I take on the sidebar of the blog.

Upcoming Conventions/Events:
San Diego Comic-Con 2014
Pacific Media Expo 2014
BlizzCon 2014

Italics indicate there is a chance I will not be able to attend due to various reasons or because I have not yet bought a convention badge.
AnimeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
hello kenney
camera-fu

can someone give me a discription of jack and zero? im not sure which one that was or if i missed it.
hello kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Jaina Solo
Rurouni Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer
What was wrong with him? That's Christophe on c.com, and I thought he did awesome (that transformer is friggin' amazing). It takes some time to put that thing on, you know, and when you're nervous onstage, it'll take even longer.

There were a couple of people who needed to get offsage faster than him, IMO. :\
Unread 07-17-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
Velvy

Disney Princes and Princesses! They were awesome. Quite seriously, in all the skits I've seen performed at masquerades, this one tops them all in terms of humor and creativity and choreography. I only saw a portion of the Comic Con masquerade but I'm so glad I didn't miss that skit. It completely knocked my socks off! I'd really like to see it available online so I can re-watch it!
Unread 07-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #8
Genki_Usagi
Little Miss innocence

Quote:
Disney Princes and Princesses! They were awesome. Quite seriously, in all the skits I've seen performed at masquerades, this one tops them all in terms of humor and creativity and choreography. I only saw a portion of the Comic Con masquerade but I'm so glad I didn't miss that skit. It completely knocked my socks off! I'd really like to see it available online so I can re-watch it!
thank you sooo much!! I played Alice and we had so much fun!!!! theere were so many great groups, we were totaly cheering on the Nightcrawler and laura Croft and the Jack and Zero and lots of other groups.
Unread 07-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina Solo
What was wrong with him? That's Christophe on c.com, and I thought he did awesome (that transformer is friggin' amazing). It takes some time to put that thing on, you know, and when you're nervous onstage, it'll take even longer.

There were a couple of people who needed to get offsage faster than him, IMO. :\
*cough* Mordor Orc *cough*

But really... Masq was AWESOME all around and I loved watching it, helping out being a stage ninja and repair woman. SO much fun. I can't wait to participate next year myself for the first time.

I just wish the ones I were favoring won...
Xaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 11:14 PM   #10
Rogue Marvel
Pirate Love

I was a member of the summons/legends group, I was the shiva. I had alot of fun doing the comic con masqurade even if it ment being horribly uncomfortable for a few hours before the masq started and we went on(always go to the bathroom before you get into costume..even if you don't think you have to go).

I really liked alot of the skits, not sure what my favorite was I liked most of them.
Unread 07-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #11
Wolfgirl
BE ONE with the wolfs

Hehe you probally caught me or directed me on stage seeing that I could not see.

I was the disneys gargoyles

I found it funny that they put the two disney acts next to eachother.

I was'nt in it for winning I was trying to support the new disneys gargoyles comic book and the gargoyle gathering convention this year.

I had so much fun . Everyone looked so great.
Unread 07-17-2005, 11:43 PM   #12
aimee
it's a sparkly!

I'm a big fan of gargoyles for a long time, it was really fun to see your gargoyles costume, they are rare!

We (A.J., Cheryll, Judy and I) were the H.C.C. Rose of Versailles group, we're super grateful for the award we got, seriously, it meant a lot. Also grateful that they let us try again after something went wonky with our sound. I'm not really sure what happened, we provided two completely different format cds... and it worked later...? It seemed like we weren't the only group either to be suddenly faced with being on stage with no music.

I guess my main suggestion would be, in the future, if something like that happens, to dim the lights and have a stage ninja TELL THE M.C. that they are having technical difficulties, instead of having us "perform anyway" with no music, with 3 members already on stage not knowing what is going on. Basically, we had 3 people on stage, with the lights dimmed, and then the music was supposed to start. The 3 on stage had no idea why the music wasnt starting or what to do without it (as we had rehearsed synching all our movements to music, etc...)

Also, it was hurtful to have the M.C. say something like "Well I guess that was "ART"" after we were already so embarrassed at having to basically walk out and make fools of ourselves, not knowing what was going on, and then stumble offstage. If he'd been told maybe he wouldnt have said something like that, but what if we were just an unusual group...? It seems mean for the M.C. to make disparaging comments like that. It's hard enough for cosplayers to get up on stage without having to deal with that. It was really hard to go out and "try again" to perform. The audience, and our fellow contestants were super sweet though and cheered us on, so that really helped to go try again after getting "boo-ed" by the audience the first time because Comic-Con couldn't play our cd for some reason. I feel bad also, as it seems like a few other groups had their sound messed up too, I'm not really sure what happened. I know a few cons test out the sound BEFORE the masquerade and burn the sound files to a master file, to make sure that there's no problems like this, I think that's a great idea.

back to the positive though, again, we're super grateful, and the costumes at comic-con are always so fabulous, it really means alot to get a win here. and the stage ninjas were really sweet trying to help us out in our unweildy costumes, they all seemed to be looking out for everyone as there were a lot of groups with hard to walk around in costumes. Everyone seemed well taken care of. Overall the audience seemed nice to contestants. I remember about 3 years or so ago when they were pretty nasty, and it seems like they are more forgiving and more rooting for the contestants now.
again, so many amazing groups this year, I feel really lucky to have been able to see them up close. The Jack Skellington and Zero group that got Best in Show were amazingly wonderful. Last year those two had that amazing tree and flower costume. They always have such gorgeous stuff and I was so happy to see them win this year. Also Kent's Van Hellsing group was amazing, and the Disney Princesses had such lovely costumes and funny skit (ALADDIN RULES!!!), I could go on and on, there were just so many amazing skits. I wish I could have seen the Nightcrawler's skit, I heard he was amazing!!
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2005, 01:19 AM   #13
Wolfgirl
BE ONE with the wolfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee
I'm a big fan of gargoyles for a long time, it was really fun to see your gargoyles costume, they are rare!

We (A.J., Cheryll, Judy and I) were the H.C.C. Rose of Versailles group, we're super grateful for the award we got, seriously, it meant a lot. Also grateful that they let us try again after something went wonky with our sound. I'm not really sure what happened, we provided two completely different format cds... and it worked later...? It seemed like we weren't the only group either to be suddenly faced with being on stage with no music.

I guess my main suggestion would be, in the future, if something like that happens, to dim the lights and have a stage ninja TELL THE M.C. that they are having technical difficulties, instead of having us "perform anyway" with no music, with 3 members already on stage not knowing what is going on. Basically, we had 3 people on stage, with the lights dimmed, and then the music was supposed to start. The 3 on stage had no idea why the music wasnt starting or what to do without it (as we had rehearsed synching all our movements to music, etc...)

Also, it was hurtful to have the M.C. say something like "Well I guess that was "ART"" after we were already so embarrassed at having to basically walk out and make fools of ourselves, not knowing what was going on, and then stumble offstage. If he'd been told maybe he wouldnt have said something like that, but what if we were just an unusual group...? It seems mean for the M.C. to make disparaging comments like that. It's hard enough for cosplayers to get up on stage without having to deal with that. It was really hard to go out and "try again" to perform. The audience, and our fellow contestants were super sweet though and cheered us on, so that really helped to go try again after getting "boo-ed" by the audience the first time because Comic-Con couldn't play our cd for some reason. I feel bad also, as it seems like a few other groups had their sound messed up too, I'm not really sure what happened. I know a few cons test out the sound BEFORE the masquerade and burn the sound files to a master file, to make sure that there's no problems like this, I think that's a great idea.

back to the positive though, again, we're super grateful, and the costumes at comic-con are always so fabulous, it really means alot to get a win here. and the stage ninjas were really sweet trying to help us out in our unweildy costumes, they all seemed to be looking out for everyone as there were a lot of groups with hard to walk around in costumes. Everyone seemed well taken care of. Overall the audience seemed nice to contestants. I remember about 3 years or so ago when they were pretty nasty, and it seems like they are more forgiving and more rooting for the contestants now.
again, so many amazing groups this year, I feel really lucky to have been able to see them up close. The Jack Skellington and Zero group that got Best in Show were amazingly wonderful. Last year those two had that amazing tree and flower costume. They always have such gorgeous stuff and I was so happy to see them win this year. Also Kent's Van Hellsing group was amazing, and the Disney Princesses had such lovely costumes and funny skit (ALADDIN RULES!!!), I could go on and on, there were just so many amazing skits. I wish I could have seen the Nightcrawler's skit, I heard he was amazing!!

The MC was really a jerk this year. But I can tell you everyone loved your costumes.

Hehe I love gargoyles too. I'm helping advertize the garg gathering this year. Are you going?

You know what is funny I used to talk to yu in s8 alot way way back when thoughs chat rooms where fun. I was kind of shy so I didn't come say hi when you guys where in your costumes in the green room. I wanted to though. I really love your costumes I know how much time you put into them.

If you did'nt win something I would of had to break my foam brick over someones head:P
Unread 07-18-2005, 01:26 AM   #14
bob_owns_me

i want to thank you again xaila

my neck hurts from that head dress, but i would do it again for Suzushi-sama
bob_owns_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2005, 01:32 AM   #15
SCLNeptune
Princess Neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvy
Wendy here from the Princess Skit, thank you so much for your kind words. We are workingon somebody getting it posted online asap

-Sailor Neptune

I was Wendy Darling in the SDCC 2005 Disney Princes and Princess Skit

I was Draco Malfoy in the SDCC 2006 Harry Potter Skit

I was Claudia from Interview with the Vampire in the SDCC 2010 Vampire Skit
SCLNeptune is offline   Reply With Quote