Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 07-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Jakotsu_sama

Canadian Cosplay Challenge

http://www.kakumeimedia.com/canadian/

This is a contest for Canadians who wish to compete in a little friendly cosplay competition. Think of it as Canada's own lil Cosplay Summit.

Have fun. ^_^
Jakotsu_sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2005, 02:25 AM   #2
heki-chan
SMA-Cosplay
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakotsu_sama
http://www.kakumeimedia.com/canadian/

This is a contest for Canadians who wish to compete in a little friendly cosplay competition. Think of it as Canada's own lil Cosplay Summit.

Have fun. ^_^
I'm just curious...

"Please send in your name, age, city & province, scanned proof of citizenship,a brief write up on each costume which includes construction notes, character and series name for each costume, and any other information you would like to tell us. We will not post your full name on this website, however, if you wish to include a nickname simply include it in your e-mail. "

Isn't it illegal and/or not a good idea to scan our citzenship cards and send them electronically to a third party organization? O_O

Other than that, sounds funky!
heki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 02:51 AM   #3
KurosakiHisoka
Canadian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heki-chan
I'm just curious...

"Please send in your name, age, city & province, scanned proof of citizenship,a brief write up on each costume which includes construction notes, character and series name for each costume, and any other information you would like to tell us. We will not post your full name on this website, however, if you wish to include a nickname simply include it in your e-mail. "

Isn't it illegal and/or not a good idea to scan our citzenship cards and send them electronically to a third party organization? O_O

Other than that, sounds funky!

We clarified the ID thing a little bit.
KurosakiHisoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 04:48 AM   #4
nuriko001
fuwakyo

is it that serious that you need to show iD???
Unread 07-19-2005, 05:15 AM   #5
KurosakiHisoka
Canadian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuriko001
is it that serious that you need to show iD???
Yes because it's hard to know the difference between a Canadian, American, and many other nationalities just by looking at them. To keep it a fair (and Canadian) competition, we'd like to see ID.
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
Vicky
Now with more bwag

Quote:
*For proof of citizenship please scan an item such as a student card, care card, birth certificate or any other form of Canadian ID. We realize this may seem a little extreme, but we want to make sure that all participants are Canadian citizens. We will not use your personal information in any way!
WOW I hope people don't actually enter for this.
A student card doesn't prove you're a Canadian CITIZEN, for starters. It proves you attend school in Canada. I can be an American citizen and attend a Canadian College.

Legal documentations aren't something I'd suggest anyone throw around the Internet.
I'll keep mine, and my identity, thanks.

edit Also, I'm not one to measure someone's knowledge by their age, but from what I gather this is a couple of 18-23 year olds? No thanks!

Last edited by Vicky : 07-19-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

I don't know...it sounded pretty cool at first, but Heki and Yohko bring up a good point. I never thought of it like that.
If this was being held somewhere, like in studios or malls across Canada (malls have fashion shows too, however they are sponsered by the stores in the mall) I might reconsider, but sending out personal information, especially with threat of identity theft, seems too risky for my liking. Besides, I'm sure there are many better cosplayers out there than me. :P
Unread 07-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
shdwstrm
SAKURA Member #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan
I don't know...it sounded pretty cool at first, but Heki and Yohko bring up a good point. I never thought of it like that.
If this was being held somewhere, like in studios or malls across Canada (malls have fashion shows too, however they are sponsered by the stores in the mall) I might reconsider, but sending out personal information, especially with threat of identity theft, seems too risky for my liking. Besides, I'm sure there are many better cosplayers out there than me. :P
I was doing a bit of digging around. With the request of copies of personal information without a proper consent form also being applied is definetly frowned upon in accordance to the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Upon further look at the site running the canadian cosplay competition, it's just a group of cosplayers setting this up and have any links whatsoever to worldcon or any other national or international costuming organization. I personaly wouldn't reccomend doing it.

I'm not taking a stab at the people trying to set up this competition. I think it's a good idea, but you haveta look at this from a legal stand too. I don't want to see people getting in throuble. What I can suggest is that you create a consent form and have that submitted by snail-mail. I know it sounds like a pain in the butt, but anyone can type a person's name and say it's them, with a hand signed consent, you have indefinete proof that it is them.
shdwstrm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
KurosakiHisoka
Canadian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuko-chan
This is just starting out as an online competition in order to advertise, but we intend on holding a live version of it at AE 2006 and Anime North 2006 with permission from the convention. If the ID is such a deterrent, perhaps you have some suggestions for how we can be sure entrants are Canadian?

Truly I don't see what our ages have to do with it. The members of Kakumei have been attending conventions for years, have participated in over 10 cosplay competitions, and the members range from 16-28. We are trying to hold a legitimate contest in order to give Canadians a chance to show off their cosplay skills. How old do you have to be in order to hold an online contest and distribute prizes? Also, what do you think we could do with a scanned copy of your ID? If a photocopy mail in system is preferable, we can arrange that as well. Or, perhaps only the winners need to prove citizenship to claim their prizes. There are several options, but kindly don't bash this competition on the grounds that we aren't older people. That is a very prejudice statement.

"WOW I hope people don't actually enter for this.
A student card doesn't prove you're a Canadian CITIZEN, for starters. It proves you attend school in Canada. I can be an American citizen and attend a Canadian College."

We do realize this, however, we also can't expect thirteen year olds to have government issued ID. We will honestly look into alternatives on the ID front, but please don't discourage people from entering simply because you have an unfounded hunch that we are some sort of scam organization. We all attend conventions with fellow anime fans, so we would most certainly not want to red flag ourselves by conducting illegal activities. It isn't as though we are asking for money or any sort of profit from the contestants. Just proof that they are citizens of the country this is being held for.

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions, we value what you have to say in regards to this contest.

Last edited by KurosakiHisoka : 07-19-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Unread 07-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
shdwstrm
SAKURA Member #1

The question with the scanned ID is that your full name, address, and other personal information (health card number, Drivers Licence number.) for any of us that is old enough to own a credit card, that information can be used in identity theft. I'm not saying that you would do it, but there are scummy people in the world that hack, and go through people's trash looking for that kind of information. Can I make a suggestion though??? How about anyone that does scan thier ID, blacken out in a paint program their Healthcard number, DL number, their actual street address and postal code. You'll still get the basic information you'll need for citizenship proof (the scan with the name, and city of the person entering.)

I'm happy to see that you are taking everyone's questions and concern to heart.
shdwstrm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
KurosakiHisoka
Canadian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwstrm
The question with the scanned ID is that your full name, address, and other personal information (health card number, Drivers Licence number.) for any of us that is old enough to own a credit card, that information can be used in identity theft. I'm not saying that you would do it, but there are scummy people in the world that hack, and go through people's trash looking for that kind of information. Can I make a suggestion though??? How about anyone that does scan thier ID, blacken out in a paint program their Healthcard number, DL number, their actual street address and postal code. You'll still get the basic information you'll need for citizenship proof (the scan with the name, and city of the person entering.)

I'm happy to see that you are taking everyone's questions and concern to heart.

We've updated it again. Currently, only the winners need proof of citizenship to claim their prizes. They can send in a photocopy of their ID as that way it can't be used illegally by anyone. We will only require their address in order to ship out the prizes.

This isn't directed at anyone specifially, but just out of curiousity, why is there prejudice against us for being cosplayers? Does that make us incapable of hosting a contest? If anything, we thought it would be better than a bunch of older people who know nothing about cosplay holding this contest. When you look at the kind of bias shown at the cosplay summit, I'm sure you would agree that the judging was unfair. Being fellow cosplayers gives us common ground with the contestants, which we thought would be a positive thing. We are truly sorry that this fact seems to be detrimental
Unread 07-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #12
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

IMHO I don't see that anyone is saying you can't hold a cosplay contest. It's just the fact that you are asking for ID (and proof of citizenship) just to participate. I don't know about you and but I am very careful when giving out personal information. My Driver's License number, passport number, or my social security number.

Unless you are a police officer, government official, customs agent or a loan officer I am not giving out that information to anyone.

I've seen department stores ask for a Social Security number when buying a pair of shoes. The patrons correctly refused and left.

You may not think it's a big deal, but identity thieft is a very real problem.

However, with the changes you've made in your forms, hopefully this will become a non-issue and the contest can continue without farther problems.

Again, IMHO, I really don't know why you need to require that all entrants need to have Canadian citizenship, but it's your contest and you write the rules.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #13
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwstrm
I find the idea of a nationwide cosplay contest very interesting, but I really like shdwstrm's suggestion.

It hasn't appeared as a huge problem in Canada (comparitively), but since I've worked and lived in Philadelphia for the past 3 summers, I've learned that identity theft is a big issue here. I've been advised to carry as little ID on me as possible and when I first got my SSN (social security number) here, I was actually told to memorize my SSN and either hide the card well, or put it in a safe deposit box somewhere. At one point, I was even told that since I won't be using it too much if I plan to stay in Canada for the next several years, I should consider memorizing the number and shredding the card altogether, to make absolute sure that no one else will ever get their hands on my card.

Not that there's much likelihood, but even if I did win anything in the contest, I wouldn't want to send photocopies or scans of any piece of ID I have that's government issued unless the most important parts (ie. SIN #, Passport #, driver's license #) are blacked out completely as shdwstrm suggested.

Also, I'd like to add that it's hard to prove citizenship with most pieces of ID. Aside from student ID's (of which I have several from various schools not in Canada even though I've only attended U of Waterloo as a student), SIN# and Driver's licenses also don't provide proof of citizenship. Either can be obtained as long as you live in Canada.

I would think that the only things to prove indefinitely that you are indeed Canadian would be the same as accepted by Customs and Border Protection, which are (and I go by the lenient Canada/USA land border versions):
Driver's license + birth certificate
Driver's license + citizenship card
Passport

Not sure if anyone would/should be willing to supply any of those to people they don't know, so it would be rather hard on you to get proof of people's Canadian-ness. ^^;;

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 05:09 AM   #14
Jo_Canadian
Vashy-Boy

wondering something. if i was to use my blood donar card...which has my adress, age and bloodtype on it along with my student id, which has my photo, my name and school adress on it it would it be considered decent id. i cant see why it wouldnt you have my ag and proof of canadian citizenship...also my blood type....what more would you want then that...i cant give you my soul

Code Of A Scoudrel: Prenez Votre Vie, Prenez Votre Bourse, Aucune Matière, Prise Juste Cela Tout. *Take Your Life, Take Your Purse, No Matter, Just Take It All.
Jo_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:36 AM   #15
Squall1882

Just wondering how absolutely essential the picture of the back of the costume is... cause I have a lot of pics from previous cons, but I can't really say that anyone ever took a pic of the back of my costume.. My haircolour was different back then too so it's not like I can just put on the costume and retake some either... There is no way I'll have 4 new good costumes between now and October, and none of the other competitions I've entered ever asked for a back pic.. ahahahahha.. there was no way to prepare... can we still enter with two interesting shots (not necessarily one front and one back??)
Squall1882 is offline   Reply With Quote