Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 245 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 08-02-2005, 08:56 AM   #31
Ironekilz

I haven't tried to lose weight for cosplay (kind of too lazy), but I really would love to lose weight and tone up. I'll be getting my own place and relying upon my own cooking skills instead of my mom's, so I'll be sure to buy less tempting foods (I have no willpower!). I'll also be within walking distance of public transportation and several shopping centers, so I'll be walking more and driving less.

I will agree that starvation diets are terrible. When I was in England for a study abroad program I walked everyday for 3 months and barely ate because the grocery store was so far away. I would have cereal for breakfast, if I was going to my tutorials I would get something from KFC or McDonald's and then have dinner later, always something easy like pizza or spaghetti. I didn't eat often, so I was always really hungry, and what I did eat wasn't very good for me. I did end up losing weight, but I was always tired and I got sick a lot.

My older sister has had success with the "raw" diet. She mainly eats unprocessed fruits, vegetables and nuts, though if she's really craving something she'll let herself have it once in awhile. She says she has a lot more energy and she sleeps better at night. Plus, she's losing weight, which has always been hard for her to do.

Unread 08-02-2005, 08:56 AM   #32
Vicky
Now with more bwag

I want to tone my body, but not because of cosplay.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #33
Dewprincess
Token RPG Princess Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar
not just for cosplay, but i'd love to just go thinner and thinner. honestly, i could probably be one of those anerexic bone sticking out of body people and still be like... eep... im fat. i dont know. it'd be nice to be able to work down to a 1 or 0 pant size, but i doubt i can do that. damn you self conciousness.
Be very careful about that and make sure that your goals are within reason. When I was a size 0, I actually WAS anorexic and that's not good! (It's also not good that one of my size 0s was a great pair of pants and now I can't wear it again....grr) Find out what is a good, reasonable size for your build and at what weight you feel your healthiest!
Aeris (FFVII) 100%; Aerith (KH) 100%; Princess Peach Toadstool (Super Mario Bros.) 95%; Tohru Honda (Fruits Basket) 20%; Yukino Miyazawa (Kare Kano) 30%; Zidane Tribal (FFIX) 35%; Princess Garnet (FFIX) still in planning stage
Dewprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #34
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewprincess
Be very careful about that and make sure that your goals are within reason. When I was a size 0, I actually WAS anorexic and that's not good! (It's also not good that one of my size 0s was a great pair of pants and now I can't wear it again....grr) Find out what is a good, reasonable size for your build and at what weight you feel your healthiest!
I agree with you 100% I disn't start this thread to promote crash dieting; that wasn't my intention at all. I lost the weight by completely changing my eating habits and I did it slowly (lost 75 lb in four years). So, if anyone is plannin on losing weight (for what ever reason) PLEASE do it safely.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #35
Parasaurolophus
65 Million Years Old

<sigh> this type of thread comes up about every 3 months, and it usually gets shut down once suggestions for "starvation diets" or "cabbage soup diets" start popping up. The following list isn't even all the results from the 1st page of searching.
Weight loss/maintaining is possible, but its not as easy as the "5 min workout a day!" or "pop a pill, lose 10 lbs!" You need some level of discipline, and ideally, a combination of performance eating, progressive weight resistance, and cardio training. Notice how there's no "diet" in the above sentence. By thinking of your body as a machine, it is possible to safely lose weight for the long term. For anyone who is truely serious, see my links below. This should also be discussed w/ your doctor, etc etc.

Yes, being happy with your body is important for self confidence, and as cosplay is a visual medium, appearance can be an important factor. I know everyone wants to add their $0.02, but if you truely have new information, you could revive an older thread.

Changing yourself for cosplay
Dietary Thread
Weight and Dieting
Get fit for cosplay
Overweight Cosplayers
"The Great Cosplay Diet/Workout" (of course, not endorsed by cosplay.com)
Weight issues and Rikku costume
Losing weight for cosplay
So you know, I'm not just being pissy for the sake of it. I'm just pointing out this isn't a new thread....
Katsucon 2008

Trying to lose weight? Read:
Krista's Weightlifting for Women -Great advice for everybody, not just women.
Also, see Marty Gallagher's Fitness for Serious Beginners Good Luck and Have fun!!
Parasaurolophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #36
Vicky
Now with more bwag

Personally I'm getting sick of seeing these topics.
Search engine people, it's always better to post in an existing topic than make a new one!
Unread 08-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #37
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I wasn't even talking about dieting,(someone else brought it up) and secondly I just said not to diet in the post before yours (did you even read this thread before putting in your two cent) I feel VERY annoyed to be lectured about something (that if you read my first post) would know Ive already quite aware of.

This thread is not about dieting or how to get skinning its not even really about people who have ALREADY done so; my intention was to ask if anyone felt cosplay was a motivation for their personal weight loss. Id like to point out I NEVER used the word diet either.

now, before I get flames for my over-reaction (I'm pissy at work..sue me)

Last edited by mokulen22 : 08-02-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Unread 08-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #38
Vicky
Now with more bwag

Relax.

You stated in your original post:
I was wondering if anyone here found cosplay a motivation for weight loss?
If you had done a search you'd have found TONS of examples.

here are some similar forums, which I just realized were already posted:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=63629
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=5628
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=59240
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=32551
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=46014

second of all, offending people is never a good way to get your point across. If anything you're just going to piss off more people, people who don't really care. Some people may have misunderstood your question, but welcome to the world of "generalities". Anytime you mention COSPLAY and WEIGHT LOSS you're going to hear about people's diets.
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #39
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Yeah, I got some food in my system, so now I'm no longer in a pissy mood, sorries (too all readin' this)..I suppose I felt I was the one being adressed personally, seeing as I started the thread--I now see that was not the intentions of the two last posters (one PMed me and was VERY nice ),

In my defence I didn't say anything about dieting, so I was like "wtf?" and it got me alittle peeved off. I still stand by and say my post IS different than others (which I have read before) 'cause I didn't ask how you to lose weight (already did that), it was about motivation, but I wasn't clear enough, I understand that. So, I changed the first post.

I hope we can move on from this before my thread is closed :P

Ja ne
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #40
Vicky
Now with more bwag

I can understand that, thank you very much for addressing it like a mature individual (it's rare, believe me)
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but just trying to help.
Unread 08-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #41
Evolution

I don't let this little hobby of mine dictate any factors of my life that are as important as what I eat...I'm in wrestling and I'm also hypoglycemic, so I kinda HAVE to watch what I eat daily...as to cosplay and weight...it's simple:

I only see many of the people I meet at cons a few times a year...and I'm not exactly going these cons to please or show off to anyone...If there's a costume I may not exactly fit the body type for, but I want to do anyway, then I do it anyway.
Unread 08-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #42
DarknessSummit
Like a Rock Star

well we all tone up our bodies from many reasons, attractiveness....to be healthy....and for cosplay....although this may not be the same for everyone, its about the same
Animeboston?
OTAKON

Upcoming costumes:
cursed seal 2 sakon
laguna loire?
amano itachi?
DarknessSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #43
Firu
Nintendo Fanboy

Heck, if anything I need to gain weight, I'm skinny but tall.
Unread 08-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #44
MadCadaver
Model, designer, artist.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution
I don't let this little hobby of mine dictate any factors of my life that are as important as what I eat...I'm in wrestling and I'm also hypoglycemic, so I kinda HAVE to watch what I eat daily...as to cosplay and weight...
I also wrestle, neat-o.

And if you all didn't know, weight is wrestling. If you do not meet the weight you are wrestling at, you do not wrestle. Making weight is a huge deal, obviously. I'm about 5'9" and I weight 123 pounds. Probably less, now, since I just started again. I know that this is less than I'm supposed to be... The summer before my freshman year, I had just hit 100 pounds. (I'm a senior now.) Last season I cut weight - I was 116, maybe an inch shorter. And, slowly, I tried to cut down to 114, so I could qualify for the 112 weight class - didn't make it. I stopped eating lunch, and I don't eat breakfast anyway. These previous posts are good advice, so listen to them. If cosplay is motivating you to lose weight, for God's sake, don't fucking starve yourself.

I'm now more motivated to gain weight.
Unread 08-02-2005, 07:35 PM   #45
halfdemongurl

i dont really need motivation to be skinny... i'd just like some motivation to work out >.<
Black Rock - Black Rock Shooter
Barnaby Brooks Jr - Tiger & Bunny
Joey Wheeler - Yugioh
CosplayNyan
halfdemongurl is offline   Reply With Quote