Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 259 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 08-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #61
Flicker

Cosplay is not my main incentive for getting FIT, that would actually be my archaeology classes. I'd like to be able to go out during a field program and not be out of breath. Pretty much endurance is the idea, along with getting at least a little less flabby.

I know I'm a curvy girl and I'll always be one, so cosplay's incentive for weight loss is just minor. For the work I plan on doing, those pounds I have in weight will turn into pounds of muscle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's only minor because I can't see myself going down a dress size and looking like a perfect Tifa. It's an incentive in that I see myself in a photo and go 'oh my goodness I look so...' and then I desire to have a little less tummy and a little more buns of steel. ^.^

So year, a little more 'adverage girl'/health reasons and a little less cosplay reasoning if that makes any sense.
Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #62
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.

Haha I'd have to admit that cosplay is the #1 reason why I want to lose these...40 lbs.. =_=;

The 2nd main reason is because every single guy that has EVER hinted that I was "FAT" can kiss my yellow a55 and if they ever start talking to me again only because of improved physical appearance, I'd like to stomp on their shallow faces and tell them they're too ugly(inside of course) :O An example of what my "friend" said to me "jokingly" was, "Oh! I thought Asian girls were supposed to be skinny!" But then he got yelled at by my other friend that he had a crush on so it's all good 8D

Those guys that said those things to me and lowered my confidence down to negative 100.....they will get their butts kicked eventually...

But yes, I also want to become much more confident within myself and cosplay better as well :3
xinababo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #63
Akana

I myself am 5'7" and over 200 pounds. I'm trying to loose a bunch of weight for november for a convention so I've assigned my wrestler boyfriend to show me the tricks of loosing inches in a short period of time. I have my fingers crossed and i hope it works out!
Akana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #64
CelestialAurora
Midgar Flower Girl

i don't really care about losing weight. i've never really had a problem with that. sometimes i do look at myself in the mirror and think that i have fat here or i have fat there. but i don't dwell on it too much. ^^ but i do try to eat a bit more healthy as a con approaches. i don't want to not be able to fit in my cosplay costume. but then i don't stop eating and go on a diet because then the costume would be too loose on me.
CelestialAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 11:04 PM   #65
Beware_UY7
Reckless Youth

I always end up gaining weight at the beginning of summer due to inactivity, so I'm in my worst shape of the year when I go to summer conventions. This summer, I was like ten pounds over my normal weight when I went to AX and it made me feel incredibly self-concsious.
I've dropped that weight, so I'm 5'8"/145lbs. I'd like to stay active, so I can tone up, though. Maybe some day I'll cosplay a sexy character [I always end up crossplaying, just because of my height]. Means I have to stop avoiding the gym. I'm trying.
Unread 08-08-2005, 01:50 AM   #66
cold kittn
Your own personal stalker

My first time cosplaying was Fujiko Mine from Lupin the Third this year at Anime Next...I lost a few pounds for this because of the dress the I decided to make. I went from 210 or 215 to 190..I'm pretty happy about it....now that I'm cosplaying Chun Li in October I have to start weight training and toning my legs. You can't be Chun Li without awesome legs right?
cold kittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:25 AM   #67
Tenchan
Puppy

I gained weight over the last years, and it upset me a bit, but I never really felt like doing something about it ... until I started on a costume for me and had to find out I had sawn it two sizes too small. I was so extremely crushed and shocked, because never before had I really been aware of my weight. I refuse to sew this costume again in something that feels oversized to me, so, losing weight it is. Guess you could call that motivation.
Tenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #68
Beware_UY7
Reckless Youth

cold kittn- Wow! That's great that you were able to get leaner for a cosplay! Good luck on that getting lean!

Tenchan- Well, when most people decide to diet/exercise, they have a pair of tight jeans they want to fit in. When a cosplayer diets/exercises, its to fit into a costume! And when you can retire old costumes because they're too big on you, its not a bad thing! (And if you really love them, you can just refit them to your new size.)
Unread 08-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #69
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewprincess
Medication....was it thyroid related, perchance? I was on that for a while and I have an appointment Tuesday to check my levels again, I'm almost positive I have to go back on it. It's a legit excuse for having higher weight than desired but I hope this helps to control it!
No not thyroid related. But still I want to loose the 2 inches I gained around my waist line.

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Deviant ArtTwitterLivejournalMyspaceTumblr

Last edited by livvylove : 08-08-2005 at 09:59 PM.
livvylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #70
duckyblues
Going to eat you.

Im....Comfortable with my weight [usually around 110] but I have a heredity thing that when I do gain weight it goes STRAIGHT to my belly and arms. So for two [Or one XD] weeks before a convention I go on a fruits, veggies and 15 minutes of excersize diet.

Yeterday I bid Adieu to my belove chocolate parfait in an all out pigfest since Otakon is next week =DD

Pending: Tin Nyanko
duckyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 12:23 AM   #71
RPGoddess
Wanting to cosplay Eva

I've always had the need to lose... not pounds, but body fat. I never had much motivation, seeing as I felt fine in everything I wore. But when playing a character, I just think it matters a bit more than everyday life to look nice in your outfit. I don't think that's motivating me enough yet, because at 5'7" and 130lbs, I don't feel like I need to lose anything, I still look good in costumes.
I can always work around cosplaying slim, form-fitting, skin-showing costumes until I get more experienced and actually want to try something exciting like that. THEN I'll lose the fat, which isn't much. I'd exercise to be fit rather than slim, anyway. Looking good is one thing, but being able to jump around and fake-fight and just have fun in your warrioress costume is another, more important thing in my mind.

"For Those With Wings, Fly To Your Dreams."~ Megami Kouhosei (Candidate for Goddess)

Kenya Tiger
I'm angry right now. *poom poom*
RPGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #72
SA1K0R0

As a personal trainer in progress, the best advice is to give it time and just do the right thing. Think about it.... if you want to lose weight and dont follow the proper procedures, you will find yourself distraught and even farther behind. Ive been training myself for about 5 years now, and everything I know is self taught through hard work. If it took you 3 years to expand your waistline, then do not expect the weight to come off quickly. And the quicker you lose it, the quicker it will come back to haunt you.

A few tips:

1 - Slowly omit junk foods. Although you love those pies (Or whatever they were, stophers??), you have to make some sacrifice to make ends meet. It took me about 6 months to finally adjust to a healthy diet. I cut things out SLOWLY. Soda was first, then sugary foods, etc. I now have no more than 75 grams of sugar a day!!

2 - Define your puropse: Long term, or short term?? For personal reasons, or to impress someone (You can see how all of what Im saying ties into Con's and costumes)?? The sooner you define a purpose, the clearer your goal will be and work will become more apparent to you.

3 - Keep yuor goals realistic: losing 20 pounds in three weeks isnt a realistic goal, unless if your carrying around a ton of water weight.... or the fact that you forgot about that backpack!! LOL Seriously though, your outcome should be within reason, or you will find yourself failing constantly. And thats what your trying to avoid.

And finally.... have fun!! Keep things exciting and fresh. Fitness is a lifestyle, not some hobby or something you do on the weekends for the hell of it.

But thats just me....

Good luck with whatever you may persue,

-Damien A.K.A. SA1K0R0
SA1K0R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #73
RPGoddess
Wanting to cosplay Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1K0R0
A few tips:

1 - Slowly omit junk foods.

2 - Define your puropse: Long term, or short term??

3 - Keep your goals realistic.
That's some good advice.
1) I think that aside from my once-a-month snacking of junkfood, I only consume a lot of pop (or "soda" or whatever you prefer to call it) year round.
2) Although I would want to impress, being healthy is far more important, and I'd want to keep up a healthy weight, diet and look for life.
3) No worries there, I won't be losing barely any weight, and just body fat.
Hmm... I think I'll jog home ^^

I remember hearing on the radio about how little changes make a big difference. Like getting up to change the channel on the TV, mowing the lawn with a push-mower, walking instead of driving, etc. Those kinds of changes really help, too.

"For Those With Wings, Fly To Your Dreams."~ Megami Kouhosei (Candidate for Goddess)

Kenya Tiger
I'm angry right now. *poom poom*

Last edited by RPGoddess : 08-10-2005 at 10:58 PM.
RPGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #74
nekhochan

Most definatly! I cosplayed at Misty from Pokemon at AI of 2003 and I was around 160lbs. The shorts dug into my stomach, and having that costume be all bare arms and centered around the middle of the body, I felt so gross. I was never comfortable in that body, and when I saw the photos I was mortified. I did Selphie and Rei Ayanami that year as well...heres some pic links:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=240331
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=240318
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=240327

Next year, I was a bit better. I'd lost maybe 7 lbs. and made a new Selphie dress.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=252851

And then I moved out of MO, got happy and active and such...and started pilates to prepare for the ultimate naked costume- Sailor Star Healer!!!
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=295006

And I just kept feeling more and more brave, so I did this:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=408938

And I even managed to snag a cute boy that night dressed as Han Solo and make him mine. ^_^

So yes, costuming is a huge motivation for me. I know that I have a 2 week pre-con routine that I get into where I cut out all salt and pop and crap food and drink insane amounts of water. The only disadvantage to that is that this year my costumes were a bit too loose because I actually finished them before I did my 2 week cleanse! My wonder woman armor had a gap I could put my hand inbetween my body and the armor!
nekhochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #75
kels
Jelly Cosplay

o___o..
nehkochan: holy.. i dont have the motivation at all

or actually..like of course i want to lose weight.. alot actually.. but its worse when people nag about how i have to ose weight over and over again.. that just makes me frustrated, and makes me not wan tot exercise even more.. the thing is.. of course i would like do to a "sexier cosplay".. but the thing is.. with my body.. ill spare others their vision and pass on that.. -____-.. my main problem is probably lack of exercise and motivation tho.. but for me its so hard to get motivated because i start thiking like.. "oh why should i bother.. it wont do anything..".. and then i would just give up.. BLAH!!!

someone motivate me!!

kels is offline   Reply With Quote