Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 05-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #10261
Misc.Cosplay
All my favs are dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDPepper View Post
@misc.cosplay Err in this case you may want to check with a doctor or nutritionist if you can. Did you used to eat really unhealthy like, lots of sugary foods? Its possible you may have damaged your insulin receptors on your cells and now your having trouble controlling blood sugar because you can't really absorb sugars into your cells as easily anymore, which is basically type II diabetes or Adult Onset Diabetes. But really, in this case, doctor or nutritionist may be a better option then a forum physician.
I've never liked sweets, so I don't think that is it. I've always been a meat eater or potatos..
Diabetes does however run in my family strong, my father has it, but my blood test come back negative for it. and I check my suagr when I start feeling that way and its always normal. I agree thoroughly though, I do need to get a good checkup and figure this out, but I figured I might as well ask here in the meantime. Thank you~

Unread 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #10262
Chirudesu
Flash Goddess Chiru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misc.Cosplay View Post
Ah.. Found a weight thread, Great. Okay. I've never been above 100 pounds in my life, and I'm only 19. I've never really had to work out, but when I felt I did a simple diet of dairy and a run fixed everything, But for some odd reason my entire body changed after Otakon last July-August. I've started gaining weight like I never have before and this time it won't go away, I'm also getting pimples [I've always had very fair skin as well.] I try to run and excersize, but then I become very dizzy, off center and my body seems to shut down to were I can't really walk without my knees giving. Its kinda annoying because I want to go go go but my body wont GO. It's even more frustrating that my entire family is overweight and we have NO healthy food. AT. ALL. It's sickening. I cant fuel myself properly, so I can't move properly, and when I DO finally get to move, I end up ruining everything by having to eat junk because thats litterally all there is. What can I eat in a house full of crap that will give me energy so I can stop blacking out/nearly blacking out after the slightest of jogs? I was 105 last summer and felt great. What can I do, I am so frustrated and my cons coming up fast and nothing I do/CAN do is helping anymore!
Oh goodness gracious, your family sounds like mine.
Unfortunately, I'm like the opposite of you. I've been overweight my entire life (I can't ever remember being reasonable size after age 6 years old.) and now certain things are making my weight loss near impossible. My family also eats very very unhealthy, the most healthy thing in my house are tomatoes (which have a set purpose for burritos. How ironic.) And when I talk to my parents about trying to buy healthy food, they say things like 'you just need to eat less' and 'I'll buy a bag of salad' like salad is gonna change my life. *eyeroll* so I also have trouble eating healthy at home. Good luck trying to eat better, I know it's hard when your parents don't support you (If you can eat better, that might clear up your acne too.)
As for exercise, how are you starting out? Are you trying to run 5 miles a day? Start slow!! Go walking at about 4mph for 20 minutes and see how you feel. Don't try to load all this exercise on at once or you'll either backfire or just get weak. Even bodybuilders had to start somewhere. Just because you aren't super obese doesn't mean you're able to take heavy exercise. If it's not part of your normal life, then it'll be a challenge, so take it easy! Also, you can try alternatives like pilates or biking instead of running. Something that takes less movement but is effective.

Good luck!!! D:

私の世界 夢と恋と不安で出来てる。。。
Chirudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #10263
Blooming Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misc.Cosplay View Post
Ah.. Found a weight thread, Great. Okay. I've never been above 100 pounds in my life, and I'm only 19. I've never really had to work out, but when I felt I did a simple diet of dairy and a run fixed everything, But for some odd reason my entire body changed after Otakon last July-August. I've started gaining weight like I never have before and this time it won't go away, I'm also getting pimples [I've always had very fair skin as well.] I try to run and excersize, but then I become very dizzy, off center and my body seems to shut down to were I can't really walk without my knees giving. Its kinda annoying because I want to go go go but my body wont GO. It's even more frustrating that my entire family is overweight and we have NO healthy food. AT. ALL. It's sickening. I cant fuel myself properly, so I can't move properly, and when I DO finally get to move, I end up ruining everything by having to eat junk because thats litterally all there is. What can I eat in a house full of crap that will give me energy so I can stop blacking out/nearly blacking out after the slightest of jogs? I was 105 last summer and felt great. What can I do, I am so frustrated and my cons coming up fast and nothing I do/CAN do is helping anymore!
You may have to go a little out of your way to make some better changes in your life. From my own experience with a similar environment, I made it a mission to get healthy food into my diet. You have to do it by any means necessary sometimes. Try asking to go shopping with your family, so that you'll get the opportunity to add foods that you know will help you with your diet. If you have a job yourself, take a part of your check if you can to dedicate to buying more nutritious food. Again, definitely try and up your fiber by buying whole grains as well as buying veggies. Try to limit the amount of processed food you buy/eat (again, if the listed ingredients sound like things you'd find in a chemistry lab...it probably doesn't belong in your stomach). And this is a really good tip that helped win my family over, and now they buy and eat healthier foods. I planned and prepared a healthy meal for them as frequently as possible (if cooking isn't your thing, help the main cook of the house prepare a healthy meal). There are tons of inspiring recipes online and in health magazines (self and women/men health magazine). If you can just prove that healthy, freshly made food is just as delicious or even better than the processed unhealthy food they munch on they will be more likely to start buying the better food

You said you were a meat and potatoes kind of person. Just make sure that if you do enjoy those, that you enjoy them in their proper serving size or else you will be consuming more calories than you were anticipating. But I'm sure you're wondering, what do I fill the rest of your plate with? You guessed it, more veggies. There is such a great variety out there, and they will fill you with a ton of nutrients that I'm sure your body is craving.

Your skin could be breaking out because of the processed food and sugar. I used to have the worst acne ever. It just wouldn't go away. I started eating fresh food, limiting meat/dairy, and cutting a lot of sugar out...my skin started looking amazing. Now my skin is glowing. It's incredible what a change in diet can do for you. It makes you feel clean and amazing.

As for working out, do you stretch before going for a walk? If walking is putting that much stress on your limbs, maybe you can consider doing something less stressful like yoga or swimming. Depending on the kind, you can definitely burn calories and tone up your body at the same time. Swimming is an excellent way to burn calories, and you don't hurt your limbs as much as running/walking would since it's low impact.

Hopefully one of those tips will help you out.
Blooming Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #10264
Ichibon-Bunny
Kawai-Bunny-chan

WoW O_O
Ichibon-Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #10265
distantarray

For meat and potato people, try cooking with healthier cuts of meats, and eating sweet potatoes / yams instead. Changing up a few simple things helps a lot in the long run.

With healthier cuts of steak, take sea salt and completely cover the meat for about 15-30minutes prior to cooking, then rinse off, then cook. this equalizes moisture inside and outside of the meat. Leaner cuts are also a little tougher, so few hours prior to cooking you can soak it in beer or club soda to help tenderize it.

So beat on it with a tenderizing hammer, soak it in club soda for a few hours, then saturate it in sea or kosher salts, rinse off then cook. The meat will taste a lot better

---

Club Soda contains sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) which, among other things, can be used as a meat tenderizer. Club Soda also contains sodium citrate, which is a slightly tart form of salt, and would also aid in the tenderizing process. Respectively, these are the second and third ingredients on the label, right after carbonated water, so they are in relatively high concentration.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #10266
noirstar45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1nAI View Post
I have a similar "problem" like noirstar45. I've always been a wearer of baggy clothes. So last year when I bought shorts from good 'ole Hollister, I bought 34's (had a waist of 33 3/8). Now, since I did the cutting cycle my waist is down to 31 5/8 and that is a February measurment. So now those 34 waist shorts I bought last year aren't just loose, they practically fall off me. If I forget the handy belts that came with them, I am doing a lot of hiking up the britches *pulls up shorts*.

~Em1nAI
Oh I know I need to get a smaller belt. I keep on having to hike up my pants, but I can't fit into my size 10s yet. Almost there.

My father has high cholesterol, so his doctor recommended a no starch and sugar diet. He was a never huge eater of pastas (unlike me), so that was easy to cut out. He likes toast and P&J sandwiches, so he was a little bummed about the bread.
But in a month he's lost 6lbs.
He really misses baked potatoes, but the doctor said sweet potatoes weren't as bad, he just can't load up on them.
He's really loaded up on veggies and sticking with lean cuts of beef, chicken, and fish.
My mom has a melody of veggies (peppers, celery, onions) she makes one day and so he can just mix a little with his choice of protein and that's dinner.

My mom's melody idea is great tho. I'm going to start with that. Cut up my favorite veggies, so I can just pull the meat out and start cooking. Saves time during the busy work week.
noirstar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #10267
Touya no miko
TnM

I've been wondering about this.

How many of you guys lost weight DURING a con? With all that walking you must have shed some pounds.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #10268
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touya no miko View Post

How many of you guys lost weight DURING a con? With all that walking you must have shed some pounds.
During a con your probably more likely to gain weight, with bad foods like hamburger hotdogs pizzas and tons of sodas, pocky.... just saying.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #10269
Blooming Cosmo

Quote:

The last convention I went to I lost a pound. I was very careful of what I ate. I had oatmeal in the morning (thank you hot water from the coffee machine in the hotel), food bars, and veggie sandwiches with soup. I did my best to stay away from bad food. I don't know...it's weird...I just don't have the desire to eat any junk.

So with all the walking and little junk food intake...yeah definitely possible to shed a pound or two.
Blooming Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #10270
Kasinator
Not quite human

yeah weight gain is more likely unless you bring your own food. and even still the rate I work out, my body will wonder why Im not tired and wont know what to do with all the food.

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #10271
Legatosgurl
I am a BANANA!!!!

My biggest issue is the fact that I'm not only a college student, but I'm also an unemployed one at that. The problem here is that I can't really afford a large amount of fresh fruits and the like, but mostly rely on yogurt, quesadillas, and fruit snacks in order to survive the day. Not the healthiest, I know, but still enough to get by.

Just my two cents, though.

Final Fantasy - Physics not included.

Cosplay 2015:
Lady Loki
Rose Red
Legatosgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #10272
Sakurairis
Manic Maid

Quote:

I tend to lose weight at cons all the time. I don't eat as much because I'm at the con and everything is friggen EXPENSIVE and I walk most of the time till my legs almost fall off. Then there is spontaneous dancing. My best friend highly dissaproves the fact I rarely eat during cons. I mean i eat but only enough to sustain me and give me energy. I just get too tired to eat more than a salad at dinner and maybe some yogurt and fruit.
Sakurairis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #10273
a n g e l i n a

So, in light of all this talking about exercising - what is there to do about sore muscles?

Because I think I bit off more than I can chew n_n'

Two days ago I did the Ramp it up Exercise from the Slim n' 6 program, what made it worse I think is that I wore my shape-ups during it - they're actually not mine, they're my mother's which are slightly too big for her, but that means they fit me perfectly! Anyways, yesterday I hurt pretty badly, so I thought I would keep it light... but I still ended up doing about 75 minutes on the track of fast walking intermittent with jogging. Both yesterday and this morning I thought I might try some yoga to stretch out a bit, but now I feel like an old man that can hardly sit down or get up D: My butt and upper thighs hurt sooo baaad.

I was thinking about doing the bike or treadmill again today, but I'm kind of frustrated I can't keep going! What do you guys do with sore muscles?
a n g e l i n a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #10274
PhDPepper
\(ŐωŐ)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by a n g e l i n a View Post
So, in light of all this talking about exercising - what is there to do about sore muscles?

Two days ago I did the Ramp it up Exercise from the Slim n' 6 program, what made it worse I think is that I wore my shape-ups during it - they're actually not mine, they're my mother's which are slightly too big for her, but that means they fit me perfectly! Anyways, yesterday I hurt pretty badly, so I thought I would keep it light... but I still ended up doing about 75 minutes on the track of fast walking intermittent with jogging. Both yesterday and this morning I thought I might try some yoga to stretch out a bit, but now I feel like an old man that can hardly sit down or get up D: My butt and upper thighs hurt sooo baaad.

I was thinking about doing the bike or treadmill again today, but I'm kind of frustrated I can't keep going! What do you guys do with sore muscles?
I usually rotate the muscle groups that i work out so i can give some muscles a break. But i usually don't keep my muscles anaerobic for long so i don't usually get huge amounts of acid buildup to make my muscles sore. Usually stop at aerobic because that is where tons of energy is being created and burnt.

If you want too, you can probably try dribbling and throwing around a basketball or something, try and get the arms moving this time around.

Last edited by PhDPepper : 05-26-2010 at 04:57 PM.
PhDPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #10275
andy_lee08
andy_lee08

Quote:
Originally Posted by a n g e l i n a View Post

Well party of it is that your muscles are stagnant from sitting still. If you do some light walking throughout the day it should help. But a general rule of thumb is never train a sore muscle, so if your butt and thighs hurt, take a day to train upper body, or ever just one part of upper body. I've heard that epsom salt baths can help, but I usually just stick it out.
andy_lee08 is offline   Reply With Quote