Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #11701
pb&jellyfish
I am an assassi- crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDepot View Post
Some gyms have "arm bikes" which are basically stationary bikes with the pedals up high so that you move them with your hands instead. You should be able to do this without involving your legs. Even if you are using your arms to do cardio your body will take fat from all parts of your body.
Yeah, I know -- mentioned it in my OP. ^^; The problem is that the arm bike is so. goddamn. intensely. boring. I can't really get into exercise if it's not at least somewhat engaging. I mean, even on a treadmill or something I would be able to read. With an armbike, I can't even do that because my hands are occupied. And to add insult to injury, they have the stupid thing facing a blank wall, so television isn't an option, either.

It's something I'm already doing, but probably won't be able to keep doing for long because of the complete lack of distraction from the drudgery of it. I mean, I'd have to sit there doing it for two solid hours every day, at least, to get any sort of benefit from it, and two hours of sitting and staring at a blank wall feels like twenty.

Guess I'll just have to keep doing more and more weights to compensate for it. :\
pb&jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #11702
kittylovesprog

I feel like this thread is slightly misleading. I know a girl my height who is technically lighter than I am by almost 15 lbs. However comparatively I look a lot tinier based on the fact that I have more muscle mass. I know it's been mentioned before but weight is not the be all end all of looking good. Alongside a scale it's important to also measure yourself with measuring tape. If you start gaining weight when you work out and eat right don't freak out. It's likely that you're building muscle mass. Just a heads up for everybody. Also, if you can't afford a scale, measuring tape is a good alternative.

Planned cosplays: The Prise: 20% completion
kittylovesprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #11703
KamenRiderAgito
ハチコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylovesprog View Post
If you start gaining weight when you work out and eat right don't freak out. It's likely that you're building muscle mass.
I've been relying solely on measuring tape for this exact reason. I've dropped another pant size since my ankle healed, mostly thanks to loads of cardio, but the scale did not reflect it. Wonder of all wonders, the measuring tape did. I was upset and a bit confused for like, a day, until I realized that I've been putting on muscle.

I'll be weighing in again next week though, after I see my doctor for mini checkup.
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #11704
x0xLindseyLovex
Panda cookie queen : 3

ill def have to write measuring tape on my list for friday
i also plan on gettin me some spinach...and a jumprope XD
Saturdayot season 3
Sunday: ??? (depends on how done my skin is with the paint)
x0xLindseyLovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #11705
HomeDepot

Oh gosh! sorry. My eyes saw you write "crutch around the track" and I just jumped past the sentence where you mentioned it.
HomeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #11706
ieixxx
isnt a weirdo...?

120 and 5'6 is a good weight! I wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish I was that!
Unread 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #11707
Em1nAI
Ectomorphic Introvert

So...I'm switching gyms. I've gone to Anytime Fitness for practically 5 years. But the one I frequent recently changed owners/managers. This guy seems to think that making noise (ie a random grunt/groan) here and there is uncalled for. Monday I had by far the best flat bench day ever. I set three personal records, 1 major (I benched the most weight I've ever attempted), and two other smaller ones. I am on a mission to increase my bench this year! On my last set I was trying to see how many reps I could get at 155...on the last rep I thought I wouldn't get past the "sticking point" to have it actually count as a rep, so with a loud grunt I push and power through the sticking point. I'm instantly excited as I had just set a smaller personal record. Immediately the manager...who was working out...is at my side. Says I need to be quieter or something and that me having made that grunt/groan was uneccessary. I tell him, "Well I just set a PR and I think it was." He then just repeats himself about being too loud. Him saying this to me practically ruined the high I had from setting my PR's. That is my issue and the reason I am cancelling my membership. I understand how if I was grunting and groaning on every rep, every set, how that would be uneccessary and bothersome to other members, but...I wasn't doing that, I grunt loud once, to get through the hardest rep of the last set. Which is not out of line. It is a "gym" or so I thought afterall, not a library. I will never get as good of progress on getting stronger if I have to stop short of pushing past the point where I may have to groan a bit to power through the rep, so I'm going to a gym that will support me, not hamper me. /rant and on to a better and frankly bigger gym!

~Em1nAI

I'm a certified personal fitness trainer as well as a certifiable health nut.

Costume(s):
Toshiro Hitsugaya...100% done
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/248204/
Snake-Eyes...100% done
"Hammer pants have NOTHING on my hakama pants!"
Em1nAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #11708
halfdemongurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
Your boyfriend is 6'6" and 145lbs?!?!? That's basically anorexic. He must be a twig. This is not a healthy weight for someone his height. That would be on the skinny side for someone a FOOT shorter than him. He could probably put on about 30-40 pounds with barely a hint of fat no problem.

As far as for yourself, the numbers sound reasonable, and I bet if you made an effort to exercise, you could make some considerable "toning" improvements without any significant weight change. Stick with the exercising, and make sure to do squats, both you and your boyfriend should love the results.

Thanks for your concern. He eats all the time, in fact he's the one that makes me eat. He's always cooking. lol He's weighed 145 since he was a senior in high school (he's 27 now) and his doctor has been on his case for years about gaining weight. He just can't. He eats whatever he wants, whenever, and never gains an ounce (see where I start feeling self-conscious, lol) His weight is a sensitive subject, trust me if he could bulk up and have a small belly he'd be a happy camper.

Thanks, I'll look into doing squats.
Black Rock - Black Rock Shooter
Barnaby Brooks Jr - Tiger & Bunny
Joey Wheeler - Yugioh
CosplayNyan

Last edited by halfdemongurl : 01-13-2011 at 03:46 PM.
halfdemongurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #11709
kittylovesprog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenRiderAgito View Post
I've been relying solely on measuring tape for this exact reason. I've dropped another pant size since my ankle healed, mostly thanks to loads of cardio, but the scale did not reflect it. Wonder of all wonders, the measuring tape did. I was upset and a bit confused for like, a day, until I realized that I've been putting on muscle.

I'll be weighing in again next week though, after I see my doctor for mini checkup.
Yeah, it sounds like you're on the right track. I like to use both the scale and the tape too

Planned cosplays: The Prise: 20% completion
kittylovesprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #11710
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfdemongurl View Post
Thanks for your concern. He eats all the time, in fact he's the one that makes me eat. He's always cooking. lol He's weighed 145 since he was a senior in high school (he's 27 now) and his doctor has been on his case for years about gaining weight. He just can't. He eats whatever he wants, whenever, and never gains an ounce (see where I start feeling self-conscious, lol) His weight is a sensitive subject, trust me if he could bulk up and have a small belly he'd be a happy camper.

Thanks, I'll look into doing squats.
Has the doctor ever tested him for any thyroid issues? A blood test might help allocate an issue pretty quick. Or he can just force-feed himself. Some people think 2000 or 3000 calories is a lot, and it can be, but sometimes you need 4500-5000+ calories, EVERY single day, to gain weight. distantarray has mentioned a friend that had to stay over 6 or 7000 to start putting on weight. Though this gets expensive, and if you're healthy and happy doesn't really matter.

Em1nAI - Grats on the PR!!!! Don't let the man get you down, lol. Sounds like your gym is turning into a Planet Fitness *shudder.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 04:01 AM   #11711
Orichan

*sigh* I feel like the opposite has happened with me, I was about 12 and pretty thin when I first started cosplaying and I used to feel super cute, but since then I feel like that original cute feeling made me want to wear more revealing/ "hard to pull off" stuff. But I am so not there yet and it depresses me.... I need to start running lol
Orichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #11712
Churabu

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice workout without being in the gym? I don't own a car so it's difficult for me go to a local gym and say, work out on the treadmill there or lift some weights. T__T
I bought an exercise ball recently because I heard it's great for ab crunches and situps that won't hurt your back. I looked up some exercises but I really want a full-body workout. I started lifting weights.
I'm trying belly dancing...looked up some videos and started it, and it's really helped me out a lot. But I absolutely loathe running. Is there an alternative to this? Can I get the same workout doing some other activity?
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #11713
KamenRiderAgito
ハチコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churabu View Post
I absolutely loathe running. Is there an alternative to this? Can I get the same workout doing some other activity?
I hate running too. You can get around it, but you'll still need to do cardio. You might want to try a workout dvd, like tae bo or something. I just started using a few Jillian Michaels dvds, and they beat the treadmill.

Running is soooooo boooring.
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #11714
halfdemongurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
Has the doctor ever tested him for any thyroid issues? A blood test might help allocate an issue pretty quick. Or he can just force-feed himself. Some people think 2000 or 3000 calories is a lot, and it can be, but sometimes you need 4500-5000+ calories, EVERY single day, to gain weight. distantarray has mentioned a friend that had to stay over 6 or 7000 to start putting on weight. Though this gets expensive, and if you're healthy and happy doesn't really matter.

Em1nAI - Grats on the PR!!!! Don't let the man get you down, lol. Sounds like your gym is turning into a Planet Fitness *shudder.
I'm not entirely sure... His doctor is totally lame and he refuses to go to another one because "it's too much effort"... even when I schedule appointments for him >>; Wait... now that I think about it I believe he mentioned blood work sometime in the past... but I'm not entirely sure if that was for his weight or what... But yeah. I've been trying to get him to go for a long time, I mean when he got super sick and he was throwing up he still would find the strength to argue with me about going to the doctor... >< He's a stubborn man! xD
Black Rock - Black Rock Shooter
Barnaby Brooks Jr - Tiger & Bunny
Joey Wheeler - Yugioh
CosplayNyan
halfdemongurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #11715
x0xLindseyLovex
Panda cookie queen : 3

argh XD totally fell off the band wagon last night/today with a well known phenomena known as the 'im legal and at uni, so lets get drunk and or stupid' and i did all of the aforementioned activities, now today was a hangover filled mess full of simple carbs, and grease to cure this wicked hangover. So tomorrow tis back to the gym for me!

And to the gym I shall wander, for the fields of ellipicals are far too tempting for mine wandering eye.
Saturdayot season 3
Sunday: ??? (depends on how done my skin is with the paint)
x0xLindseyLovex is offline   Reply With Quote