Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #11701
Em1nAI
Ectomorphic Introvert

So...I'm switching gyms. I've gone to Anytime Fitness for practically 5 years. But the one I frequent recently changed owners/managers. This guy seems to think that making noise (ie a random grunt/groan) here and there is uncalled for. Monday I had by far the best flat bench day ever. I set three personal records, 1 major (I benched the most weight I've ever attempted), and two other smaller ones. I am on a mission to increase my bench this year! On my last set I was trying to see how many reps I could get at 155...on the last rep I thought I wouldn't get past the "sticking point" to have it actually count as a rep, so with a loud grunt I push and power through the sticking point. I'm instantly excited as I had just set a smaller personal record. Immediately the manager...who was working out...is at my side. Says I need to be quieter or something and that me having made that grunt/groan was uneccessary. I tell him, "Well I just set a PR and I think it was." He then just repeats himself about being too loud. Him saying this to me practically ruined the high I had from setting my PR's. That is my issue and the reason I am cancelling my membership. I understand how if I was grunting and groaning on every rep, every set, how that would be uneccessary and bothersome to other members, but...I wasn't doing that, I grunt loud once, to get through the hardest rep of the last set. Which is not out of line. It is a "gym" or so I thought afterall, not a library. I will never get as good of progress on getting stronger if I have to stop short of pushing past the point where I may have to groan a bit to power through the rep, so I'm going to a gym that will support me, not hamper me. /rant and on to a better and frankly bigger gym!

~Em1nAI

I'm a certified personal fitness trainer as well as a certifiable health nut.

Costume(s):
Toshiro Hitsugaya...100% done
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/248204/
Snake-Eyes...100% done
"Hammer pants have NOTHING on my hakama pants!"
Em1nAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #11702
halfdemongurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
Your boyfriend is 6'6" and 145lbs?!?!? That's basically anorexic. He must be a twig. This is not a healthy weight for someone his height. That would be on the skinny side for someone a FOOT shorter than him. He could probably put on about 30-40 pounds with barely a hint of fat no problem.

As far as for yourself, the numbers sound reasonable, and I bet if you made an effort to exercise, you could make some considerable "toning" improvements without any significant weight change. Stick with the exercising, and make sure to do squats, both you and your boyfriend should love the results.

Thanks for your concern. He eats all the time, in fact he's the one that makes me eat. He's always cooking. lol He's weighed 145 since he was a senior in high school (he's 27 now) and his doctor has been on his case for years about gaining weight. He just can't. He eats whatever he wants, whenever, and never gains an ounce (see where I start feeling self-conscious, lol) His weight is a sensitive subject, trust me if he could bulk up and have a small belly he'd be a happy camper.

Thanks, I'll look into doing squats.
Black Rock - Black Rock Shooter
Barnaby Brooks Jr - Tiger & Bunny
Joey Wheeler - Yugioh
CosplayNyan

Last edited by halfdemongurl : 01-13-2011 at 02:46 PM.
halfdemongurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #11703
kittylovesprog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenRiderAgito View Post
I've been relying solely on measuring tape for this exact reason. I've dropped another pant size since my ankle healed, mostly thanks to loads of cardio, but the scale did not reflect it. Wonder of all wonders, the measuring tape did. I was upset and a bit confused for like, a day, until I realized that I've been putting on muscle.

I'll be weighing in again next week though, after I see my doctor for mini checkup.
Yeah, it sounds like you're on the right track. I like to use both the scale and the tape too

Planned cosplays: The Prise: 20% completion
kittylovesprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #11704
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfdemongurl View Post
Thanks for your concern. He eats all the time, in fact he's the one that makes me eat. He's always cooking. lol He's weighed 145 since he was a senior in high school (he's 27 now) and his doctor has been on his case for years about gaining weight. He just can't. He eats whatever he wants, whenever, and never gains an ounce (see where I start feeling self-conscious, lol) His weight is a sensitive subject, trust me if he could bulk up and have a small belly he'd be a happy camper.

Thanks, I'll look into doing squats.
Has the doctor ever tested him for any thyroid issues? A blood test might help allocate an issue pretty quick. Or he can just force-feed himself. Some people think 2000 or 3000 calories is a lot, and it can be, but sometimes you need 4500-5000+ calories, EVERY single day, to gain weight. distantarray has mentioned a friend that had to stay over 6 or 7000 to start putting on weight. Though this gets expensive, and if you're healthy and happy doesn't really matter.

Em1nAI - Grats on the PR!!!! Don't let the man get you down, lol. Sounds like your gym is turning into a Planet Fitness *shudder.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #11705
Orichan

*sigh* I feel like the opposite has happened with me, I was about 12 and pretty thin when I first started cosplaying and I used to feel super cute, but since then I feel like that original cute feeling made me want to wear more revealing/ "hard to pull off" stuff. But I am so not there yet and it depresses me.... I need to start running lol
Orichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #11706
Churabu

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice workout without being in the gym? I don't own a car so it's difficult for me go to a local gym and say, work out on the treadmill there or lift some weights. T__T
I bought an exercise ball recently because I heard it's great for ab crunches and situps that won't hurt your back. I looked up some exercises but I really want a full-body workout. I started lifting weights.
I'm trying belly dancing...looked up some videos and started it, and it's really helped me out a lot. But I absolutely loathe running. Is there an alternative to this? Can I get the same workout doing some other activity?
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #11707
KamenRiderAgito
ハチコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churabu View Post
I absolutely loathe running. Is there an alternative to this? Can I get the same workout doing some other activity?
I hate running too. You can get around it, but you'll still need to do cardio. You might want to try a workout dvd, like tae bo or something. I just started using a few Jillian Michaels dvds, and they beat the treadmill.

Running is soooooo boooring.
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #11708
halfdemongurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
Has the doctor ever tested him for any thyroid issues? A blood test might help allocate an issue pretty quick. Or he can just force-feed himself. Some people think 2000 or 3000 calories is a lot, and it can be, but sometimes you need 4500-5000+ calories, EVERY single day, to gain weight. distantarray has mentioned a friend that had to stay over 6 or 7000 to start putting on weight. Though this gets expensive, and if you're healthy and happy doesn't really matter.

Em1nAI - Grats on the PR!!!! Don't let the man get you down, lol. Sounds like your gym is turning into a Planet Fitness *shudder.
I'm not entirely sure... His doctor is totally lame and he refuses to go to another one because "it's too much effort"... even when I schedule appointments for him >>; Wait... now that I think about it I believe he mentioned blood work sometime in the past... but I'm not entirely sure if that was for his weight or what... But yeah. I've been trying to get him to go for a long time, I mean when he got super sick and he was throwing up he still would find the strength to argue with me about going to the doctor... >< He's a stubborn man! xD
Black Rock - Black Rock Shooter
Barnaby Brooks Jr - Tiger & Bunny
Joey Wheeler - Yugioh
CosplayNyan
halfdemongurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #11709
x0xLindseyLovex
Panda cookie queen : 3

argh XD totally fell off the band wagon last night/today with a well known phenomena known as the 'im legal and at uni, so lets get drunk and or stupid' and i did all of the aforementioned activities, now today was a hangover filled mess full of simple carbs, and grease to cure this wicked hangover. So tomorrow tis back to the gym for me!

And to the gym I shall wander, for the fields of ellipicals are far too tempting for mine wandering eye.
Saturdayot season 3
Sunday: ??? (depends on how done my skin is with the paint)
x0xLindseyLovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #11710
EriBear18

Fell of the band wagon this week after i got sick at work. this week it's back to the gym and i'm going to try to go before work not after.
Sun:Kairi?

Future Cosplay
Sailor Jupiter (All forms)
Lenna Lee-D. Grayman
Allen Walker-D. Grayman
Claire - Claymore
EriBear18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #11711
Churabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenRiderAgito View Post
I hate running too. You can get around it, but you'll still need to do cardio. You might want to try a workout dvd, like tae bo or something. I just started using a few Jillian Michaels dvds, and they beat the treadmill.

Running is soooooo boooring.
You just saved my life. I'll look into those DVDs and tae bo, thanks so much! Ugh...running on the treadmill is easier than running around the park or neighborhood, but I hate it just as much. It seems so pointless to me.
But, do these workouts have the same benefits as running? I know running is THE top cardio workout...
Unread 01-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #11712
KamenRiderAgito
ハチコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churabu View Post
You just saved my life. I'll look into those DVDs and tae bo, thanks so much! Ugh...running on the treadmill is easier than running around the park or neighborhood, but I hate it just as much. It seems so pointless to me.
But, do these workouts have the same benefits as running? I know running is THE top cardio workout...
From what I understand, workouts that use the entire body are the best. When you're running, you're just using your legs (and your arms if you pump them, I guess), but the dvds I've been using have full body circuit workouts, which is supposed to be a lot more effective. Not to mention less boring.

Lol, I'm always happy to find other people who appreciate how boring/pointless running is.
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #11713
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

I've finally got to just about my ideal weight =) but now i want to tone my tummy/abs and legs. I cant afford a gym membership but i do have a Gazelle and a Cross Bow. Other than using those what are some good ways to tone those parts of my body, im not always at home so there are times when i want to work out but cant.

Sailor Moon (Crystal) - 100% Complete!

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #11714
HEYOashley
Cosplaying again

Really cutting down on fats and working out everyday, taking stairs, doing push-ups whenever, etc. Finally starting to get away from my plateau and getting a burn all over. Every part of my body felt sore yesterday, even though I had separated the workout routines (such as legs one day, arms another, etc). Really excited. Stomach constantly feels tight now. Thighs no longer touching when I put my feet together, woo. I only see two particular things now to focus on. Leg definition around calves and thighs.

Current Projects
Filia 0%
Fantisma: 10%
Tsubasa's School Outfit: 10%
Kneesocks: 10%
HEYOashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #11715
Em1nAI
Ectomorphic Introvert

Quote:
Every part of my body felt sore yesterday, even though I had separated the workout routines (such as legs one day, arms another, etc).
Honestly the burn the day after a workout is my measure of how good I actually worked out. That's what you want!

Quote:
Thighs no longer touching when I put my feet together, woo.
Sweet one of your main goals finally reached.

Quote:
I only see two particular things now to focus on. Leg definition around calves and thighs.
Awesome new goal to have. I think getting definition in the calves is challenging. For thighs, I remember the day I looked in the mirror and thought, "whoa, I can actually see the different muscles in my leg, instead of just one lump" lol. It'll be a happy day you see that definition developing!

~Em1nAI

I'm a certified personal fitness trainer as well as a certifiable health nut.

Costume(s):
Toshiro Hitsugaya...100% done
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/248204/
Snake-Eyes...100% done
"Hammer pants have NOTHING on my hakama pants!"
Em1nAI is offline   Reply With Quote