Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #11851
JDubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_grl View Post
i'm in an apartment and currently don't have a job so i'm pretty much stuck with whatever i can get from Save-A-Lot.. namely 10 for $10 pastas, ramen and whatever they might have on sale. i have been able to stick to drinking waters instead of the sodas my bf insists on keeping in the house though he knows it's just another temptation for me..
Eat a higher protein diet--protein helps the body feel less hungry. Peanut butter is good (add celery, which is cheap), but make sure you don't over do it on the peanut butter or it will add on extra weight (same with all foods--don't over do it). Bake chicken and steam frozen vegetables (in bulk and then reheat). I did that during college and I didn't have any money. Also, when you feel hungry but know you have eaten too much already, try a green tea (don't add sugar, but if you have to, only add a little bit) as it will help cut the hunger urge.
JDubbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #11852
lemuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_grl View Post
i'm in an apartment and currently don't have a job so i'm pretty much stuck with whatever i can get from Save-A-Lot.. namely 10 for $10 pastas, ramen and whatever they might have on sale. i have been able to stick to drinking waters instead of the sodas my bf insists on keeping in the house though he knows it's just another temptation for me..
According to http://www.mensfitness.com/ian-cohen...ealthy-protein, not only is peanut butter a good way to go, but look into tuna and eggs as cheap sources of protein.

Also, I don't know much about it, but it says that whey powder can be gotten cheaply. I'm allergic, so I am stuck with exactly one (soy) protein powder brand that I can use, regardless of price, but maybe some people here could recommend where to get cheap whey. I do know that although my supermarket offers my protein powder, I can get it cheaper online by buying in bulk from a "all shipping just $5" website.

I've said for a long time how screwed up it is that it's expensive to eat well and that terrible food is dirt cheap. You're in a tough place, no doubt about it. I recommend that if you can't eat as well as you should, at least watch your calories and see if you can minimize excess that is making you feel bloaty and icky.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #11853
Ravena
Ravena

I definitely recommend whey protein - I have it for breakfast every day, I mix a scoop with ice water cause I love the taste of mine (chocolate mint!), but others frequently add raw oats, spinach, honey, peanut butter - there's a bunch of ways to make it into a smoothie.

I pay about $50 for my tub, but it lasts me a couple months of breakfasts, plus post-workout shakes if I have one. That's WAY cheaper than eggs or cereal etc every day. The investment is worth it in the long run. I buy mine on amazon, "Optimum Nutrition" is the name - there's like 30 flavors, and they're all the same nutritional value - taste great, mimimal sugar and carbs. It's one of the better ones without getting into the super expensive premium brands. Muscle Milk isn't good, don't get it - way too much sugar and other crap.

I substitute in scrambled egg whites (eggs are super cheap protein sources) or whole wheat toast with peanut butter (again both cheap) if I feel like solids.

Definitely keep up your protein intake, the best carbs I've found are quinoa, brown rice or sweet potato, quinoa you can buy in bulk for cheap at Costco etc, sweet potatos you can get in bulk in season there too (elsewhere its a little more pricey.). Brown rice is cheapest, buy it anywhere.

DON'T NEGLECT YOUR CARBS People do this all the time. You need carbs for energy and eating them regularly cuts down on your cravings for unhealthy stuff.

I prepackage healthy snacks, fresh veggies and hummus, low sugar jello, string cheese, sweet bell peppers etc etc - have them in your fridge, so when you crave a snack you can grab and go. Don't leave unhealthy items (cookies, potato chips) in the house, they're too tempting.

I'm good with working out (I lift weights) but I'm terrible in the kitchen (love baking!), so I use "Lose it" as an app to keep track of my eating - it tells me what percentage of carbs/proteins and fats I'm eating. I try to get 30/50/20 for those, and it works great for me. You can use a notepad and a macro calculator website if you don't have a smartphone, there's loads around.

Definitely get rid of the pasta and ramen. Switch to wholewheat pasta if you must, i found it easier to cut it out completely cause I am a lasagna fiend. Jump on a recipe website, find some well reviewed recipes for chicken etc and have at it (again, chicken is cheap bought in bulk if there's a wholesale store/costco near you - if not, ask your local store when the meat is marked down and go shopping that day).

Good luck! Eating healthy is hard but very much worth it.
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #11854
anime_grl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbs View Post
Eat a higher protein diet--protein helps the body feel less hungry. Peanut butter is good (add celery, which is cheap), but make sure you don't over do it on the peanut butter or it will add on extra weight (same with all foods--don't over do it). Bake chicken and steam frozen vegetables (in bulk and then reheat). I did that during college and I didn't have any money. Also, when you feel hungry but know you have eaten too much already, try a green tea (don't add sugar, but if you have to, only add a little bit) as it will help cut the hunger urge.
i'll have to check out the chicken selections next time i go grocery shopping. and pick up some celery and peanut butter (never been a huge fan but that actually sounds really good right now!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
According to http://www.mensfitness.com/ian-cohen...ealthy-protein, not only is peanut butter a good way to go, but look into tuna and eggs as cheap sources of protein.

Also, I don't know much about it, but it says that whey powder can be gotten cheaply. I'm allergic, so I am stuck with exactly one (soy) protein powder brand that I can use, regardless of price, but maybe some people here could recommend where to get cheap whey. I do know that although my supermarket offers my protein powder, I can get it cheaper online by buying in bulk from a "all shipping just $5" website.

I've said for a long time how screwed up it is that it's expensive to eat well and that terrible food is dirt cheap. You're in a tough place, no doubt about it. I recommend that if you can't eat as well as you should, at least watch your calories and see if you can minimize excess that is making you feel bloaty and icky.
i love eggs. i try to include them in breakfast as often as possible. i'v eheard of whey powder but have never really looked too far into it, but i definitely will now! and i totally agree that good for you foods should be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravena View Post
I definitely recommend whey protein - I have it for breakfast every day, I mix a scoop with ice water cause I love the taste of mine (chocolate mint!), but others frequently add raw oats, spinach, honey, peanut butter - there's a bunch of ways to make it into a smoothie.

I pay about $50 for my tub, but it lasts me a couple months of breakfasts, plus post-workout shakes if I have one. That's WAY cheaper than eggs or cereal etc every day. The investment is worth it in the long run. I buy mine on amazon, "Optimum Nutrition" is the name - there's like 30 flavors, and they're all the same nutritional value - taste great, mimimal sugar and carbs. It's one of the better ones without getting into the super expensive premium brands. Muscle Milk isn't good, don't get it - way too much sugar and other crap.

I substitute in scrambled egg whites (eggs are super cheap protein sources) or whole wheat toast with peanut butter (again both cheap) if I feel like solids.

Definitely keep up your protein intake, the best carbs I've found are quinoa, brown rice or sweet potato, quinoa you can buy in bulk for cheap at Costco etc, sweet potatos you can get in bulk in season there too (elsewhere its a little more pricey.). Brown rice is cheapest, buy it anywhere.

DON'T NEGLECT YOUR CARBS People do this all the time. You need carbs for energy and eating them regularly cuts down on your cravings for unhealthy stuff.

I prepackage healthy snacks, fresh veggies and hummus, low sugar jello, string cheese, sweet bell peppers etc etc - have them in your fridge, so when you crave a snack you can grab and go. Don't leave unhealthy items (cookies, potato chips) in the house, they're too tempting.

I'm good with working out (I lift weights) but I'm terrible in the kitchen (love baking!), so I use "Lose it" as an app to keep track of my eating - it tells me what percentage of carbs/proteins and fats I'm eating. I try to get 30/50/20 for those, and it works great for me. You can use a notepad and a macro calculator website if you don't have a smartphone, there's loads around.

Definitely get rid of the pasta and ramen. Switch to wholewheat pasta if you must, i found it easier to cut it out completely cause I am a lasagna fiend. Jump on a recipe website, find some well reviewed recipes for chicken etc and have at it (again, chicken is cheap bought in bulk if there's a wholesale store/costco near you - if not, ask your local store when the meat is marked down and go shopping that day).

Good luck! Eating healthy is hard but very much worth it.
i have an ipod so i'll look up that app. i think i'm just going to try and cut out the pasta... i'm getting pretty sick of it anyway. we actually just got some sugar-free jello cups. i'll be sure to grab those when i want something sweet rather than my boyfriends zebra cakes >=(

thank you all for the tips!! you're all awesome!!

"Life is like a good manga; you just can't stop."

Conventions:
Animarathon 2012
Colossalcon 2012(2014?)
Youmacon 2012
Ohayocon 2013/2014)
anime_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #11855
David07

High protein food and lack of exercise caused fatness and weight gain.Exercise and proper diet are very important to lose weight and improve fitness. Avoid all high protein food like meats, nuts, grains, cheese, fast foods, fried and dairy products. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, yogurt, drink green tea, fruit juices and plenty of water. Go for walking, running, cycling, practice push ups, bench press and chair squat. It improve mood, burns fat,make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve heart functions and improve fitness.
befit tacoma

Last edited by David07 : 10-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.
David07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #11856
lemuries

I agree with only part of what was written above me, but I count calories.

High-calorie foods combined with no exercise will cause weight gain IF your calories-in are more than your BMR + calories-expended. When I exercise more, I can afford more calories-in. For a 200-calorie meal, I can choose four bags of steamed vegetables or two handfuls of almonds, but I'm going to feel more full with the vegetables than I am with the almonds (and I won't be hungry as fast). But if I need almonds, I can have them. Just remember that we have a lot of food choices in the world, and a lot of different nutrients that our bodies use to be healthy. Variety in your diet is important so you don't get deficiencies.

I don't agree that it is a good idea to avoid meat. People mistake me for a vegetarian because I enjoy soy in many forms, but lean meat is a great source of low-calorie protein. Protein is very important for rebuilding your muscles after a workout. The right meats are a key part of successful weight loss for me, but my primary source of protein is soy protein powder. I just think it's important to vary your protein sources (as long as you're not morally opposed) so that you don't end up missing out on some important nutrient.

Vegetables and fruits are fantastic for your body and weight loss, but they're also not cheap, and not everyone can afford to live on them. It's also really important to rotate through different kinds of vegetables and fruits, to diversify the nutrients you are getting. And though I'm aware that yams and potatoes are classified as vegetables, they are mostly starch, just like bread, pasta, and rice and will work against your weight loss in big quantities.

Green tea has a lot of benefits to people who already take in caffeine, but some of us are just happier without that chemical in our bodies. And as much as I love tea, I have to remember that it does stain teeth. Hibiscus tea is a great comfort to me personally when I simply can't face one more cup of unflavored water, and it's great for lowering blood pressure. So don't decide that it's green tea or nothing. Plenty of people turn to crystal light and other artificial flavors that make my hypotension worse.

I can't stress getting enough water. I am really heavy right now, so I try to drink a gallon of water a day (I sneak it into jello, tea, and instant soups too). the MINIMUM is 8 glasses, but I am doing 16. No soda, no juice, no milk, just water. Soda, like tea, can act like a diuretic. Know the tradeoffs.

I absolutely agree with David07 about fried foods and fast foods. I got off that stuff for months and then smelled McD fries once and had a rabid craving. Eventually I gave in and backslid for an embarrassing amount of weight. Fried food makes me hate myself as I was eating it, and then makes me want more of it. Fried foods makes being healthy hard, and fast food is terrifyingly high-calorie.

I find that cravings go away after about 4 hours, except for the few that don't. If they don't, they will stay with me for more than 5 days! At that point, I give in and have 1 to 3 bites, no more. That's all it takes to silence the craving within me, is 3 bites. And the caloric impact is not catastrophic. So if you can't willpower-away your cravings, give in but just a bit, and only once! Few people can ironman their way to a perfect body. The rest of us shoot for "be good at least 80% of the time." Getting into a healthy body is addictive, so chances are you're going to want it for the rest of your life. That means eating right and exercising for the rest of your life. Don't give up what you love, just budget it into your diet!
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #11857
lexi491625

That is definitely a source of motivation. My main reason for wanting to lose weight is so that I can feel comfortable in my Queen Kida cosplay. I don't wear revealing clothes anywhere else and I don't have anyone to impress so that only time I feel self-conscious is when I'm wearing next to nothing in costume. I'm still not at my goal (it's not really a numerical thing, more of a bodyfat percentage thing), but I'm hoping to be ready for my England con next year.
lexi491625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #11858
candycoco

go on a diet!be careful dont lose too much!~
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #11859
ZeroEnna
Geocaching Cosplayer

Well,I'm 5'6" and about 155lbs. Way too mich, if You ask ne.
now, I know WHY I gained a lot of weight.. I'm married for two years now...you know, eating together is tastier and stuff.

anyway, because I want to cosplay more bishounen/feminine/female charaters, my goal is to get back to my former 126lbs.

Eating less junk food, more salad and fruits, doing some sports and (important) drinking The necessary 2 litres will hopefully do the trick.
oh and

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!
ZeroEnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #11860
Bovice

I was about to ask your gender, since we're the same height/weight, but then I kept reading. Good luck!
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #11861
kirilee

As I am new to cosplaying, I can't say that I have started losing weight because of it... however, as my first con is coming up and I plan on doing a kick arse cosplay, it sure is a motivator.

I'm not the lightest of people, and my body shape/ structure means that I will always be broad in the shoulders for a girl and I have hips and a bum. As I got older, I realised that I actually have a bit of an hourglass figure (though not extreme - damnit). Basically, I've got curves. I always will have curves.

Anyway, about halfway through this year, I almost got to my highest weight ever. However since then, I have lost over 10kg (22 pounds). Still counting. I'm hoping to lose between 5-10kg before the convention I am planning to attend in late March.

Next convention: Supernova - Perth, Australia

kirilee is offline   Reply With Quote