Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-24-2003, 12:18 PM   #1
Vinya

How to make your first skit?

Hiya, hiya. ^_^ Weell... I was just wondering... I'm supposed to make a skit for a con (it's probably going to be the only skit. ^_^) buut... I've never made one!! Help! Help! Panicking! Ack! The con I'm going to is strongly role-play-oriented, and we have about 8-10 people to the skit. But ack! What am I supposed to do?

Unread 01-24-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

For a first skit, I would definitely have it be short - as everyone will be nervous and the less to remember the better. Any certain shows or characters could try to tie together or make a silly joke/pun with?
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2003, 12:50 AM   #3
Vinya

Weelll... That's a part of the problem. The people in the skit are going to be Rinoa, Inu Yasha, Kagome (from inuyasha! ^_^), Kiraka (or whatever it was... that black-haired girl from Noir), Vampire Princess Miyu, Edea and Sai from Hikaru no Go. What a crew. ^_^
Vinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
ThatYaoiBoy
Sewing Impaired

lmao Sai x__x; That's my name. I'm making my first skit too ^o^ I wish you luck on yours!
ThatYaoiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
TsukiGuujin

Oh, man, what a group! You might not want to do your first skit with a mix-and-match like that. X.x

But it is up to you. I'm not really good on mix and match stuff, or I'd be more help.

We just did our debut skit, and it was great fun. ^^

Ganbatte!

~~Tsuki Guujin~~
TsukiGuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 05:20 AM   #6
makio
resident slacker

I wondered about this subject myself. I've only done two cosplay skits in my time with this hobby... but here's something I've noticed as both a viewer in the crowd and a participant in a skit:

1) HAVE A BACK-UP PLAN. I'd be here all day explaining past cosplay skits where there was Audio/Visual problems, missing participants, costumes falling apart, etc. You can't predict if the skit turns out any good, but it's always good to have a contingency plan. A/V problems seem to be the most reoccuring issue.

2) SINGING. Yeegods, I've heard some bad ones. I'm not Simon from "American Idol" but seriously folks; if your singing is questionable at best, you have trouble remembering the lines, or if you're in the voice-cracking puberty stage ... just have who ever's working A/V play the tune for you. Or better yet, save it for Karaoke like a lot of cons prefer.

3) APPEASING THE AUDIENCE. Obviously, the skit's got to please the audience and judges. Cracking a joke only a handful of friends might get won't help. Acting out a scene from an anime/game the majority haven't heard of definitely won't help. If possible, work an 'introduction' into the skit so everyone can enjoy it. I wouldn't try pulling people from the audience either, since that's asking for "random" comments and acts from the person, possibly ruining the skit.

4) SKIT STYLE. By far this is the hardest thing for a group to come up with, especially if it's people you've met that very day. Since it's obvious there's little-to-no time to practice... keep it short, sweet, and memorable. Maybe do a satire of the anime/game/genre you're portraying. Or a scene introducing the audience into the cosplay. I don't know about all the conventions, but most of them favor "humorous" skits as an end result as Hikaru suggested. FYI: Longer skits means that's a LONGER time you have to keep the crowd into it.

5) THE STAGE. Definitely check the stage first to see how much room you have, and if needbe compensate for it. So if you notice the stage is nothing more than covered tables... it wouldn't be wise to do anything that'd put a Jackie Chan movie to shame with all the stunts. If you notice it's smaller than planned, change up the skit to either have them exit stage or wait by adjacent to it til' their part comes up.

"Then what am I supposed to believe in? What am I going to leave behind when I'm through?"
-Raiden, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
`````

Last edited by makio : 02-05-2003 at 05:26 AM.
makio is offline   Reply With Quote