Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-02-2005, 12:50 AM   #1
BasharOfTheAges

Cosplay attractions in Japan

I thought it might be a longshot, but I'm going to be going to Nagoya and Tokyo (as well as some areas in between) this January with a few friends and I was wondering if anyone could recomend any Cosplay related stores or events that i might be able to add to my "things to do" list.

Unread 08-02-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I don't know of events, but you might want to ask Supremeronin, as there's usually an event every few weeks that he attends, but I don't remember what it's called.

As for stores, you'd probably want to hit a COSPA (there's a few, with addresses on their website) or Mandrake. I've never been to Mandrake, so I'm not sure where it is, but I imagine if you find their website it will have a small map.

www.cospa.com

Just be aware that addresses in Japan are not like most other places, so cities will give directions based on the nearest train or subway station, normally. Otherwise you can't really find it based on just the address alone.

There's also the Animate in Ikebukuro, which is right near a very large manga shop, too (name I forgot, maybe K's?). It's 7 or 8 stories tall, and is the largest Animate in Japan. They should also have a website, possibly www.animate.co.jp

I don't know anything about Nagoya except that the castle is pretty cool. And they do hold events there, but I don't know how to find out about them. Try PMing Arella or JanMurphy.

I think there's been a thread like this before.... try searching, as I feel this one will also be locked.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:01 AM   #3
Maayacola
Marginally Intoxicated.

Cospa's pretty cool. I was an exchange student this year in Japan, and there's a really good Cospa in Tokyo. What part of Tokyo will you be in?
Maayacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
BasharOfTheAges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maayacola
Cospa's pretty cool. I was an exchange student this year in Japan, and there's a really good Cospa in Tokyo. What part of Tokyo will you be in?
Well i did have someone that was going to be there to show us around (he lived in Tokyo for a year) but he got bribed into waiting until the summer to go so it's kinda up in the air as to where i'm going to be (I have no solid plans yet).
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:24 AM   #5
Maayacola
Marginally Intoxicated.

Oh I see. Well, if you're going to the Harajuku area, or Shin-Osaka, you're bound to find some very very interesting cosplay things to do.

I think every person interested in modern Japanese culture/ and or cosplay should go to these two places. Seriously. There's a million little stores and fetish places that sell different cosplay stuffs, and there's always something happening in the Harajuku offshoots. Actually, if you follow the Yamanote line of the JR Railway system, and get off at every stop you can find a different cosplay experience lol.

If you speak Japanese it will probably be a little easier^_^

If not, before you leave, remind me to make you a map in case you get there!
Maayacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:52 AM   #6
BasharOfTheAges

Eleryth: I'm definately going to at least one or two Mandrake stores (although more for gifts and the doujin than anything else).

Cospa and Animate sound like good ideas as well... now if i could only find some maps in English or at least acompinied with English...

Maayacola: Thanks you are so generous to offer to help.
Unread 08-02-2005, 04:42 AM   #7
DarknessSummit
Like a Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasharOfTheAges
I thought it might be a longshot, but I'm going to be going to Nagoya and Tokyo (as well as some areas in between) this January with a few friends and I was wondering if anyone could recomend any Cosplay related stores or events that i might be able to add to my "things to do" list.
lol, u should ask me, im currently in japan(tokyo), taking japanese classes, coming back to NY next week though, ive been here for six weeks.....well u can always try the animate shops(huge anime items/cosplay store) also try cospa shops and the cospatio shop in shubuya(tokyo), any other questions u can pm me....and also in august theres going to be a huge rock concert with many awesome japanese bands...asian kung fu generation is going to be there too, sadly im returning before this happens...also more anime conventions happining in august
Animeboston?
OTAKON

Upcoming costumes:
cursed seal 2 sakon
laguna loire?
amano itachi?
DarknessSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 04:49 AM   #8
ilumiari
What is "Shower?"

<unrelated> YAY only 11 more days until Comiket! Just finished my costume! </unrelated>
There is also the Yellow Submarine chain of stores, they are mostly hobby stores (models, etc) but they sell some of the COSPA stuff that COSPA got rid of. I got the worlds most awsome COSPA FMA tshirt from the Chiba store.
There is actually a monthly magazine that lists cosplay events in Japan (Thats its purpose!). I'm not sure where it is sold, but my friend gave me a copy. I have never seen it in bookshops, but maybe at COSPA or one of the cosplay stores.

(edit) DarknessSummit, where in Shibuya is that shop? I'm going to Shinjuku tomorrow and may have time to stop in Shibuya on the way home.
Unread 08-02-2005, 05:44 AM   #9
DarknessSummit
Like a Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilumiari
<unrelated> YAY only 11 more days until Comiket! Just finished my costume! </unrelated>
There is also the Yellow Submarine chain of stores, they are mostly hobby stores (models, etc) but they sell some of the COSPA stuff that COSPA got rid of. I got the worlds most awsome COSPA FMA tshirt from the Chiba store.
There is actually a monthly magazine that lists cosplay events in Japan (Thats its purpose!). I'm not sure where it is sold, but my friend gave me a copy. I have never seen it in bookshops, but maybe at COSPA or one of the cosplay stores.

(edit) DarknessSummit, where in Shibuya is that shop? I'm going to Shinjuku tomorrow and may have time to stop in Shibuya on the way home.

OOOH maybe we can meet! we can also watch the FMA movie together....ill show u afterwards
Animeboston?
OTAKON

Upcoming costumes:
cursed seal 2 sakon
laguna loire?
amano itachi?
Unread 08-02-2005, 05:45 AM   #10
DarknessSummit
Like a Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilumiari

hey wait...????doesnt comiket only happen during the winter...around december? or is it a huge time difference every year
Animeboston?
OTAKON

Upcoming costumes:
cursed seal 2 sakon
laguna loire?
amano itachi?
Unread 08-02-2005, 07:47 AM   #11
Sakura
Original Sakura

Comiket was a lot of fun, I only went to the August one while I was in Tokyo during 2003 but I think there was one in January too so if you go you can buy some awesome books >.>;; I came home with all hentai. Lots of yaoi.
Unread 08-02-2005, 08:56 AM   #12
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Comiket happens twice a year, always around Obon in August (the second weekend or so, around the 12th generally), and at the end of December, the 30-31 or thereabouts. December Comiket is only 2 days, and summer comiket is 3.

Apparently Nagoya has a "cosplay live" event every month, but I don't know anything more than that about it at all.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
Kyuriko
At Your Service

Hey, DarknessSummit, when is that rock concert?? «-- AKFG junkie. My uncle said he'd be quite happy to take me to Japan sometime this year, but if we get tickets now and it's in August, I'm sure they'll be more expensive. It's a shame. But it would be great to go there for Christmas break.

I was going to suggest Comiket too, but everyone's already mentioned it. It starts next week, August 12-15 according to their website, which is here. Their English site isn't up yet, but it's mentioned on the main page.

I also Googled for some Tokyo anime events, and came up with this link: http://www.digi-promotion.com/tokyo-...nts-anime.html. Not exactly cosplay events, but other anime-related places you might want to check out while you're there, like the Studio Ghibli museum and the Sunigami Anime Museum. They list some Tokyo cons, too. I hope you have a blast and be sure to take plenty of pictures!
Kyuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #14
DarknessSummit
Like a Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuriko
Hey, DarknessSummit, when is that rock concert?? «-- AKFG junkie. My uncle said he'd be quite happy to take me to Japan sometime this year, but if we get tickets now and it's in August, I'm sure they'll be more expensive. It's a shame. But it would be great to go there for Christmas break.

I was going to suggest Comiket too, but everyone's already mentioned it. It starts next week, August 12-15 according to their website, which is here. Their English site isn't up yet, but it's mentioned on the main page.

I also Googled for some Tokyo anime events, and came up with this link: http://www.digi-promotion.com/tokyo-...nts-anime.html. Not exactly cosplay events, but other anime-related places you might want to check out while you're there, like the Studio Ghibli museum and the Sunigami Anime Museum. They list some Tokyo cons, too. I hope you have a blast and be sure to take plenty of pictures!
im sorry i dont know the exact date, but im sure in the HMV music store some of the employees might know
Animeboston?
OTAKON

Upcoming costumes:
cursed seal 2 sakon
laguna loire?
amano itachi?
Unread 08-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #15
Sakura
Original Sakura

Gamers is a fun store to go to, also. I'm really starting to get hazy on my memories of where everything is in Japan but I think there was one in Ikekuburo and it's on a really cool street. Gamers sells cute broccoli related cosplay items (though you can find some of them in Waldenbooks now in the USA). In the same building as Gamers there's an second-hand EGL store that also sells j-rock albums and another anime-related store. On the same street there's the Sakura Taisen cafe (with life sized colored statues of the characters and a cute gift shop) and a sega arcade (but those are everywhere in Tokyo) and also a Sanrio store.