Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 08-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Post Con No Baka - Cosplay Events

Con No Baka Cosplay

While Con No Baka: the 1st will not be hosting a masquerade, we will have a photographic area with professional backdrops and lighting. We will have a contest and prizes for hall costumes and other events spread across the convention.

Anime Plays and Similar Events Hall Costume Contest/ Photographic Area
Instead of a masquerade or red and white show, which showcase anime performances of only few minutes at best, Con No Baka will have an Anime Play room. This will be for cosplay performances of 30 minutes to an hour in length. This room will have basic staging and a/v setup for performances, similar to what smaller con masquerades have, as opposed to the huge one at Anime North.

What's in it for cosplayers? Have you and your friends had an idea which would take more than a few minutes? Want to do something different than a masquerade or similar show would allow? We're happy to be flexible to Encourage your creativity.

We do understand that this kind of event takes more work than a typical masquerade performance, and we'll more than be happy to help with the
organization of your play both before (scripts, rehearsals, staging, technical) and during the convention to make sure that it pulls together well, and you don't feel like you are doing all the work on your own.

Since this kind of event requires organization on the part of the player beyond simply dressing in costume, and will not include an award component, cosplayers who develop and perform an anime play will be considered 'staff' for the purposes of membership refunds (full or partial, depending on their participation in the play).

For our other attendees, you can see cosplay events that you won't find at many other conventions. As noted above, we'll be working with the local cosplay community to provide events both creative and engaging.
Con No Baka will have a hall costume contest as well as a professional photography area. Cosplayers can sign up for a specific time on the photo schedule, so they needn't wear a heavy, awkward, or fragile costume all day (just as long as they want) to be considered equally for a costuming award. Expect our awards to be inline with other hall costuming awards. For other attendees, the photography area is a great opportunity for you to get excellent photographs of cosplayers in all sorts of costumes

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious. Is anyone going to do a half hour play?

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

I don't think anyone would be willing to WATCH a half hour play!
Unread 08-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Otaking97
Terrible Great King

Damn that would be long! 5 minutes is pretty good. Anything over that and.....

Either way it certainly sounds good and interesting. Hopefully there are enough cosplayers involved to make it awesome.

I'll think I'll have to go and check it out just to see how everything works.

My HUGE ASS Anime/Manga/Figure collection:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=352110
Otaking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
lainey
D2R Cosplay

i was wondering about that...30 minute skits????? that's....REALLY hard to do and requires OODLES of practice O_O O_O

I e-mailed because I wanted to volunteer and/or do a cosplay panel...but no response as of yet O_O O_O
2012 Cons: Coming to a con near you!
Anime North |Otakon
lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Edgar Strife
Thinking & Planning....

Hum......cosplay performances of 30 minutes to an hour eh? Now that's alot of time for any kind of skit.

Wow, that's sure to be one hack of a challenge for anyone to pull off. The fact that your going to need many people to join in [your going to need people to play in the background, if you like], a story and music. It would be quite interesting to watch rather they re-act a anime from a manga or make something new. Why does this bring back memories of the play from FFVI [Those who play FFIII/ FVI or Athonolgy, may remember The Opera Play] and FFVII. [Those who play FFVII will remember the play with Cloud, Aries, the knight and the dragon.]

Hum.....it does very sound interesting and music can be added as well right? [thinks, a cafe sence with ff/ videogame and anime cosplayers with haibane remie music playing in the back ground [Haibane-Remie music is a relaxing muisic perfect for a cafe sence] or a battle sence with ff battle music playing in the back ground.] It does sound like fun, that would be fun to do, but can be very challenging and difficault as well.

Last edited by Edgar Strife : 08-14-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Edgar Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
Brita_Lee
Hooba!

I suppose also, this gives cosplayers a chance to make a skit in a professional setting they always wanted, for themselves more than others, like they get a friend to tape it so they can always have it.
Brita_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
kels
Jelly Cosplay

even so.. i think that 30 mins is too long.. and think about all the stress you would be getting JUST for organizing a thing 10 minutes long.. unless youre doing it by yourself, or in a really tiny group

kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 12:13 AM   #8
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kels
even so.. i think that 30 mins is too long.. and think about all the stress you would be getting JUST for organizing a thing 10 minutes long.. unless youre doing it by yourself, or in a really tiny group
2nd-ed on just about every aspect.

Although, if people are doing it by themselves, I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch a 30 min long monologue. >_>

I'm really curious to see if anyone will be able to pull off something 30 mins in length...and not end up playing to an empty room by the end of it. -_-;;

I think anything that long in length would require more than a couple of months of preperation to be any good considering people usually have work and school. >_>

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
Brita_Lee
Hooba!

Yeah, the whole thirty minute thing raised a brow on this end. To each his own I 'spose. I think most people won't have the patience to watch something that long unless its absolutely amazing. ^^'
Brita_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

I think this is very funny. Usually everyone is complaining the time limit is too short, now it's too long. It goes to show that nobody is ever satisfied! :rofl:

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal
I think this is very funny. Usually everyone is complaining the time limit is too short, now it's too long. It goes to show that nobody is ever satisfied! :rofl:
that's kinda true. -_-;;

What about just having a 1 hour maximum time limit and dropping the 30 mins minimum time limit? I think that would get a much nicer reception since I think most of the time, the skits are just hard to get under the 1 min requirement, but aren't insanely long. >_>

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #12
Vicky
Now with more bwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal
Hey! I love the <1 minute time limit, especially when I'm in the audience XD
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote