Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime USA

Unread 08-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
xChinaDollx

new to AUSA

So anyways, i was just wondering, whats there to do at AUSA? I've never been there before and i'm just wondering what else is there to do instead of just walking around and taking photos?
xChinaDollx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
AgentOS
Convention Go-Getter

There honestly is not too much to do. They have a gameroom that is pretty decent usually in the bar area, a big masquerade of course, some panels, a movie room, video rooms, etc. When I went last year I found most stuff to be lacking. The concert is probably the main attraction. Last year was camino who some people really like. I was not very impressed but this year is MOVE. I am only going friday night-sat to see them and book out midnight saturday. It is a rather small convention. I also recommend a swimsuit since the pool is fairly large.
AgentOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
bag0k
Sailor srs >:|

I really like Anime USA because it's so small. There are less lines, crowds, and the people are so very friendley! It's got nothing special going for it, so I think of it as being a newbie con. It was my first convention and did a very good job doing just that. The game room last year was really fun. It was where I got my first taste of Katamari Damacy, and this year they'll have not one, but two DDR arcade mahcines!
I like the dealer's room. Katsucon's was bigger and I have yet to see Otakon's, but I thought at Katsucon that the content really was repeated over and over. The dealer's room is a bit small, but has all your basic con-things. Wall scrolls, plushies, poky and ramune, bags, figurines, (I don't remember seeing any yaoi doujinshi like at Katsucon, but that doesn't concern me... O_o)

To sum it up, it's not a big con, it's a nice, cozy little con. I don't think it's worth a road trip, though. (One of the main reasons I like it is it's only 20 minutes from my house...) But if you're in the area, I highly reccomend you check it out.
Unread 08-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Koneko_Asami

I loved AUSA. It was the very first con I went to (in 2003) and this'll be my second time going. (we couldn't make it last year >.<). I live in NJ, so, even though its a nice small con, I'm attatched to it. Which is why my friends and I are willing to spend 4 hours in a car to go XDD. I really like it, like bag0k said, because it's small. It's a nice cozy atmosphere, and I had a lot of fun the first time I went...can't wait for this time, either. n_n.
Koneko_Asami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Miroku205
Worships Fate-chan

Yeah im a newbie Cosplayer, this is my first con, and my friend is coming with me it's gonna be about 8 Hrs for me since i live in the upstate of South Carolina, i have a other friend who has been to a lot of cons in this day, and he said for a newbie cosplayer to go to AUSA so me and my friend are going to it later this year.
Miroku205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
quadrain61
Hampsters are evil

If I go, it'll be my first formal Anime USA. Last year I only stayed 5 hours.

From what I saw last year, not much. Much like a lot of smaller cons, MAKE FUN!
Unread 08-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
Star_Angel
That Oboe Girl

AUSA is a smaller con, but they have the perks of a larger con, a band plays, they have awesome guest, nice dealers room (and it improves every year i think). Its not as busy as otakon but its larger then Anime Mid-Atlantic (if that helps at all)
Unread 08-26-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Himemiya
AAAHHH INTERFACING

What were the numbers from last year? About how many people?
Himemiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
Flicker

It's true that there will be times where there isn't a panel you want to go to or an anime you want to see. There is, of course, the manga library if you are interested in that sort of thing. The game room is also another option, but I liked the manga library more since there weren't many people there and it was a nice place to just sit back and read.

Other than that, it's standard con stuff. AMVs, anime showings, panels, gameroom, etc., just not so many at one time.
Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

I'm not really sure what AgentOS expects from an anime convention.

We have the masquerade contest, some video rooms, an AMV room, panels, workshops, video game room (which will be in the bar area, although last year was the first time, so I'm not sure why AgentOS said "usually"), table-top gaming, tournaments for both kinds of gaming, musical concert (this year by Move), a manga library, karaoke, sumo suit wrestling, art show and auction, artist alley, dealers room, autograph session, dance, game shows, and great deals of social interaction. Basically, everything any other convention has and then some.

I usually don't go to any convention-organized events at anime conventions. I might spend a couple minutes at the concert, or go to a panel with some friends, and I sometimes check out the art show, but most of the time I spend socializing. In fact, I usually just go to the art show to socialize with whoever's there (see a cute girl by herself, make a comment to her about some random piece of art, wander off a bit... usually works). A good convention to me is one where, at 1:00am Friday night, I am hanging out with people I didn't know previous to that weekend. Anime USA has a pretty busy schedule, but I find that the overly social environment allows me to accomplish this regardless.

But, if you do go for convention activities, Anime USA is a pretty good con to go to. There's also a good bit of non-convention activities, but they're not in the schedule.
Darxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #11
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

Last year's numbers were over 2300 attendees (number does not include staff, dealers, guests, etc).

This year we are expecting over 3000 attendees.
Darxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #12
JonnyStarwind
Your Neighborhood Outlaw

This will be my first Anime USA as well
Unread 10-24-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
adrawer4ever
King of Spain

05' will be my first AUSA...
adrawer4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #14
~X3Rikku
LIEUTENANT SHINY-SIDES!!

my first aUSA aswellllll!! :O its about 2 hrs from me.
Unread 10-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #15
Bagu
absolutely! umm..what?

This will be my first time to AUSA. I just got back from a hotel con (AWA in Atlanta) not too long ago so I'm going to compare. I'm a little bummed that Larissa Wolcott bailed, but I'm sure Caitlin Glass will be a good substitute.
Heh...do I really want to see Greg Ayres for the upteenth time?
Bagu is offline   Reply With Quote