Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #166
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soylatte View Post
i was trying to help my BF think of something for our party and he ended up going with a pumpkin headed scarecrow idea.
This makes me think of a Halloween story.

When my brother-in-law still lived at home, he and his two younger brothers carved the bottom out of a huge pumpkin and set it on their porch as the head of a stuffed scarecrow. It sat there for a couple of weeks, long enough for everyone in the neighborhood to get used to seeing it. On Halloween, my brother-in-law (who is a huge football player-type) put on the scarecrow's clothes, put the pumpkin over his head, and sat with a bowl of candy in his lap. He would sit very still as the kids came up for candy, and just as they reached for it, he would jerk to life and startle them. This worked particularly well with the teenagers who were "too old to be scared" -- they would laugh at the silly pumpkin-head as they came up to the porch, but run away screaming when it moved.

Well, partway through the evening, a car pulled up at the end of the street -- a group of mothers chaperoning their very young children through trick-or-treating. The kids toddled up to the houses while the mothers sat in the car, watching. This group of small children came up to the porch with the pumpkin-headed scarecrow, and as they reached for candy, the scarecrow jerked to life. The children, terrified, dropped the candy and ran screaming and crying from the porch, pelting toward their mothers as fast as they could.

My brother-in-law realized that the kids had left their candy, so he picked up the bowl and ran after them, calling, "Wait! Come back, you forgot your candy!"

By this point the screaming, sobbing kids had reached the car with their mothers, who realized something was wrong. They climbed out of the car just in time to see a six-and-a-half-foot-tall pumpkin-headed monster running after their children, roaring inarticulately: "Woaaaaght! Oooo horgoot ooooour kaaaaaaanneeee!"

The mothers were not amused. The kids did eventually get their candy, after much explaining, apology and reassurance... but I'm betting they gave scarecrows a wide berth for a looooong time after that.

Quote:
its very nostalgic too~ although i am older than many on this site..hehe
Well, so am I... ^_^

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #167
soylatte
capricorn sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAAntares View Post
This makes me think of a Halloween story.

When my brother-in-law still lived at home, he and his two younger brothers carved the bottom out of a huge pumpkin and set it on their porch as the head of a stuffed scarecrow. It sat there for a couple of weeks, long enough for everyone in the neighborhood to get used to seeing it. On Halloween, my brother-in-law (who is a huge football player-type) put on the scarecrow's clothes, put the pumpkin over his head, and sat with a bowl of candy in his lap. He would sit very still as the kids came up for candy, and just as they reached for it, he would jerk to life and startle them. This worked particularly well with the teenagers who were "too old to be scared" -- they would laugh at the silly pumpkin-head as they came up to the porch, but run away screaming when it moved.

Well, partway through the evening, a car pulled up at the end of the street -- a group of mothers chaperoning their very young children through trick-or-treating. The kids toddled up to the houses while the mothers sat in the car, watching. This group of small children came up to the porch with the pumpkin-headed scarecrow, and as they reached for candy, the scarecrow jerked to life. The children, terrified, dropped the candy and ran screaming and crying from the porch, pelting toward their mothers as fast as they could.

My brother-in-law realized that the kids had left their candy, so he picked up the bowl and ran after them, calling, "Wait! Come back, you forgot your candy!"

By this point the screaming, sobbing kids had reached the car with their mothers, who realized something was wrong. They climbed out of the car just in time to see a six-and-a-half-foot-tall pumpkin-headed monster running after their children, roaring inarticulately: "Woaaaaght! Oooo horgoot ooooour kaaaaaaanneeee!"

The mothers were not amused. The kids did eventually get their candy, after much explaining, apology and reassurance... but I'm betting they gave scarecrows a wide berth for a looooong time after that.

Well, so am I... ^_^
that's such a cute story! i smiled while reading it~
i definitely have to share this one with my BF. his voice sounds rather different inside the pumpkin head as well. it gives it kind of deep muffled echo so i completely relate especially to the "roaring" lol
soylatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 01:07 AM   #168
ElectraStarr
+Rhodes

We should start a "Never too old to cosplay" thread for us old-timers. I get so tired of having to defend the fact that yes I "still like to play dress up" and "watch cartoons."

As for Halloween, I'm thinking I'd really like to finish my Megara costume I've been working on FOREVER. I have all the fabric and the shoes even, but the fact that it's silk-y is making my sewing machine tremble I'm actually thinking of doing one of the new Disney Fairies, since I'm a big kid at heart. I love the little nasty one, Vidia. or Fira.... I made my own Tinkerbell way before she was popular again... It's best if those pics never reach the light of day

Conventions:

Leaky Con '12 // Midwestria '12 // Chicago TARDIS '12

Planned/In-Progress:
Femme!Four- Doctor Who - 80%
Blue Kang (Drinking Fountain)- Doctor Who - 10%

Eclectic Threads Cosplay

ElectraStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #169
Jax_Smith

Classic story on the halloween trick or treat. My friend also put up a coffine and had it open with a dummy. The person was really good at make up and did a dracula to be and laid down in it. Not quite as funny as running towards someone with you forgot your candy. But anyway, tis fun. I look forward to halloween, just wish I could get a group of people together to do something. But podunk town of Terre Haute doesnt offer much.

Next conventions: Acen 08, Gencon 08
Jax_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #170
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectraStarr View Post
We should start a "Never too old to cosplay" thread for us old-timers. I get so tired of having to defend the fact that yes I "still like to play dress up" and "watch cartoons."
If you start one, let me know; my sister and I will join in. Our secret password will be "fansub distro" -- if you can define that term and name three series you watched on fifth-generation VHS dub, you get to post in the thread. ^_^

I always feel a little decrepit when I'm talking with younger cosplayers, and I suddenly realize that I've been watching anime since before they were born... And I didn't really get into anime until I was in high school....

-_-;

"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
Unread 09-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #171
Jax_Smith

Quote:
If you start one, let me know; my sister and I will join in. Our secret password will be "fansub distro" -- if you can define that term and name three series you watched on fifth-generation VHS dub, you get to post in the thread. ^_^

I always feel a little decrepit when I'm talking with younger cosplayers, and I suddenly realize that I've been watching anime since before they were born... And I didn't really get into anime until I was in high school....

-_-;
I always think it is fun. But anyway... the good ole days when if you were lucky you got one that was dubed instead of subed. Somedays not so lucky on VHS. Plus when Evangelion was out and had to be ordered. Good ole days.

Let me know if you start one up, I think it would be fun. Though my little brother keeps pestering me since I dress up every so often. He says it is my sacrificing coat... and he wonders why I tease him so.

Unread 09-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #172
ElectraStarr
+Rhodes

Ask and ye shall receive!!

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...ferrerid=15777

Hope you don't mind I used your example AVAAntares

Speaking of examples, I actually used to stay up and wait for our Gary Indiana WPWR station to show anime at 3 am back in the day...

LOL.

Conventions:

Planned/In-Progress:

Eclectic Threads Cosplay

Unread 09-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #173
Shokora
O Tannenbaum...

Tee hee, I posted on that thread....now you will all know my deep, dark secret....my life outside of cosplaying, lol!!!
Fruits Basket: Hatori Sohma
Hetalia: WW2 Greatcoat Germany (manga)
Kuroshitsuji: Sebastian Michaelis
Shokora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #174
soylatte
capricorn sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokora View Post
Tee hee, I posted on that thread....now you will all know my deep, dark secret....my life outside of cosplaying, lol!!!
i posted on that thread too~ since there are older cosplayers, (especially in indiana it seems!) i'm wondering if there would be an interest for a more mature con or non-con related meet ups. not saying it needs to be drink like crazy octoberfest, but sometimes i like to eat at finer dining when i travel and younger people at cons seem to be in the cheap fast food mentality. i refuse to eat expensive food out alone!

shokora that was a really awesome post! i'm just an artist myself (so it doesn't seem as unusual for me to be into costumes and stuff?) but we all need to let down our hair sometimes, right?
Unread 09-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #175
ElectraStarr
+Rhodes

Thanks for posting guys! I didn't think people would get so riled up about it, but it seems people haven't had much luck with similar threads in the past. I didn't even know there were threads like that before and I searched for "older cosplayers" but didn't see anything recent (not that I'd even try revive an old thread without knowing it had been a problem, that would have been worse!) . I don't see the problem with saying your age and something about how long you've been cosplaying and then something about yourself as an older cosplayer... but ehhh... whatever. Now I remember why I lurk so much, it makes you not want to bother with forums sometimes.

As long as I have you guys I'll be okay though! I wish there were more chances to spend time with everyone outside of cons too, soylatte. I think the problems some of us have with cons are the same ones the organizers are having too. Keeping it from getting too out of hand is really the biggest complaint I have sometimes. I want to have fun too, but I can't help but worry about everyone who might not be being safe... you know? Stupid maternal instincts, and I don't even have kids! LOL

I had no idea we were so close in age, Shokora. LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one who still likes cosplaying HP students . I love my robes too much to give them up completely. Although, Bellatrix is super fun.

I think there should be more midwest anime cons (illinois/indiana/etc). In Illinois we only have Acen really, Reactor is not my cup of tea. Stupid weather though, makes it hard to have a lot. I'm kinda jealous you're in Florida, Shokora. They have quite a few, nice weather and you're close to DragonCon now !Not to mention my love of Disney. ::jealous!::

Conventions:

Planned/In-Progress:

Eclectic Threads Cosplay

Unread 09-30-2007, 12:31 AM   #176
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

I posted on the "Never Too Old" thread as well, but if the thread dies... oh, well. This site has a wide age spread, so we'll constantly be discovering people both older and younger than ourselves. Personally, I want to be Karisu-sama when I grow up...

Okay, while we're discussing age and con get-togethers, I'm going to creep out onto a very narrow (and off-topic) limb.

Please note that this question is NOT meant to cause offense in any way! I'm not implying anything disparaging against people who drink, but I'm curious, because I talked to someone today who raved on and on about how great a certain con was because of all the room parties and free beer (while I tend to rate cons more on things like programming and guests). Please take my question at face value, and don't read anything into it.

For those of you who are over 21 (or those who are under 21 but hang out with older friends): What do you do for adult-company entertainment that does NOT involve alcohol? Setting aside activities like clubbing, bar-hopping, tailgating, etc., what other entertainment interests do you all have?

If drinking is a major part of your entertainment, you can say so... I'm just wondering what people like to do. For example, soylatte mentioned dining at nicer restaurants, which is something I also enjoy. What else?

Unread 09-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #177
soylatte
capricorn sheep

Quote:
I posted on the "Never Too Old" thread as well, but if the thread dies... oh, well. This site has a wide age spread, so we'll constantly be discovering people both older and younger than ourselves. Personally, I want to be Karisu-sama when I grow up...

Okay, while we're discussing age and con get-togethers, I'm going to creep out onto a very narrow (and off-topic) limb.

Please note that this question is NOT meant to cause offense in any way! I'm not implying anything disparaging against people who drink, but I'm curious, because I talked to someone today who raved on and on about how great a certain con was because of all the room parties and free beer (while I tend to rate cons more on things like programming and guests). Please take my question at face value, and don't read anything into it.

For those of you who are over 21 (or those who are under 21 but hang out with older friends): What do you do for adult-company entertainment that does NOT involve alcohol? Setting aside activities like clubbing, bar-hopping, tailgating, etc., what other entertainment interests do you all have?

If drinking is a major part of your entertainment, you can say so... I'm just wondering what people like to do. For example, soylatte mentioned dining at nicer restaurants, which is something I also enjoy. What else?
actually it's interesting that you brought this up. i never developed a taste for alcohol myself and don't drink for the most part (unless it's disguised as some fruity drink with a cute umbrella ^_~) and my BF doesn't drink much either. most of his friends drink quite a bit (and do the whole tailgating bit) and we have to find a balance when we get together. Most of the things we do are pretty mundane, but we're a chatty couple so any activity + talking usually equals a good time.

eating- coffee/icecream/snack/dining/BBQ
games- cards,board games,videogames
movies/TV- theater,sit home, television (we had a weekly "Lost" night)
roaming- exploring, driving aimlessly, hiking, parks, flea/farmer/vintage markets
special event- cons, roadtrip (we have an interest in seeing certain historical places),museums,beach, fares ect

i used to live on the east coast and my favorite Otakon was one where we all went to the aquarium after the con. i think it was more fun then any of the convention actually. i'm finding the larger cons less and less appealing.
Unread 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #178
Jax_Smith

I find drinking to be a two way street. Most the time I dont drink and only do so as a 'night cap' and thats about it. The problem I have is I dont drink around people I dont trust so 99% of the time I dont drink so... *shrugs*

I was looking and found a small con that started last year but didnt have that good of attendance because it was snowed out. http://www.truthdetective.com/pokettokon/ is the website. They dont have pictures but I was looking at the possibility of it. I dont know just yet.

Btw, I will post here in a few minutes on the too old post. Pretty much hit the nail on the hammer's head.

Unread 09-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #179
Shokora
O Tannenbaum...

I was at Pokettokon last year, and yeah, the weather was bad...but it's super-small. Kinda cruised the entire con in a matter of 15 minutes. With that said, they were showing some good anime in one of their viewing rooms, so I bought some of the ONLY food that was available...Pocky and some fruity Japanese drink...and watched anime for a few hours. They did have a cosplay contest....and they took pictures, although I NEVER found them posted anywhere....so overall, I'd say....if you're near it, and you don't having anything else to do...or if you want an excuse to do some cosplaying...go for it. Just don't have high expectations. I hear they're changing some things, and with better weather, who knows....I guess I'm just so used to big cons that I was a bit taken aback...even though I knew it was just a small college-anime club-organized event. I was glad that I went
Fruits Basket: Hatori Sohma
Hetalia: WW2 Greatcoat Germany (manga)
Kuroshitsuji: Sebastian Michaelis
Shokora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #180
Jax_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokora View Post
I was at Pokettokon last year, and yeah, the weather was bad...but it's super-small. Kinda cruised the entire con in a matter of 15 minutes. With that said, they were showing some good anime in one of their viewing rooms, so I bought some of the ONLY food that was available...Pocky and some fruity Japanese drink...and watched anime for a few hours. They did have a cosplay contest....and they took pictures, although I NEVER found them posted anywhere....so overall, I'd say....if you're near it, and you don't having anything else to do...or if you want an excuse to do some cosplaying...go for it. Just don't have high expectations. I hear they're changing some things, and with better weather, who knows....I guess I'm just so used to big cons that I was a bit taken aback...even though I knew it was just a small college-anime club-organized event. I was glad that I went
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x40/pokettokon/2007/ there is the webpage for the pictures for it. Typically I research a con before I consider it though thanks for the input on it. I just go through con withdraw and need my fix every so often. The time from Gencon to Acen is quite awhile for me.