Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #76
My Name-a Borat
n00b

I'm going to GenCon! It'll be my first anime convention and I'm really excited!

Possible (Far) Future Cosplay
Haine Otomiya, The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross
Julia, Cowboy Bebop
Meroko, Full Moon Wo Sagashite

[/color][/font][/center][/size]
My Name-a Borat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #77
Jax_Smith

Congrads on going. Sweet! we really should meet at gencon if nothing else just to get a bunch of pics of different peeps from cosplay.com... but thats my thoughts. What do you guys think?
Jax_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #78
My Name-a Borat
n00b

I'll only be going on Saturday... so on August 18, look for the girl with big thighs in the Faye costume!

Julia, Cowboy Bebop

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #79
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name-a Borat View Post
I'm going to GenCon! It'll be my first anime convention and I'm really excited!
Maybe we'll see you there. I'm not sure which set of costumes we're entering... possibly our FMA group, or Gankutsuou as a backup. I'll keep my eyes open for Faye.

Congrats on the first con! However, don't expect other anime conventions to be like what you see at GenCon. GenCon is primarily a gaming convention, with a stronger focus on industry than most anime-specific cons. There will be a lot less anime-related material, a lot less of the "fandom unity" you get at a lot of anime conventions, and just a different tone overall. (Remember, you're going to be in a building with thousands of introverted geeks! I can say that only because a huge group of my geeky friends make the GenCon pilgrimage every year.) And there will be much, much, much less cosplay than you would see at an anime convention. You'll probably get stopped for pictures frequently because you're one of the small percentage in costume, as opposed to anime cons where nearly *everybody* wears some kind of costume, even if it's only neko-mimi or a Naruto headband.

But... that just means you'll have to go to lots of anime conventions so you have something to compare it to, right?

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #80
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie of Death View Post
"In my younger days, I may have considered it. But I'm not as spry as I used to be," says the wise ol' 23-year-old.
/snicker/ Right. I've got you beat by *** years, dearie, and there are four people in my cosplay group who are older than me. But I got a late start -- I didn't really get into cosplay as a sport until my senior year of college. Actually, I didn't feel that old until I realized that I've been watching anime since years before some of the cosplayers here were born...

This is where it got scary: The other day, my sister and I were discussing a favorite episode of Darkwing Duck (the vampire potato, if anyone remembers it), and realized with horror that the youngest member of our cosplay group (FallingRain) was not born until the year after that episode aired. My sister was in high school when she watched Darkwing Duck. FallingRain is now taking Driver's Ed.

Ah, nostalgia... Now I'm curious: How many people here remember mailing checks to fansub distros? How many imported fourth-generation black and white PAL-converted-to-NTSC tapes by way of Canada because there was no other way to see the non-DiC version of Sailormoon?

Dadgummit! Today's otaku whippersnappers are spoiled by licensing and domestic DVD releases. Yessiree, back in my day, we had to hike through four feet of snow to the mailbox to get our anime. Year round. Uphill, both ways. In our bare feet...

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #81
Jax_Smith

Sounds like fun, I will look for you and keep a camera ready. Myself going to be the xigbar again so look for someone dressed in head to toe in leather.
Jax_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #82
My Name-a Borat
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAAntares View Post
Maybe we'll see you there. I'm not sure which set of costumes we're entering... possibly our FMA group, or Gankutsuou as a backup. I'll keep my eyes open for Faye.

Congrats on the first con! However, don't expect other anime conventions to be like what you see at GenCon. GenCon is primarily a gaming convention, with a stronger focus on industry than most anime-specific cons. There will be a lot less anime-related material, a lot less of the "fandom unity" you get at a lot of anime conventions, and just a different tone overall. (Remember, you're going to be in a building with thousands of introverted geeks! I can say that only because a huge group of my geeky friends make the GenCon pilgrimage every year.) And there will be much, much, much less cosplay than you would see at an anime convention. You'll probably get stopped for pictures frequently because you're one of the small percentage in costume, as opposed to anime cons where nearly *everybody* wears some kind of costume, even if it's only neko-mimi or a Naruto headband.

But... that just means you'll have to go to lots of anime conventions so you have something to compare it to, right?

Yeah, I knew that GenCon is primarily is a gaming convention with little cosplay, but seeing as though I still live under my parents' roof and can't attend Ikasucon, this is the best I can get until I go off to college.
And my friends and I figured that if we were one of the few cosplaying, we'd get stopped for pictures. Either that or given dirty looks or be pointed at.

Julia, Cowboy Bebop

Unread 06-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #83
Gwydion
Cardboard is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummonerYuna View Post
I live in an area near Valparaiso. Anyone near me?
A friend of mine wants me to live in Valparaiso with her so we can split the cost of rent, but it will depend on where I find a job. Currently in Anderson, though.

I wish I could go to Ikasucon or Gencon, but I get the feeling ACen was my last con until next year. I'd like to find a job and get settled into it a bit first, not to mention my sister is getting married in July and I can't go without my cosplay partner! Ah well, I'll just have to work on costumes in the meantime and enjoy other people's pictures.
Prince Alexander, King's Quest VI - 75% done
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #84
random_person
Retareded_Cosplayer

lol i think i'll bring this thread back to life lol

i dunno if i can go to any cons this year D:

PM me if you want one

Cons:
Ikasucon (Fort Wayne, IN) - August 10th-12th, 2007
random_person is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #85
Shokora
O Tannenbaum...

Woot, GenCon is almost here!!!!!!!!! How are those costumes coming along? I think meeting up would be fun...but trying to schedule it might be a bear...for those of you that want to meet....are any of you going to be in the costume contest? If so, maybe we could meet at the costume contest registration/checkin area on Saturday, since we all have to check in anyway (if you're in the contest, that is..)......
Fruits Basket: Hatori Sohma
Hetalia: WW2 Greatcoat Germany (manga)
Kuroshitsuji: Sebastian Michaelis
Shokora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #86
Inaere

Oh wow.
I didn't know there were quite a few people from Indiana on cosplay.com. xD;

I'm going to Ikasucon! x] I'm excited.
Inaere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #87
Selurnis

I live in Columbus, IN. It's about 3 hours from Fort Wayne, but that's still a shorter drive than other cons around here so I'll be going to Ikasucon. XD
Selurnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #88
Shinteetah
Behavior Analyst. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAAntares View Post
Dadgummit! Today's otaku whippersnappers are spoiled by licensing and domestic DVD releases. Yessiree, back in my day, we had to hike through four feet of snow to the mailbox to get our anime. Year round. Uphill, both ways. In our bare feet...
Eh? What's that you say, young'un? I be exactly twice the age of the youngest member of our cosplay group...!

Cosplay keeps you young. ;-) I was told lately that I was a gorgeous old person. I think that's a good thing, right? especially since I was told in the same breath that I do a really good 15-year-old boy. /laugh/

Looking forward to seeing people at Ikasucon and GenCon!

"...And Sewing Is Half the Battle!" -- photos & tutorials

"Cosplay is good skills for ninja." -- actual quote from my taijutsu sensei!

God is no fonder of intellectual slackers than of any other slackers.... Anyone who is honestly trying to be a Christian will soon find his intelligence being sharpened.
-- C. S. Lewis
Shinteetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #89
Shinteetah
Behavior Analyst. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokora View Post
Woot, GenCon is almost here!!!!!!!!! How are those costumes coming along? I think meeting up would be fun...but trying to schedule it might be a bear...for those of you that want to meet....are any of you going to be in the costume contest? If so, maybe we could meet at the costume contest registration/checkin area on Saturday, since we all have to check in anyway (if you're in the contest, that is..)......
That works. We'll be competing, I hope. How many of us will be there?

"...And Sewing Is Half the Battle!" -- photos & tutorials

"Cosplay is good skills for ninja." -- actual quote from my taijutsu sensei!

God is no fonder of intellectual slackers than of any other slackers.... Anyone who is honestly trying to be a Christian will soon find his intelligence being sharpened.
-- C. S. Lewis
Shinteetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #90
random_person
Retareded_Cosplayer

i'm going to Ikasucon yay first con ever! i'm not going to cosplay... i'm going to be there saturday may wear bright as He|| yellow first nets for my arms

PM me if you want one

Cons:
Ikasucon (Fort Wayne, IN) - August 10th-12th, 2007
random_person is offline   Reply With Quote