Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #151
Oselle
Froufaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumori
You don't have to be "hardcore" to get full enjoyment out of a Costume-Con.
I concur wholeheartedly...I meant only that I feel I would need to be far more dedicated to the craft in order to have my work be noticed. But it is because of those personal limitations that costumecon is so exciting/appealing - so much potential!

Unread 09-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #152
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

Wow next year's costume-con is in DSM iowa! awsome (like 2 hrs from me)
Unknowbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #153
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
I like how the judges are more generous with their time at science fiction and fantasy masquerades, but wow, 2 hours - that's really generous!
Well, the HIstorical is structured differently. It's very demanding on the judges, because it may take them 2 days to see all the contestants. They have to read the documentation, then visit the costumer (some cons, the costumers come to them, but that's a bit more stressful), then examine the outfits and ask questions. One entrant will typically take anywehre from 15- 20 minutes. Then they acutally watch you during the show.

Workmanship judges can take as long at an SF con, depeding on how much stuff you have to show them, but that's more unusual.
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #154
KTDE

Professional costumers have to compete in the Master division at Worldcon? Does that just include costumers or people from other fields who just got into costuming? What makes a professional? Our costumes are 80% fabric paint, but the person doing the fabric paint for our group does painting for a living and we have a guy who does blacksmith work for Williamsburg. Does this mean we have to compete against professionals?

Last edited by KTDE : 09-08-2005 at 10:32 PM.
KTDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #155
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

Coming to CC24

Yeah, there's something for everyone. Nobody should get hung up on how much experience you think you have to have or what level you would compete at in order to get respect. The regulars are just pleased to see new faces! Honestly, attendance had declined at CC over the last several years, reflecting a trend nationally for SF masquerades. Now that the anime costumers who are coming to the general SF cons, we're starting to get another influx in the competitions. That's very cool.

It's been said that if we can just get 10% of you guys to come to a CC, that would be a huge influx of new talent. And that's what we're hoping for. In any case, if you're coming to CC24, you gotta look us up.

And the SLUTs are neck and neck with the Sick Pups for having the most fun! (WE have the most fun name, though! )
Unread 09-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #156
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTDE
Professional costumers have to compete in the Master division at Worldcon? Does that just include costumers or people from other fields who just got into costuming? What makes a professional? Our costumes are 80% fabric paint, but the person doing the fabric paint for our group does painting for a living and we have a guy who does blacksmith work for Williamsburg. Does this mean we have to compete against professionals?
I believe that usually, a professional is considered someone who makes costumes or armor (the type of thing that they'd be showing in the competition) specifically to sell to others.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #157
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
I believe that usually, a professional is considered someone who makes costumes or armor (the type of thing that they'd be showing in the competition) specifically to sell to others.

In the guidelines it's not very specific. Some conventions define it based on what precentage of your income is made in costuming or related fields, however as Karisu-sama pointed out earlier in the thread, that can really muck up the 14 year old who gets nothing but milk money from commissions to thier 14 year old friends. Generally if you're not sure it's good form to approach the masquerade director and ask.

I have friends who have jobs that make them considered proffessionals and therefore compete as masters. I.e.
  • a Prop and Weapon designer for a television series,
  • an artisan who makes leather goods and sells them all summer at Renfest and at craft and clothing shows throughout the year,
  • a costumer who makes mascotts at a professional mascotting company.
  • the owner and head designer for a dancewear company
Once again, it's all subject to interpretation, but it's generally an honour system, and I find that most people are honest and fair in thier self assesment and placement.

Cheers!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #158
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal

Once again, it's all subject to interpretation, but it's generally an honour system, and I find that most people are honest and fair in thier self assesment and placement.
Honestly, I can't imagine why a professional (let's keep using the example of Kropserkel or someone in a similar position, as opposed to someone like Karisu's teenage daughter) would *want* to compete in a division other than Master. The honor system does work very well for the most part; sandbagging for the sake of awards doesn't really seem like much fun, and most Master-level costumers I know don't really care about how many ribbons they rack up, so there's really very little incentive for competing "down."

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #159
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Honestly, I can't imagine why a professional (let's keep using the example of Kropserkel or someone in a similar position, as opposed to someone like Karisu's teenage daughter) would *want* to compete in a division other than Master.
Maybe the entrant has never been to a competition before, or the rules are unclear or confusing. Maybe they don't even understand "sandbagging." I'm sure most people are not being malicious. They just don't know or understand.

We would like to think knowledgeable and experienced people would not do things that might be strange, but it does happen.

As an example, I know a mainframe programmer, but he doesn't know nearly as much about a home computer. The guy is a programmer, so you would think he would have a better understanding of computers, but this is not the case.

Education is always needed, I'm afraid.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #160
KTDE

Little John has sold suits for renactment for $5000 dollars each, but it doesn't sound like that'd make him pro cos he doesn't sell them regularly.

Last edited by KTDE : 09-09-2005 at 03:30 PM.
KTDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #161
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

You should ask the Masquerade Director at the con your group is going to about how professional is defined. There is no standard definition about "professional."

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 10:43 PM   #162
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

Yo.
Unread 09-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #163
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Sorry to ask on a semi-personal topic, but I'm curious.

Saeto, you're asking for assessment of your skills for upcoming costume con... how are you going to do that exactly? The idea I have in my head is that you'll show and explain past work, then show an image of what you want to do, along with construction ideas, and see if the skill levels are similar or the new one is a little bit more of a challenge.

Is that the right idea?

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #164
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

More ICG Guidelines talk broke out HERE on a thread started by Nicepants with the subject of: "Cosplay Social Commentary & competitions"

He suggested we take it elsewhere so I'm refering it back here.

Cheers~!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #165
jeff_morris

Quick comments here, as Bruce took care of most everything.

I know that Peggy Kennedy would be thrilled beyond measure to know that people are still using her book as a reference. Cat Devereaux hopes to have it up as a .pdf websource sometime next year when time permits.

The conventions listed on the ICG website are not "ICG sanctioned". They are more the webguy saying, "These conventions have masquerades. I think I'll list them here so if someone's interested they can get more information." Webguy is always interested in adding to the list, by the way.

This has been a fascinating topic.

JSM
jeff_morris is offline   Reply With Quote