Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Archives > Onna!

Unread 08-22-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
Misty Eyes
wanna adopt a cosplayer?

First convention. Got advice?

hi i'm new to cosplaying and i'm still currently working on my first cosplay ever. onnafest will be the first convention i go to and i'm really nervous about it. i don't know what really goes on at con's besides taking pictures. and also i don't really know anyone. does everyone just know eachother or something? lol i probably sound stupid but bare with me. i'd really like to meet some people on this site and at the con since i don't know people who cosplay.

oh yeah, i'll be going as asuka kazama (alternate costume) from tekken 5.

thanks for reading this. i look forward to meeting you guys! (lol hopefully)

Last edited by Misty Eyes : 08-22-2005 at 01:10 AM.

Unread 08-22-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
Marsha Mellow

First of all... welcome to cosplay world! It's fun as long as it doesn't get obsessive.
Here is my list of 10 things to know and do at cons...

1. You will be nauseatingly nervous until you get to the con and see all the fabulous people cosplaying like you, or people admiring you for your costume. It will be weird the first hour, but then you'll get over it and start loving the attention (hopefully).
2. At cons, you buy stuff at the exhibit hall (cute shirts and key chains), go to panels (like "learn all about voice acting", weird facts from a famous anime), take pictures, watch anime and don't forget to stop and take a breather every once in a while!
3. Make sure to take snaks and water to refuel! My friends and I could go an entire day without eating unless we remind eachother to do so. We are busy cosplayers! and food at conventions is really expensive... and UNHEALTHY. Take protein bars and water. Refuel right.
4. If you're cosplaying alone, be sure talk to another cosplayer, compliment another cosplayer's costume and/or take pictures with another cosplayer so you can exchange pictures later. Be sure to find out if they're members of cosplay.com to feel like you belong... besides, you'll be promoting this great site that we all love.
5. If professional photogs take pics of you (they will be the guys with fancy cameras), be sure to ask for their business card or where the picture will end up so you can find it on-line later... or so they can e-mail it to you.
6. Don't be shy.
7. Flirt with un-perverted looking guys. It's fun making them nervous if you look hot in your costume.
8. Beware of stalkers and glompers (people that randomly attack you with cosplay admiration/love/body impact).
9. Make sure to look at the con schedual and make a plan of what you want to do that day. If you don't do this, you'll be lost and waste an antire day trying to figure out what to do.
10. Most importantly... HAVE FUN! and be FABULOUS!
Unread 08-22-2005, 01:29 AM   #3
KSquared

Hey duckling, welcome and ::hugs:: luck to you!
My first con was Shoujocon '03, so I know how you feel about everyone seeming to knw each other. Once I got there ther were all these people who knew each other and had better costumes and knew about more anime than I had heard of and I couldn't afford the dealers' room stuff I wanted- gah!
You don't have to cosplay, first off, but you can, and that you enjoy running around a hotel in really odd getups is kinda crucial. Don't bug out and enter every contest on your first try or burn your wig in the bathroom- the staff gets all frowny about that it seems- just rock out being odd.
Not everyone knows each other- unless they came with each other or are veterans of that con, most people just met online before hand or at the con, or maybe the year or two before., but this is the only time they get together. Most everyone at a con is intelligent and creative, just because of the necessities to get off one's pocky-fueled rear and go to a con. Shoujocon in particular, as a small and focused con, is very friendly and intimate. I don't know about Yuricon from first hand experience, but I've heard only good things and expect most people at Onna will be very glad to take you in with glomps and squeals.
Aside from taking pictures, one of the great things about ploping down all that money to get into te con is the programming. A sampling: I saw all of Gravitation in one sitting, experienced many music videos, had ice cream, made friends, faux-rallied in support of yaoi & yuri, won cutest PJs [I wasn't aware I was in hte running], learned about half a dozen animanga I'm now into, put up two of my original artworks for sale, tried 3 new flavours of pockey, chillled out and tried to read Korean, bought a stuffed Kero-chan and, yeah, had my picture taken by a random dude old enough to be my dad.

I really hope that helps, luv. PM me if you've more specific questions.
Unread 08-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
Misty Eyes
wanna adopt a cosplayer?

wow thanks for the great advice guys. i was expecting maybe a few sentences but you guys really nailed it down into the core. i feel a lot less nervous about the con now. =)

marsha mellow are you going to onnafest as well? if you are i hope you wear your chun-li costume, i'd love to take pictures with you.

ksquared once you put some pics up maybe i'll recognize you at the con (or vice versa)
Unread 08-24-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
kimiko637
When you cry, I cry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Eyes
hi i'm new to cosplaying and i'm still currently working on my first cosplay ever. onnafest will be the first convention i go to and i'm really nervous about it. i don't know what really goes on at con's besides taking pictures. and also i don't really know anyone. does everyone just know eachother or something? lol i probably sound stupid but bare with me. i'd really like to meet some people on this site and at the con since i don't know people who cosplay.

oh yeah, i'll be going as asuka kazama (alternate costume) from tekken 5.

thanks for reading this. i look forward to meeting you guys! (lol hopefully)
Hi! I'm planning on going to Onnafest Oct. 8th, and maybe the 9th. I'll be going as Light CHii and still debating whether to bring another outfit, not sure yet. I'll be going with my younger sister and my soon to be 15 month old baby girl And maybe the Hubby will tag along too who knows LOL. But I just wanted to tell you I know how you feel, Onnafest will be my 3rd Con. I remember the first one i went to, i was so nervous and excited, but didn't cosplay instead took tons of pixs of people who did.

I know what you mean by it seems as if everyone there knows eachother. This time around, i'm trying to meet up with cosplayers from here who are planning to be there also I hope to see you there If anything here's my AIM SN: kimikoxbabyangel
Unread 09-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #6
Jes
Banned

My only Advice, HAVE FUN! :>
Unread 09-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
marsie
Busty MacHumps

Word of advice: Don't Worry!

Onna! is going to be a small con and therefore great to break into Cons with. ShoujoCon and YuriCon have really great rapport and we seem to have some great events ready for you all.

I look forward to seeing you all there. I'll be at the Registration table. So feel free to wave and say Yo.

Beth G
Ohayocon Board of Directors

Senior Director of Operations
Unread 09-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Or you can just drop kick Marsie like I plan on doing...er...not doing....Hi Marz!! LOL.

Seeing how I'm the king of the NYC/NY con scene (self-appointed, although Marsie will vouch for me), here's sum REAL con facts you really need.

1) Anything with the letters C.o.P. attached to it is unsually bad for your health.
2) If you want to make a friend real quick and easy, look for Neoangelwink. She's cute, squishey and makes high amusing sounds. Just tell her you saw some of her costumes on Cosplay.com and you're set.
3) Always listen to Starwind824. But never trust me.
4) THERE IS NO FOUR.
5) Despite how odd it may seem, it's always safer to be with a male crossplayer, than a male who cosplays a Yaoi character.
6) Go the masquerade. I know who's judging, as well as of few acts already, so it would be worth your time.
7)Sleeping,eating and bathing are all important. Make sure you do all 3.
8) If you want to make a lot of friends real quick, seek out myself or DJ Ranma (but don't trust me), and ask about NYO! Cosplay or Otaku Army.
9) Never refer to "Cardcaptor Sakura" as "Cardcaptors". Believe me, it's a big mistake.
10) Any smut you find in the dealer's room can be found on the internet for a cheaper price. Like free.
11) Expect to be like the only Tekken cosplayer there. LOL. I love the game and all, but in the 13+ plus cons I've been too, I've only seen like 4 of you. In total.

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
Unread 09-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
marsie
Busty MacHumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824
Or you can just drop kick Marsie like I plan on doing...er...not doing....Hi Marz!! LOL.

Seeing how I'm the king of the NYC/NY con scene (self-appointed, although Marsie will vouch for me), here's sum REAL con facts you really need.

1) Anything with the letters C.o.P. attached to it is unsually bad for your health.
2) If you want to make a friend real quick and easy, look for Neoangelwink. She's cute, squishey and makes high amusing sounds. Just tell her you saw some of her costumes on Cosplay.com and you're set.
3) Always listen to Starwind824. But never trust me.
4) THERE IS NO FOUR.
5) Despite how odd it may seem, it's always safer to be with a male crossplayer, than a male who cosplays a Yaoi character.
6) Go the masquerade. I know who's judging, as well as of few acts already, so it would be worth your time.
7)Sleeping,eating and bathing are all important. Make sure you do all 3.
8) If you want to make a lot of friends real quick, seek out myself or DJ Ranma (but don't trust me), and ask about NYO! Cosplay or Otaku Army.
9) Never refer to "Cardcaptor Sakura" as "Cardcaptors". Believe me, it's a big mistake.
10) Any smut you find in the dealer's room can be found on the internet for a cheaper price. Like free.
11) Expect to be like the only Tekken cosplayer there. LOL. I love the game and all, but in the 13+ plus cons I've been too, I've only seen like 4 of you. In total.

Carrie does make some interesting sounds. Can we squeeze her for free or do we have to give you a fee or something, and will this be a game at the con?

I also want to stress the importance of number 7

Bathing = happy Marsie
I WILL Febreeze you if you smell.

Beth G
Ohayocon Board of Directors

Senior Director of Operations
Unread 09-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #10
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsie
Carrie does make some interesting sounds. Can we squeeze her for free or do we have to give you a fee or something, and will this be a game at the con?

I also want to stress the importance of number 7

Bathing = happy Marsie
I WILL Febreeze you if you smell.

DAMMIT I should con. I'd totally make more money on making Carrie make cute noises than hats.

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
Unread 09-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #11
BotMan

coool!!!..she sound super nice and stuff..well ummmmm see your at the con!!!!=DDDD ohh hats?? where?? where HATS???
Unread 09-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Don't forget to eat, or bring ramen.

Shinigami Photos
Unread 09-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
Misty Eyes
wanna adopt a cosplayer?

hahahaha you guys are hilarious! lol i can't wait to see all of you there. hmm i understand that there barely any tekken cosplayers at all and it is a bit discouraging now that i stop to think about it. ahh oh well! i'm in progress of making an original "Thief Rinoa". should i go as that instead?

what about my stuff? i'm only going for one day so i don't need to stay at a hotel. but where do i leave my essentials (wallet and stuff) should i just carry it around all day in a small purse or something? what do you guys normally do?

lol botman we gotta post some pictures soon otherwise nobody will know it's us. =D

thanks guys for being really supportive and being so kind to me. can't wait for onna!
Unread 09-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #14
Misty Eyes
wanna adopt a cosplayer?

hahaha you guys are right, i have seen neoangelwink's costumes before. oh and starwind824. the baaf from 2003, i know the selphie personally who you took pictures with! who are you guys all going as so i know who to look for
Unread 09-05-2005, 10:36 PM   #15
kimiko637
When you cry, I cry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Eyes
hahaha you guys are right, i have seen neoangelwink's costumes before. oh and starwind824. the baaf from 2003, i know the selphie personally who you took pictures with! who are you guys all going as so i know who to look for
Hey Sheena... I'll be dressing up baby Sakura (Bubbles) as Kotoko from Chobits. And as for myself going as Light CHii, i might wear the white dress, or i might just improvise and dress up as Chii wearing a gothic lolita outfit. I'll be sure to show you pixs of the outfits later.

And speaking of meeting up at the Con, i'll e-mail you later or catch you online

And i can't wait to see/meet everyone else!!!