Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 01-27-2003, 09:40 AM   #1
Babylon
Mother Of Harlots

Thumbs up Drunken DDR

I ever so recently got interested in DDR from hearing you all talk about it. So Friday night I decided to grab DDRMAX and some cheapo pad. Played it for a couple hours Friday night, tired my fat ass out and had a hell of a good time doing so.

Anyway, the first thing I noticed was all the warnings about not playing DDR while intoxicated. So what did I do? Invited friends over Saturday night, got a boatload of adult beverages, and DDRed the night away. (Warning labels put ideas into your head - they should be outlawed)

As much fun as it is sober, it's doubly so while dancing under the influence. I almost puked twice. We started using it to play drinking games after about an hour (i.e. the two lowest scores in a game mode 3 song competition chugged a drink). Watching your drunk ass friends slipping around on the pad is priceless. And actually I was able to clear all the difficulty 2 songs (on light mode) after chugging all that sake and vanilla rum. Prior to that I was still doing the level 1's.

Anyway, all you kiddies under 21 - Don't drink and DDR!

Everyone else - Try it some time if you haven't already. Just throw some padding around the mat or make sure your friends won't sue you.

Anyone have any good stories?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #2
MikigamiTokiya

XD lol I don't think anyone can really top that. Not too much you can do besides dance..... unless you dance nekkid @_@;;
Unread 01-27-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
Babylon
Mother Of Harlots

Quote:
Originally posted by MikigamiTokiya
XD lol I don't think anyone can really top that. Not too much you can do besides dance..... unless you dance nekkid @_@;;
Trying to get my wife to do that... Not happening just yet.

-Babylon
Unread 01-27-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
MikigamiTokiya

Quote:
Originally posted by Babylon
Trying to get my wife to do that... Not happening just yet.

-Babylon
heh keyword yet lol, guys are usually all for taking their clothes off but i'm sure you don't want them hopping around your living room in their birthday suits
Unread 01-27-2003, 10:17 AM   #5
Celine
Remember me?

Sometimes I think that drinking *helps* with DDR. Sure, it supposedly slows your reaction time and stuff... but if you drink just a little, it'll make you more relaxed and less likely to blink while DDRing. The first time I ever beat Paranoia Dirty & Clean on trick was after I'd had a drink or two. And my weird friends like to have marathons of DDR when they drink. There are all sorts of silly drinking games to play with DDR. People start getting really bad after a while and it's quite entertaining to watch. One fantastic time, we DDRed for about 3 hours, stopped because everyone was tired, played some other game, and then at 3am, decided to DDR again. Why? I will never understand.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2003, 10:31 AM   #6
Babylon
Mother Of Harlots

Quote:
Originally posted by Celine
Sometimes I think that drinking *helps* with DDR. Sure, it supposedly slows your reaction time and stuff... but if you drink just a little, it'll make you more relaxed and less likely to blink while DDRing.
Well, as trashed as I was I just didn't notice myself getting tired so I was bouncing around at high speed. Then the song was over, I stopped, and almost passed out. I don't have any idea how I'm going to clear these harder songs. Practice I guess...

I'm loving this game though. When I was in Japan this past October I went into a few of the arcades that are like wall to wall DDR machines. Those guys were just flipping me out with the tricks they were doing. All I got to do was piss off a couple of locals by totally screwing up on the Guitar Freaks machine while they were trying to play on the connected drum and maracca machines.

These drunken DDR nights are going to have to become a tradition though. I may go so far as to buy a cover for the dance pad and grease it up with crisco, much to the horror of my drunk buddies.

-Babylon
Unread 01-27-2003, 03:57 PM   #7
Lynzie
i'm back!

Can't say I know anything about playing DDR drunk, but yes, the only way you'll get better is to practice. I never had any trouble with level ones and twos, but that's because I spent a lot of time in the arcade room at AX 2002 and watched other people play, imitating their steps. And they were playing real hard songs, so I got over the "OMG WTF" stage fast. ^^; I'm playing medium trick/easy maniac stuff right now. Personally I prefer Dance Maniax. <3
Unread 01-27-2003, 06:00 PM   #8
Sami
» star*stealing girl

LOL watch out for sprained ankles.. @___@;;;
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 05:36 PM   #9
Erilan
Hi. I'm Eric from Canada.

Drinking makes me EXTREMELY hyper. Therefore, my feet and legs move faster. I've only DDR'd under the influence once... and damn was it ever fun!
Erilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 08:03 PM   #10
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

Re: Drunken DDR

Quote:
Originally posted by Babylon
Anyway, all you kiddies under 21 - Don't drink and DDR!
Too late!!!^___^

as much as i suck at DDR sober
i'm amazed i'm still alive after some of the nights me and my friends have had together with that game

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 11:45 PM   #11
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

As crude as this sounds, I always wanted to try DDRing while slightly intoxicated... *Thinks* I'll have to wait until I'm 21, though, huh?

Anyway, it always comes up on my mind -- what are some other games you can incorporate with DDR? Remember that Gladiator show where two opponents would try to knock each other off their pedestal with giant Q-tips? You could try doing that on two-player mode, or taking off an article of clothing whenever you lose a game, or... Ah, I gots'ta think of more, ay?
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 12:10 AM   #12
ShiNdeMoLi

Drunken DDR sounds like fun...its to bad I'm allergic to alcohol. I can't even drink enough to get drunk before get sick ;_; Up side is i never have to worry about getting addicted to it.

Last edited by ShiNdeMoLi : 01-30-2003 at 12:58 AM.
ShiNdeMoLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 12:19 AM   #13
Viral Harvest
Diabolically Jaded

lmao, I can't help but laugh at this thread, and I gotta agree, warning labels sure as hell make you want to do exactly what the label tells you NOT to do.

One of my smarter friends got the brilliant idea to ignite a spray paint can in the middle of the road when the can clearly states "Extremely Flammable!!! Contents Under Pressure, DO NOT puncture can or store in areas above 128 degrees!!!"

Guess what he does? Yup. You guessed it without even saying it. So imagine a fierce blaze towering at over 6 feet in the air in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. Water wouldn't put it out so one of us just kicked it and it went out. Luckily no one saw what happened O_o;;

But more importantly, DDR-ing While Intoxicated (DDRWI) is a serious offense and will cause you to be jailed for 1-2 years and your video games will be taken from your household

Viral Out.
Viral Harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #14
MegaPlayboy-kun
Got Rice?

My friends and I call it DDR-WI also.... We play DDR-WI just about every 2 weeks... Even though we never drink to get completely wasted.. there have been times that we played, unable to stand for 10 seconds.. I can play DDR-WI on maniac and get A/B ratings.. but then usually someone's legs buckles from under him and we all fall to the floor laughing!!

Look for Akira at Katsucon and inquire about DDR-WI in the hotel!!
MegaPlayboy-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 09:16 AM   #15
Menchi
Tee hee <3

the warning signs do make it more fun ihave to admit. i did that at the last party as did half my friends...one of em puked (but he way over did the booze), the others sat there an luaghed while ppl like me tried and failed lots of songs *shrugs*. buuut the odd thing is drinking alot did make it so i can do 8th arrows alot better after that...odd.
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote