Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hellsing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-23-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Hellsing manga/anime/ova costumes

I figured there needed to be a thread like this up somewhere, and I did a relatively quick search and didn't find one, so I'll start this one.

I need advice on a Schrodinger costume..just any kind of advice anyone has. Schrodinger will be my first Hellsing cosplay and I don't want to mess it up. (I'm also planning a Pip Bernadette cosplay too, but not as soon as I'd like to cosplay Schrodinger)
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
Silvana_Girl
t h e [DARKLINGthrush]

What do you need tips on? I'll be happy to help. Nay problem spots your worried about? I'm a big Hellsing cosplayer!

Queen Esther [Trinity Blood] // Amy Pond [ToA/FaS and THE/CB - Doctor Who] // Femme!Eleven [Doctor Who] // Mariela White [ Steampunk]

Silvana_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
KomoriChu
~Neopet Fursuiter~

My sis was going to start working on a Schrodinger costume soon. :3 He is a really cool chara...

But anyway, I think it would be a really good idea to do some research into the uniforms of the Hitler Youth. Schrodinger's outfit is actually quite historically accurate, so one would imagine the colors would be the same as a real Nazi outfit as well. (Keep in mind the Youth uniforms and armbands were different from the SS uniforms or the Gestapo). Also, take extra care when making his ears. They have that longer, hairier point than the average anime animal ears, so try to use some faux fur with a longer pile than normal.

Try and find some fake fangs. I think all Hellsing cosplayers NEED the fangs. (unless, of course, they're playing a non vamp/were chara... :P But I digress.)

Oooh, and be VERY cautious when wearing that outfit to and from a con. Keep in mind, the general public is still very sensitive when it comes to Nazis, and they probably wouldn't understand the concept of cosplaying a character from an anime to justify the swastika. If you're going to be walking from your hotel to the con, make the armband removable so you can take it off in public. It's just for a precaution, so you don't get jumped or beat up. o__o
Unread 08-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

actually, I was think of just leaving the armband blank, because the swastika is such a sensitive thing with people. Getting jumped would NOT be fun. I know that the swastika in its original form is actually a Bhuddist thing, I think, but whatever. I'll be leaving the armband blank. It's worth sacrificing a bit of accuracy for cultural sensitivity. I know that's a big issue amongst anyone who cosplays Hellsing.

With Halloween coming up, fake fangs should be easy to find.

Thanks for your help. I'm actually just getting into Hellsing, but Schrodinger cosplayers kept catching my attention at Otakon. I figured it was an excuse to get into Hellsing...^.^

And this thread can be for anyone who has got questions about Hellsing cosplay. I didn't see an overall costume help thread for Hellsing like I did for say, InuYasha or FF.
Unread 08-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Silvana_Girl
t h e [DARKLINGthrush]

Very good advice. DO NOT WEAR ARMBAND IN PUBLIC. I've learned this lesson. Unfortunately.

It is a fun costume to do though, it involves a lot of leather work, so it's a good costume if you want to learn some new things. If you don't want to use faux fur for the ears, you can always go with felt, or cover a felt peice with the fur. The felt I found was easier to cut, and gives youa very 'animated' sort of look to the ears.

You may be able to find a historical costume pattern that looks very simalar to a military uniform of that time, look in JoAnn's or something of that sort. You can also use this pattern, which I have found very helpful in Hellsing cosplay. It's incredibly easy to sew and does wonders on military shirts:

Simplicity: Easy-To-Sew

http://simplicity.com/index.cfm?page... OKEN=27173414

Queen Esther [Trinity Blood] // Amy Pond [ToA/FaS and THE/CB - Doctor Who] // Femme!Eleven [Doctor Who] // Mariela White [ Steampunk]

Silvana_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Thank you, Silvanagirl! That will surely help me to no end. As for the felt with the ears; I think I'll have to do that, so I don't waste fur because, well, even faux fur is expensive at Jo Ann's. but felt's nice and cheap.

I'm trying to make my Schrodinger costume as good as it can possibly be, which is why I'm asking for any advice that anyone has to make it good.
Unread 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM   #7
Rip Van Winkle
Rip the Hunter

$3 for a rectangle of fake fur isn't that expensive. You can get rabbit pelts for less than that.

Anyway though. For the sake of accuracy, if you're going to cosplay Schrodinger, cosplay Schrodinger entirely. Don't take out the swastika just because 4 or 5 people at a whole con are going to be offended and tell you. A trick you could use is to make the back of the swastika velcro, that way you can just take it off if you want to go out someplace beyond the confines of the convention.

Also...I've noticed a lot of Schro cosplayers can't be bothered doing anything with their hair. Well, if you're going to cosplay Schrodinger, again, do the whole costume, including getting a wig if your own hair looks nothing like his. Makes it easier to attach the ears, too (Armature wire.) Cosplaying with a fellow Millennium member is also fun and takes the stigma off of the swastika a bit. People won't be so skeptical if there's a group of Nazis as opposed to just one.

Cosplay Projects: Akon 2007 June 1-3
-Kresnik 80% Abel Nightroad 2.0: 0% (Trinity Blood)
-Catharina Sforza: 0% (Trinity Blood)
-Orochi Shermie: 0% (King of Fighters)
-Final Form Sora: 65% (Kingdom Hearts II)
Rip Van Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

I hadn't thought of a velcro one. Gosh, then it'd be really easy to make the swastika, wouldn't it?

*sweatdrop* I haven't seen where to get fake fur, so I was talking material wise, like on a bolt. Ah, my bad.

Armature wire, eh? Good idea. I definetly have to use a wig, seeing as he's blonde, and I'm not..and I don't know many anime fans around my area, let alone cosplayers. I think I'll just be very careful with the swastika. And be sure to tell people outside of the con it's just a costume.
Unread 08-24-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
KomoriChu
~Neopet Fursuiter~

Yeah, I think making the armband sans-swastika wouldn't do much. A red armband is still recognizable as part of Nazi uniforms, so it'd hurt the accuracy without doing much good in the way of p.c.-ness. But I agree, find a group of Millennium cosplayers. Groups of cosplayers always look more impressive than just one character here and there. Especially with Schro, since he isn't even a major villain, he's more of a side character. Or you could even hang around with Alucard. :3 People will recognize Alucard, then deduce that you're part of that series, even if they haven't read the manga. It could make for some interesting photos, too. ^____^

Also, if you find the fur on bolts at JoAnns, you can ask for less than a yard of fabric, you know? You could order 1/4 or even 1/8 a yard. 1/8th a yard would only be about 2 bucks, if the fur is 15 bucks a yard. :3 It's only for a couple of small ears, it isn't bad at all. Felt is a bad fabric to use. It looks too much like a kindergarten craft project than a costume. If you can't find fur at JoAnns, Walmart sells small sheets of faux fur, about 9x11, for 3 bucks apiece, but it's only in pure white or black.
Unread 08-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

really? Wow..^.^ Thank you! You've helped me immensely. *nods*

I'm sure when I cosplay him, I'll have no problem finding Hellsing cosplayers to hang with. Hell, if I get off my butt and join the local anime club, I could have an Alucard to hang around with. (and those would be interesting photos indeed..)
Unread 08-25-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
Rip Van Winkle
Rip the Hunter

You can get fake fur at Hancock's for half the cost of what was mentioned above (it's $15/yrd at Walmart too amazingly enough.) You can get 8x12 blocks of fake fur at art/craft stores too in the leatherworking area.

Also, you can always print a picture of Schro and carry it around with you in case folks ask what series you're from. It's easier than trying to explain everything, when you only have to whip out a scan of the manga and say 'Hellsing.'

Cosplay Projects: Akon 2007 June 1-3
-Kresnik 80% Abel Nightroad 2.0: 0% (Trinity Blood)
-Catharina Sforza: 0% (Trinity Blood)
-Orochi Shermie: 0% (King of Fighters)
-Final Form Sora: 65% (Kingdom Hearts II)
Rip Van Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
Pip_Bernadette6
"The first Sir Hellsing"

well if anyone wanst too i can give advise on a pip costume. I just came back from Otakon and i showed mine (Pip Bernadette) costume off)
Pip_Bernadette6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 10:37 PM   #13
Sephiria-chan
pocky addict

One thing that greatly bothers me with Pip Bernadotte costumes is the lack of accuracy and the horrid innatention to detail. Its a french army style hat, not a cowboy cat, he wears tan clothes and they are SHADOWED in the ova trailer, not dark. He has many small badges including a french flag, the design on his hat is a horse, and there are so many good action pics that it should be relativelty simple to come up with at least modifications to patterns to make it exact.

Ok, now that my rant is done, Schro is often colored tan, but the calendar pic done by Hirano makes his uniform army green. This may just be for the sake of adding more colors to the calendar, as pip's clothes are also colored green when they are tan on the v7 cover. Either way you wish to interpret it, it makes a great reference shot.

http://bukkorosu.net/manga/calendarpic.jpg
Sephiria-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #14
Ryufighter
Rock the ryu

Warrior pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvana_Girl
Very good advice. DO NOT WEAR ARMBAND IN PUBLIC. I've learned this lesson. Unfortunately.

It is a fun costume to do though, it involves a lot of leather work, so it's a good costume if you want to learn some new things. If you don't want to use faux fur for the ears, you can always go with felt, or cover a felt peice with the fur. The felt I found was easier to cut, and gives youa very 'animated' sort of look to the ears.

You may be able to find a historical costume pattern that looks very simalar to a military uniform of that time, look in JoAnn's or something of that sort. You can also use this pattern, which I have found very helpful in Hellsing cosplay. It's incredibly easy to sew and does wonders on military shirts:

Simplicity: Easy-To-Sew

http://simplicity.com/index.cfm?page... OKEN=27173414

hey srry to interupt. My name is Rook Kelly, and i am very new 2 this hole thing. At next years Comic Con, my friends and i will be cosplaying as super saiyan 4 characters. We r not basing characters from GT, but we r making our own characters. We will be using fur for the skin. What kinda fur should we use. We r gonna hav female saiyans as well as male. We r looking for ppl that r in the San Diego area and r willing to b part of our skit.
Ryufighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #15
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryufighter
hey srry to interupt. My name is Rook Kelly, and i am very new 2 this hole thing. At next years Comic Con, my friends and i will be cosplaying as super saiyan 4 characters. We r not basing characters from GT, but we r making our own characters. We will be using fur for the skin. What kinda fur should we use. We r gonna hav female saiyans as well as male. We r looking for ppl that r in the San Diego area and r willing to b part of our skit.
You need to ask that somewhere else dear; or PM someone who knows that. This isn't a thread for DBGT; it's for Hellsing.

Sephira; thank you for that manga scan. I'll probably go with making it tan, but that's still an excellent picture for reference.

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 08-26-2005 at 09:37 AM.