Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 08-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

An "affordable" full-frame DSLR announced

Canon recently announced the Canon EOS 5D. It's a 12.8 megapixel DSLR that's full frame.

Meaning, there's no 1.6x FOV crop that happens with cameras such as the Canon EOS 350D/Rebel XT or the Canon EOS 20D.

And "affordable" being very relative in this case, as it's listed as $3,300 USD. But considering the only other full-frame DSLR (that I know of) is the Canon 1Ds MKII which is US $7,000. 8-/

What do you guys think? Anyone want to make the "jump" to full frame, if you're not there already? Or is this still not "affordable" yet? X-D

Personally, I'm still pretty happy with my 350D and it's 1.6x FOV, but what do I know right? :)

Here's some pre-production previews and some commentary on what this baby means for digital photography.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...announce.shtml
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
phaedrus

If I had $3300 that I HAD to spend on photography, I'd go medium format before I went DSLR.

"It is clear your cat is a skilled marksman, but how is he with a sword?"
"You will find out soon enough, old man."
"Your master was a fool, you know. You will surely lose."
"Perhaps you are right, but he would never have brought a knife-cat to a gun-cat-fight."

Last edited by phaedrus : 08-25-2005 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Didn't change anything, just wanted to recall my actually not horrible $30 Lubitel Russian 6x6 that I broke in a river in Switzerland
phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
zoinomiko
Retired. No, really!

If I weren't still paying off my 20D I'd consider it. But even then, I think I'd upgrade my lenses before I doubled my body investment. (also, it would depend on how it handles high ISO)
zoinomiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

You can get a used Canon 1Ds (not the mkII) for about $4000 in some places and that's full-frame too.

But, the new 5D does look nice. Part of me would like to change to it because the noise is most likely much cleaner than the 1Ds (which requires a bit more post-processing on anything over ISO400), but the other part of me would miss the 45-point autofocus. Shooting with the 1-series bodies is a dream because with a good lens the camera pretty much focuses and shoots the moment you press down on the button. Additionally the 1/200 flash sync would probably stop me from buying it completely, because a lot of the studio work I do is synched at 1/250 sec.

Regardless, if I get a hold of one and it feels right, I might sell my 1Ds and consider the 5D a temp until Canon releases their next generation in a couple of years. I think the image quality will be just as good if not better than the 1Ds.

On the 1.6x crop for the 20D/350D - there are actually a few advantages to it, especially the fact that you're usually using the sweet spot of the lens throughout the frame. One great example is the Canon 24/1.4 lens, which shows considerable distortion wide-open on a full frame camera, but rocks as about a 38mm lens on a 1.6 because the crop cuts out the bad parts.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
gmontem

I bet the Admin will turn down the 5D after spending some time with it. It's pretty hard to go back once you've used an EOS-1 series body. I know I can't and the 20D feels like a toy to me. The noise on the 5D shouldn't be much of a concern since it looks like all they did was take the 1DmkII sensor (1.3x) and made it full-frame (they have similar pixel pitch).
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
raye

Kodak made a line of full frame digital SLRs until recently for both Canon and Nikon mounts.

The 5D is very appealing for the price. I almost wish I was in the Canon camp right now but I am still waiting for Nikon.
raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 12:50 AM   #7
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

I'm much more curious about how they're going to try to market this thing. I'm with the opposition on this one. The 4MP advantage might be nice (over the 20D and the 1DMarkII & 1DMarkIIN) and full frame helps if you shoot wide or shallow, but how this is a competitor against the 20D is beyond me. It's priced much closer to the 1D. I'm guessing the people looking in the range of the 20D or the XT are not going to be looking at the 5D. The only angle I can think of is trying to market this to the people who want wide angle or 12MP but can't afford a brand new 1Ds Mark II. But that's a limited market.
Unread 08-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
dmk26

I'm guessing they'll probably try and phase out the 20D in the next year or so, and replace it with the 5D (assuming they drop the price a little bit). The 20D and the Rebel XT are too close in functionality that most people don't think the added 500 bucks for the 20D is worth it.

It is interesting to note that the 5D doesn't support EF-S lenses.
dmk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
gmontem

Canon has been selling film bodies at different prices and feature sets back in the day so I doubt they'll phase out the EOS-20D line up. They need to cater those people (like the nature/bird folk) who want the 1.6x cropped sensor and a body better than the Rebel. Similarly the EOS-5D will probably open the door to a better built body, like a digital version of the EOS-3.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 03:23 AM   #10
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

I'd think I'd have to agree with the people who said that they'd rather spend the money on good lenses.

Is there any consideration to the form factor the 5D? The luminous landscaps writeup talked about the 5D being signifgantly smaller and lighter then the 1Ds. Having just held admin's rig, I can sort of understand that.

Or does the body not matter as long as the photos are good?
Unread 08-28-2005, 04:02 AM   #11
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyB
I'd think I'd have to agree with the people who said that they'd rather spend the money on good lenses.

Is there any consideration to the form factor the 5D? The luminous landscaps writeup talked about the 5D being signifgantly smaller and lighter then the 1Ds. Having just held admin's rig, I can sort of understand that.

Or does the body not matter as long as the photos are good?
Well, granted, the 5D is close in size to the 20D, and the 20D is probably the right balance of heft & size for comfort for a number of people. That said, if I were thinking about spending $3000 on a camera, I would have to think form factor would have to come below factors such as image quality, lens complement, and those other pragmatic issues. One would think weight & balance does matter if you cannot hold the equipment right, because it would have a direct impact on image quality (if you can't hold the rig steady, it'll affect the steadiness of shots, presumably). But other than that, do you know anyone who has a $3000 SLR as a fashion statement?
Unread 08-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #12
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

Has anyone seen samples from the 5D yet? They simply look amazing at ISO1600. I'm not sure until someone makes measurements and more testing, but they look even better than pictures taken with the 20D at high ISO.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

DPReview has samples up:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/page11.asp

But they are from the beta firmware, so it's not finalized and could change when the product goes gold.
Unread 08-31-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
JadeCat
Cosplay-Con Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoinomiko
If I weren't still paying off my 20D I'd consider it. But even then, I think I'd upgrade my lenses before I doubled my body investment. (also, it would depend on how it handles high ISO)
I think the 20D is good enough, and $3k I'd be getting additional lenses. However, I did see reviews of the 5D and sample images from one of the local reviewers..and WOW.

Is it worth spending $3k? I could get 2 decent lenses w/ that, and maybe have enough left over for costuming supplies.
email: wyldfire AT wyldfires DOT com

What I want to be when I grow up: a demonic, re-animated, screaming, villianeous, sword-wielding psycho wench from hell who has risen to become a goddess. Do you think there are any job openings left?
JadeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 03:35 PM   #15
zoinomiko
Retired. No, really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeCat
Is it worth spending $3k? I could get 2 decent lenses w/ that, and maybe have enough left over for costuming supplies.
Probably some of it depends on what you're currently shooting. I'm shooting with the kit lens and Canon's cheapest 75-300mm, so lenses are a no brainer for me (if it weren't a moot point because I'm broke). But if I was just trying to decide whether to upgrade from the 70-200mm f/4 L to the f/2.8, it might be a different story.
zoinomiko is offline   Reply With Quote