Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Street Fighter

Unread 08-26-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
KatoAlbino

Exclamation <b> Street Fighter crossplay... help?</b>

Er... hi! *waves feebly* I know Anime North is eight months away, but I have this horrible habit of procrastinating so I never have the opportunity to begin on those "dream" costumes. I was originally thinking of Raiden from MGS2, or rather, I have been for years, but I'm very new at cosplaying and most probably the saddest of the bunch because of my lack of costume-creating skills. So, I've considered to take on Ryu particularly because...well... it's a simpler introduction to cosplaying, and I believe I can receive some good help with it . What I've got going for me are the eyebrows (Okay, not the same, but I think it'll work ), dark hair (which my parents have been pestering me into cutting anyway), and a build that could work for this crossplay (is that what you call it?). Anyway, I'd appreciate all the suggestions for materials because I'm uncertain where to start. Thanks for your help... and I'm on a tight budget too, which really restricts my options.

Last edited by KatoAlbino : 08-27-2005 at 03:21 PM. Reason: To bump this thread, if possible, by making the title a little clearer. I really could use the help, because my cosplaying skills are really lacking.
KatoAlbino is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
KatoAlbino

*nudges thread for much needed bump* I have the white gi (correct me if that's the wrong word) ... but with that, there's a problem. I will have to use the binding method (is that what it's called) to try and pass myself off as Ryu, but the issue is that his outfit is partly open at the front, and it'd be awfully strange if he were wearing a sports-bra of some sort. >__> ... <__< ... Again, I have no clue as to how the heck this'll all work out.
Unread 08-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
akira_chan

Oh you're a girl crossplaying as Ryu! ok well what you might want to do about having the gi top open like Ryu is that you should invest in like a tube top that is flesh colored to cover any binding you will have to do. As for the pants, they should have come in a set(the gi and the bottoms come in a set usually)so you shouldn't have to worry about the bottoms unless you just had the top. Hope this helps!
akira_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
KatoAlbino

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira_chan
Oh you're a girl crossplaying as Ryu! ok well what you might want to do about having the gi top open like Ryu is that you should invest in like a tube top that is flesh colored to cover any binding you will have to do. As for the pants, they should have come in a set(the gi and the bottoms come in a set usually)so you shouldn't have to worry about the bottoms unless you just had the top. Hope this helps!
Oops, I should have clarified that I am a girl from the beginning. I have the bottoms for the gi, fortunately, as I used to take martial arts classes for a short time. As for the tube top, I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for something suitable. Thanks.
Unread 08-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
cactusmomma
Let's play!

Haha, when I did Ryu, I did his Midnight Bliss version from SvC Chaos...no crossplay needed! Just add lipstick, keep the boobies and make your hair a little longer than what his would usually be.
The thing about glitter is, if you get on you, be prepared to have it on you forever..cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies..like 'Damn, here comes the sun. flare up!' -Dimitri Martin
cactusmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
KatoAlbino

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadePocky
Haha, when I did Ryu, I did his Midnight Bliss version from SvC Chaos...no crossplay needed! Just add lipstick, keep the boobies and make your hair a little longer than what his would usually be.
I can't believe that didn't come to mind...what a good photo in your gallery. Then again, if I stick with the crossplay, I could always blame binding tape on account of some random sparring injury...
Unread 08-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
cactusmomma
Let's play!

You could also try using an ace bandage..those are usually flesh colored and don't show up as much.

Plus 'blaming Demitri' for the gender swap is just plain fun.
The thing about glitter is, if you get on you, be prepared to have it on you forever..cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies..like 'Damn, here comes the sun. flare up!' -Dimitri Martin
Unread 08-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
KatoAlbino

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadePocky
You could also try using an ace bandage..those are usually flesh colored and don't show up as much.

Plus 'blaming Demitri' for the gender swap is just plain fun.
Yeah, it's great to have a scapegoat.

I've been thinking that regular bandage might not look so out of place if I posed as a Ryu who was beated to a pulp. But, hey, I'm curious as to how the "ace bandage" will work out. Do you know the types of stores where I'll be able to find some?
Unread 09-01-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

I've heard of using an Ace Bandage with fleshtone foundation. There's probably a thread about binding in the crossplay boards though. You might check there.
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 02:23 AM   #10
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

OR you could take the "injured" aproach and bind your chest in cauze with a fiew blood stains or whatnot. No street fighter gets away with less than a few bruises, ya know

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
KatoAlbino

The more I think about it, the more that seems a pretty decent idea. :P I only hope that can work with the Vega outfit I'm planning as well. >_<

Thanks a lot everyone for the info, it's helped plenty.

Last edited by KatoAlbino : 09-01-2005 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Forgot to say something... :P
Unread 09-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #12
cactusmomma
Let's play!

You can get gauze wraps and ace bandages at Wal-mart or any drug store.
Unread 09-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #13
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatoAlbino
The more I think about it, the more that seems a pretty decent idea. :P I only hope that can work with the Vega outfit I'm planning as well. >_<

Thanks a lot everyone for the info, it's helped plenty.
As far as Vega is concerned, you can do something interesting that I haven't seen any Vega Cosplayers outside of Europe do.

Wear a bull fighters jacket. This works well for woman/men with bad physique to cosplay as Vega. You can find paterns for it just about anywhere, just match the colors to whichever color you are doing for Vega. Also, you could go the extra mile and fabric paint/embroider his snake symbol onto the jacket. Seems a ver good idea

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #14
KatoAlbino

Sweet, wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Thanks. :P Sure, I've been saying that a lot, but really, I mean it.