Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 08-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
sarabug

warning: gas crisis in atlanta, fill your tanks

hey kids, just wanted to give a heads up that there are some electrical issues going on with our main gas pipelines and it's being rationed at about $4 a gallon...and some stations are closing down altogether, so if you're driving into town for dragoncon, be sure to fill up before you get to atlanta just to be on the safe(and affordable) side.

sarabug is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
mocha
The Original Blikku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabug
hey kids, just wanted to give a heads up that there are some electrical issues going on with our main gas pipelines and it's being rationed at about $4 a gallon...and some stations are closing down altogether, so if you're driving into town for dragoncon, be sure to fill up before you get to atlanta just to be on the safe(and affordable) side.

No kidding. On my way home most of the gas stations were either packed or out of gas completely! And I heard they're all hitting the $4.00 mark tomorrow. It's like $80.00 to fill my car up now! That's ridiculous! It's like I've been saying all along, the government is EVIL.
mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Neo Dave
I like big props!

Hmmm.... I wonder if the taxis from the airport will be running.... Damn!

Heroic people take risks to themselves to help others.
Neo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

NeoDave: Homie!!! Do not disspare. Just take the MARTA railway from the airport to the hotel. Check it http://www.itsmarta.com/
fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #5
sarabug

oh! he's right, marta from the airport directly to the hotel is the way to go! and sooooo much cheaper!

Unread 08-31-2005, 11:57 PM   #6
TechieCL
MomoCon HeadStaff

Don't PANIC!

Jeez-us....this "shortage" is purely self-fulfilling. Yes some pipelines are down, but its not the panic-inducing maddess everyone thinks it is. Its compounded by the fact that a lot of places are starting price gouge to take advantage of the labor day vacationing.

Gas Stations have 10 days of gas in their underground tanks (my friend used to manage one)

The "down" pipelines are coming back online 20-35% with back-up generators.

The other pipelines were not being run at full capacity, so their being pumped up to full preassure.

State gov is temporarily lifting fuel addictive and environmental restrictions to free up more gas for refining.

If everyone who really needed a fill up filled up, and everyone who did not didn't, then we'd all be fine....

Spread the word, think don't panic.

And if all these pancicy, heard thinking people are spiking gas to make it hard to get dragon-con. Think, adapt, and improvise. Car pool, public transport, anything. Rising gas is no reason to bail on Dragon-Con (on several other boards people are bailing due to this unsubstantiated panic)

MomoCon On Tour get your Fan-Fix between conventions. Photoshoots, dances, and more!
TechieCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #7
nachtinis
GIVE ME BACK MY FACE

BTW According to the media there was a story about the fact that it illegal to do price gouging when the surplus has been tapped. With that concept, im sure if some stations have higher than average pricing. What would average joe citizen do if they figured that out? Well get in contact with your local government to lodge a complaint, usually the city clerk can handle those things, or direct you to an appropriate office. Be sure to bring proof for your complaint (photo of price marquee, sales receipt, etc).

And it is imperative that everyone remain calm, crisis occurs when there is no hope, absense of hope is something that can be contolled by the way us "Humans" handle stress and cling to our beleifs.
nachtinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #8
sarabug

there is, in fact, a phone number you can call to report gas price gouging. any stations found to be overcharging will face a hefty fine.

(404) 651-8600 inside Atlanta or (1 800) 869-1123 outside Atlanta.

thing is, if no one had known about any of this, we'd have been just fine, all of it is due to people overreacting....my guess is that all of this will pass over by the time we emerge from dragoncon!