Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Unread 01-28-2003, 05:27 PM   #1
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

2003 Cherry Blossom Festival Parade

Hey everyone,

For those of you living in San Francisco, CA or the BayArea, there's an event coming up in April that's not a convention but IS cosplay related. On Sunday, April 20th, is the annual Cherry Blossom Festival Parade, which is the highlight of the 2-weekend CBF which celebrates Japanese arts, crafts, and culture. Similar to Japan Expo but it takes place throughout Japantown center. The Parade, on the 2nd Sunday of the festival, involves a lot of groups involving communities & cultures, such as school groups, city officials, and advertisements. You'll see floats containing Taiko Drummers, kimono-clad dancers, and beauty-paegant queens. The cosplay part is represented by Japan Video, a video store that I go to often to rent videos, and each year their section in the parade is a gathering of cosplayers representing anime and videogames. Each year the # of cosplayers grows as they offer prizes to the best costumes, (like DVD's, or even a GIANT STUFFED TOTORO) and it gives them a chance to walk down the streets of San Francisco in costume, and wave to the crowd of onlookers. Last year (I missed it because I was at A-cen) they had a float, and a few cosplayers who had the best-looking costumes got to sit or walk on the float and wave to the people.

I'll probably go this year, since it doesn't conflict with any cons (it takes place 2 weeks AFTER Sakuracon) and probably cosplay either Shinji or Endless Waltz Trowa, although.. it may not be too wise to cosplay a boyscout-nazi costume in front of the people and police..

So whoever's interested in going, post a reply and which costume you plan to wear. See you all there!!
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
MargauxZ
rox0rz your sox0rz

I wonder if there's one in DC this year. I def. want to make a costume kimono for that.

(Or just wear the hideous lime green one I made for Mama Kurata from Kodocha....)
MargauxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I'll be going, and most hopefully as Ryuuzaki Umi from Magic Knight Rayearth in armor. I should have Hikaru & Fuu with me. ^^ I want to have an Ascot and Ferio, but the Knights are responsible for the costumes for them and I don't know if we can really finish those two as well as the armor & sword work and everything.
I didn't cosplay last year for the parade (though I did in '00 and '01), so I'm trying to do something big this year. XD

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2003, 08:13 PM   #4
videogirlc

Will definately be there hopefully with my Umi costume finished and the Ascot costume finished for my boyfriend. All depends how much work school pounds down on me. If not we'll be there as Miroku and Sango.
videogirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

I'll be there but I dunno what I'll be cosplaying as... I'll just be sure to wear sunscreen this time and make sure I'm more covered up on my shoulders than last year. Stupid SF being all sunny and warm last year *shakes fist* I might wear my padudu costume but I'm afraid if I do and am not picked if I could handle the walking in the giant fish, lol plus i'll probably get tons of people behind me stepping on the tail. hrmmm decisions decisions.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

I'm SO trying to go this year since I missed just about everything last year ^_^
Babbit_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 01:57 PM   #7
Aoshi Shinomori
Bishounen Senshi

I'll probably go this year.. might cosplay or might not..ill probably see u there Al
Aoshi Shinomori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

I'll be goin of coruse ^^v jsut as every year since 00' ^^.

Although I'm not too sure on what I'll bring this time around... ^^;
Kenshin Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #9
Nadeshiko
white rose assassin

My boyfriend (he posts as Subaru The Baka here) and I are planning on going. He's either going as Seishirou Sakurazuka or Subaru Sumeragi. I'll just be going as Pepper from Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar. Or if he plans to go as Subaru, I'll crossplay as Seishriou...hehe...hya all the way! XD
Unread 02-09-2003, 08:57 PM   #10
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Whoever went last year to the CBF parade, did they judge the contestants BEFORE or AFTER the parade? Any info you can provide would be helpful.. Because..

I'll most likely wear my Trowa (Endless Waltz) costume, but it's the arm-band I think that might cause a little restlessness in the crowd (it's black, and says "M" on it, but added with the costume and people might think it's a nazi-thing.. So when the costumes are being judged, I'll wear the arm-band for the contest but remove it during the parade, since I'm guessing a lot of people in the audience don't know what anime is.

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 02-10-2003 at 02:12 AM.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #11
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

If I can get Kikyo together, I'll probably cosplay her for the parade. Not sure if I'll enter in the costume contest ^^;
Unread 02-10-2003, 03:36 AM   #12
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

for the costume contest they had you line up and sign up and they gave you a nbr then they had you line up by nbr and they had this little area where the judges were. It was pretty informal they mainly asked you what series you were from and if you are cosplaying something uncommon you can give them a picture or plushie or whatever so they can see what it is you are cosplaying as. Then they were done with ya so however long it takes them to judge everyone. Then it was kinda very short notice (as in really close to the parade being ready to start) they shouted out places (3rd on up to 1st) and those nbrs called got to ride on the float and everyone else either got 4th or 5th place (you found out after the parade over by the pagoda and you told them your nbr and they said whatever place you got, you picked between stuffs and you got your goodie bag) everyone wins so it's really cool ^_^ but I dont suggest you go for judging in a group cuz aoshi and I did that last year and because of it they deleted his nbr and forgot to write it next to mine so they showed him as not even participating so when he went to go get his prize they got all confused ^_^;;;

but yeah it was fun ^_^ I'll most likely be going again and it's fun to be able to kick back and talk with friends while you wait forever for the parade to start ^_^;

Miaka no Baka
Unread 02-10-2003, 04:00 AM   #13
videogirlc

Do you think they'll try to keep us in threes lines throughout the parade again?
videogirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2003, 11:50 AM   #14
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

hehe I remember how we all started out lined up but then the lines just merged and we wound up in a massive group instead of being in lines according to series like they had at the begining. Since it's not like we actually all get together and practice the pace of marching along in the parade there's not much they can do to keep us in line ^_^;

Oh yeah remember to choose your shoes wisely. Hills plus quite a walk will kill your feet esp if you're wearing bad shoes.

Miaka no Baka
Unread 02-11-2003, 09:17 PM   #15
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

Miaka: It sounds fun - I guess I'll enter this year ^_^ Are tabi suitable for long periods of walking >>;