Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 09-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

Cleaning Lenses?

I've been going through my equipment, trying to get everything ready for PMX and noticed that several of my lenses are rather dirty! What do people suggest to use for cleaning them?

Unread 09-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Go to your local Wolf or Ritz camera and they should have some sort of lens cleaning liquid. Don't use water, or anything not specifically made for cleaning lenses, as it could damage the front and rear elements or spot up easily. Additionally, you'll want some cloths specifically for lenses so you do not scratch the front or back.

Also pick up a cheap hand-pump blower ($2-5 maybe?) at the camera store and blow the dust off of the lenses first. The front and rear elements can be very sensitive to dust, so you don't want to be rubbing the dust into the glass and wind up having some of the particles being particularly abrasive.

I recommend "Pec Pads" for cleaning lenses - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I also keep UV filters on the front of my lenses at all times, that way I'm cleaning a $20-50 filter and not a $1000 lens. I rarely, if ever, touch the rear elements, usually just using the blower to get rid of any stray dust.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
JadeCat
Cosplay-Con Photographer

One of those no-lint microfiber cleaning cloths
A blower w/ a brush or a blower w/o a brush

Any camera store is going to have somewhat of a selection

I would also probably get a decent filter for the front of your lens...that way you'll only have to worry about cleaning the filter instead of the lens, as well as protecting the lens from any scratches.
email: wyldfire AT wyldfires DOT com

What I want to be when I grow up: a demonic, re-animated, screaming, villianeous, sword-wielding psycho wench from hell who has risen to become a goddess. Do you think there are any job openings left?
JadeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

Thanks Admin and JadeCat! I picked up a couple of replacement UV filters and a hand pump yesterday. I always keep UV filters on my lenses, but they still manage to get dirty, even though I always put the covers on, and keep them in the camera bag when not being used. Is there some better way to store them, or is getting some dust inevitable?
Unread 09-03-2005, 03:34 AM   #5
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokuu
......, or is getting some dust inevitable?
Yes......
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote