Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-11-2005, 07:01 AM   #16
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Oh yes! Tips!

Don't show up super early. You'll just waste time standing in line. I learned that the hard way. Showing up at 8 doesn't necessarily mean anything except standing in line a long time. So, since it starts at 10, I had breakfast at McDonalds (there's a few in the area) and went over the join the line a little after 10, maybe 1030, and was in a little after 11, same as the times when I stood in line since 8am. There's a little mall near the Big Sight, and it's got a nice ladies bathroom, at least, with a large mirrored area (in the foodcourt-ish area). It's a good place to put on makeup ahead of time. I met one Japanese girl in there who was putting on a wig - but it was a natural color wig, and she was just in a punk/goth style, so I don't think she was cosplaying, so it was ok.

As mentioned, rolling suitcases are the way to go.

But you don't need the book to enter the cosplay area- you need it if you are in costume. You can enter and take pictures if you want without paying.

There's also a strict dress code. If your costume is short or has high slits (to the hips), wear little spandex shorts or skin-color tights (not nylons) underneath or they won't let you in (or make you pin it). Same with on top - tape it in or something. No metal, no props over 30cm, I believe. There's a "cosplay check" table where they'll approve your costume when you leave the changing area.

You'll notice that Japanese people usually just choose a location and stand there/hang out there, hardly taking pictures of other people. It seems that cosplayers are usually not photographers, too, unlike American and Canaidan cons.

Make a meeting place/time otherwise you may have trouble finding one another (although I have a feeling it won't be hard to find Ziggy and Sex...I mean, Hitori, since they will probably be popular!).

And the subway/train and the little tram are always jam-packed, to and from, so just be prepared for that. XD

Ok, enough outta me!

BF's not going, so it'll just be me. I'll PM some ppl my keitai number/mail so we can meet up. ^^ I'm only going to be attending on Friday, dressed as Nanao from Bleach (the usual shinigami outfit). And depending on if I find others or not, I may be alone.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #17
Hitori
Tra la la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
Make a meeting place/time otherwise you may have trouble finding one another (although I have a feeling it won't be hard to find Ziggy and Sex...I mean, Hitori, since they will probably be popular!).
Uuum. Actually, I am wearing Sex on Thursday. Sara on Friday ^.^;;
Unread 12-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #18
ilumiari
What is "Shower?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
No metal, no props over 30cm, I believe.
I'm probably wrong, but I remember reading in the Natsukomi book that it was 50cm. Don't quote me on it.

The two attached files are photos I took at Natsukomi. The one called Iriguti was taken at 8.30 (i.e. 90 minutes before opening time), the second photo was taken at the subway station roughly an hour before closing time. So much for leaving early to avoid the rush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iriguti.JPG (60.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg eki.JPG (59.2 KB, 0 views)
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:58 AM   #19
emeraude
Love 4 Cosplay

can i enter the cosplay area if i wear an original cosplay?
emeraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:52 PM   #20
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Ah, ok, maybe it is 50cm. Someone had told me 30cm (a Japanese girl) but maybe we're all confused! ^^

Yes, emeraude, I do believe you can. But if it looks like a costume, and you want photos taken, you have to have the comiket "cosplay book" which requires entering the changing room and paying 600yen per day that you want to cosplay.

Unread 12-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #21
Kazenokibou

I've been to comiket several times, and if your intention is to just get in to Comiket, going late is the way to go. However, if you plan on buying doujinshi from one of the popular circles (called "Kabegiwa," since they are closer to the wall), then you would want to go early... like REAL early. Although it is prohibitted, people do stay over night near Kokusai Tenjijyou and get in there as fast as they can. And, also even though it is prohibitted, PEOPLE RUN. Becareful if you are there early!!!

I've never been to comiket to cosplay, but if there is any other questions on comiket I MIGHT be able to help...

Oh, they do have a International Group for Comiket. My brother was actually one of them before. (now he doesn't volunteer) So if your having problems and need an English assistance, you can reference them.

I might be going to the Winter Comiket, so if I do, I'll try to post some pics.
Kazenokibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #22
Hitori
Tra la la

Eleryth- Are you sure you need that book to cosplay? From when I went, the impression was that you get the cosplay book when you use their changing rooms. I saw several people come in costume though, not obviously, with trench coats on. 'Cause they don't check that you got the book to enter the area ^.^;; And they also didn't check when I returned to change back. And no one made sure the outfit was acceptable...
When I went it was *very* crowded because it was sleeting and then snowing. So maybe they were just too busy?
Unread 12-13-2005, 12:51 AM   #23
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I've always been checked for the book to see if it had the right sticker and everything when entering the photo area, but then I've only been to Summer comiket.

OH! It was probably because I'd always been going outside since I've only gone to summer comikets. The inside was just WAY too crowded for me. And you're right, I don't think anyone checks on the inside. It's just too busy and there's not just one or two entrances.

As for making sure the cos is acceptable, I was always just directed to a table when leaving the changing room area and told to have it checked. I mean, even when I went as Tricia Elric... it was weird. They were worried about my paperclay toys - that they'd break and make a mess. So I had to put them away.

I suppose that if your costume looks "dangerous" or is possibly too revealing they might single you out and tell you to have it checked, I guess. I don't see why all costumes would, but at last Natsucomi it seemed that all the girls had to have their costumes checked out. Could have just been chance.

I really wish they'd give more English information, considering they do have English speaking volunteers (but always up in that little International room).

Unread 12-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #24
Tumdurgal

Hello,

I have no idea about Cosplay, however i do participate in LARP (i.e. dress up medievel style) and was wondering if the comiket has costume stands/armour etc or not.

thanks for any help (currently in Japan so can bimble over and take a look see)

Tumdurgal
Tumdurgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 04:07 AM   #25
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Tumdurgal,

Comiket is short for Comic Market. It's mostly original comics, companies, and doujinshi (fan comics). Maybe a few assessories (like cat ears or something). There's some cosplay, but mostly in specified areas only. It's not like a usual convetion you might hear about, with viewing rooms and a variety of dealer's tables and panels and everything else going on. It's about manga, first and foremost.

If you want to check out costumes, places like Mandrake or COSPA might be better for you. Or heck, wander Harajuku if you want to see some strange fashion (no armor that I know of, though).

Hope that helped somewhat.

Unread 12-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #26
Tumdurgal

Thanks, helps somewhat on tracking items/gear down, so harajuku it is months of searching various places and still can't find something as simple as pirate boots.

Tumdurgal
Tumdurgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #27
Hitori
Tra la la

I gots a hair question- would it be.. acceptable to have my hair done up already and just change there? I'm worried about the practicallity of doing Sara's hairstyle in those changing rooms.
Unread 12-19-2005, 06:39 AM   #28
ilumiari
What is "Shower?"

I think it would be ok. At summer comiket they way I found the cosplay area was to follow a chick who was already wearing most of her costume. No one mentioned anything about her interesting choice of pants, so I'm sure no one will notice an unusual hairstyle (this is Japan, after all.)
Unread 12-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #29
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Hitori - I had to look at the hair for Sara in your gallery, and if it's that princess one, that's perfectly normal. I'm sure you'd be just fine doing it at the hotel and then going to comiket that way. You probably won't get stares for it either (other than the fact that you're a foreigner). After all, as ilumiari said, there are some really crazy styles in Japan.

[aside - your hair is REALLY LONG. Holy crap. Looks gorgeous.]

Unread 12-21-2005, 07:27 AM   #30
ilumiari
What is "Shower?"

I just practiced wearing my costume outside today (on my balcony). It was a fairly warm day, but as soon as the first gust of wind came I ran inside. My host sister took a pic of me freezing when I wasn't looking, I'll load it up cause I love the expression on my face.
I'M GOING TO TURN INTO AN ICE CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What measures are people going through to keep themselves from freezing to death?