Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 01-29-2003, 08:42 AM   #1
shakeystephens
Dark Light (I Love B)

Shining Force

In my opinion, the greatest game series, or at least RPG series, ever made. I'd like to hear your opinions. Once I learn how to get trhe avatars working on here, you'll become familiar with my Max Avatar by the way.
shakeystephens is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2003, 10:35 AM   #2
Celine
Remember me?

At one point, I used to own the whole series.. ^_^ Er, it's my favorite strategy/RPG series (way better than Langrisser, bwahaha). SF2 is one of the greatest games ever. It is so addicting and the characters are so adorable! I really regret selling SFCD...
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

I played Shining Force 1 and 2, and while I had a lot of fun and thought at the time that the graphics were amazing (the animation of the characters as they attack was such a novelty to me)... I'm sorry I have to disagree.

It's a good, solid, strategy/RPG game series but... aye there's the rub... most of the characters were not very well defined, and, let's face it, the story was rather simplistic, especially when you compare it with older games like FFIV and almost contemporaries like FFVI and the first Suikoden.

If you narrow it to strategy RPGs, maybe, and even then I think I enjoyed Ogre Battle more... it was so long ago though. O_O But I give Shining Force the thumbs up for starting my centaur obsession! I especially liked Ernest. I think his name was Ernest. I changed it to Tristam. ^__^

As for Der Langrisser I never finished it due to the fact that I am lazy when it comes to games in Japanese and after betraying everyone to keep the sword to myself I found myself in a battle were the only way to win was to kill the one of my old allies I actually liked. Whoups. X__X
Unread 01-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

You are right! As strategy games go it is my favourite...well Shining Force 3 anyway....the three scenarios were so nicely played out..and making certain choices to get different characters in the army...Let Garosh die and Jade joins in the 2nd army...keep Garosh alive and you have to kill Jade....spare Stella and get Profound....
And Julian's army has got to be the most oddball of the three with dragons, princesses, fairies, pegasus, unicorn, witches and ogres...I wonder why I have yet to cosplay from it...?

Some small info on pandas- Eats, shoots and leaves!
(this is an excellent book btw)
The difference a little punctuation makes!
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 12:06 PM   #5
Dark Vision
Dark Mousy

I too have played the series. It fun, and different. But I wouldn't say its a great rpg type game. It's basically a japanese spin off of the dugeon and dragon games..... the older ones.

I agree about the simplistic story. One of features of a well done story line is seen through the side stories and side events. One of the things FF is known for as with other great rpg's and such.
Dark Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #6
Celine
Remember me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosiel
It's a good, solid, strategy/RPG game series but... aye there's the rub... most of the characters were not very well defined, and, let's face it, the story was rather simplistic, especially when you compare it with older games like FFIV and almost contemporaries like FFVI and the first Suikoden.
^^ I never said it had a good plot or any characterization. The reason it's so great is because it has the best strategy battle system to date- its simplicity is what makes it better than the insanity of FFTactics. It's just a lot of fun to play. When I say the characters are adorable, that's because they are the cutest things ever. I have the artbooks, and I enjoy the designs.

Nietsche- Ack! Yeah, I had to play through SF3 a few times to be sure I had the party I liked best... and then, if you have the Premium CD, you can make the ultimately awesome happy party. I love the names in SF3. Profound, Arrogant, Tyranny, etc... ^_^
Unread 01-29-2003, 01:07 PM   #7
BannSidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by Celine
its simplicity is what makes it better than the insanity of FFTactics. It's just a lot of fun to play.

Insanity? I found it pretty straight forward and easy to grasp. Most people I know have. I prefer FFT over the Ogre Battle engine by far though.

I loved the SF series myself...
BannSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 01:14 PM   #8
Celine
Remember me?

Quote:
Originally posted by BannSidhe
Insanity? I found it pretty straight forward and easy to grasp. Most people I know have.
I hated it, because I thought it was hard. I guess I'm an idiot. :P Thanks.

I'm used to SF, where everyone has a set class, set weapons, etc. I really disliked all the customization of classes and abilities, waiting for spells/attacks, and the whole zodiac thing. It really takes a while to get used to all of that. And most people *I* know would agree with that.
Unread 01-29-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
BannSidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by Celine
I hated it, because I thought it was hard. I guess I'm an idiot. :P Thanks.

I'm used to SF, where everyone has a set class, set weapons, etc. I really disliked all the customization of classes and abilities, waiting for spells/attacks, and the whole zodiac thing. It really takes a while to get used to all of that. And most people *I* know would agree with that.
Well, there were some cheap parts that you had to prepare for by sometimes backing up a save or two. The customization part I thought is always where it shined though. (And thank god it wasn't plauged by hour long spell animations like the normal FF series.)

The biggest thing was the job system...and what I've noticed the most was that people didn't take advantage of it enough. (Or advantage of how easy to lvl it was with it.)

Let me tell you though...I used to almost burst into tears when I would surround a chocobo and beat on it/heal it back so I could keep upping my job points. *sniff*
BannSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 05:12 AM   #10
shakeystephens
Dark Light (I Love B)

Precisely waht I liked about SF Celine.

Set abilites, and weapons. Made it a challenge because you had to build up all your characters. And the lack of magic users balanced out by magical weapons.

Nothing like seeing Bowie blsating a row of enemies with Ice3 from the Force Breaker. SF1 and 2 wer my faves for sure. I must have played through them a dozen times each.
shakeystephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 10:45 PM   #11
Iridal
Great Mother of Nisan

I've played both SF1 and SF2, and for the time, I think it was fairly great. The story premise for SF1 started out ok, but it seemed to me that it degraded into finding where the next characters were hidden and recruiting them and the main thrust of the story became a bit muddled. But I REALLY enjoyed SF2...all the demons and the mysterious elements.... (the chess game drove me nuts though) *sighs* I miss my Sega.

I'm just now getting around to trying to beat FFT, and trying to compare that to the SFs, I acknowledge that it's more sophisticated, but the idea of NOT having to keep the job classes and upgrades in my head all the time (I thought) lets me focus more on the game play and not the nitpicky parts.

And Rosiel, Earnest was in SF1, and he did rock, especially when you give him the halbred and let him run roughshod over the enemy. ^_^ I always thought he was cute....in a brooding, horsey sort of way.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote