Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 09-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
Parasaurolophus
65 Million Years Old

Posing to reduce redeye

I know there's a thread earlier about editing techniques to reduce redeye, which is a great help. My question: is there a way to look or pose to reduce redeye when the photo is taken? I had a bunch of photos with EBK at Otakon, but since it was dark, I look vampyric: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=446670 (also see other photos on either side in the gallery-pg 19)

An additional, side question- is there where is a good place to look when doing a photoshoot with a single camera? I know gazes can be effected by the type of pose, but I'm talking about a neutral gaze which can show off the outfit. Is looking directly into the camera taboo?

any comments or suggestions are helpful!! Effective posing is something I'm working on, so I'll take anything.

edit: oops- I didn't mean POSTING to reduce redeye, though that would be great....
Katsucon 2008

Trying to lose weight? Read:
Krista's Weightlifting for Women -Great advice for everybody, not just women.
Also, see Marty Gallagher's Fitness for Serious Beginners Good Luck and Have fun!!

Last edited by Parasaurolophus : 09-08-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Parasaurolophus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
JadeCat
Cosplay-Con Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasaurolophus
I know there's a thread earlier about editing techniques to reduce redeye, which is a great help. My question: is there a way to look or pose to reduce redeye when the photo is taken? I had a bunch of photos with EBK at Otakon, but since it was dark, I look vampyric: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=446670 (also see other photos on either side in the gallery)
Redeye is caused by the reflection of the flash off the blood vessels in the eye. It almost always happens when you have a dark background, and the person's pupils are wide open.

Some things to help reduce it:
-- put the person where there is more light
-- get a separate flash that is away from the lens
-- use a bouncer/diffuser so that flash light isn't directly sent into the eye.
-- get a redeye pen for actual prints using film cameras
-- does your camera have a red eye reducer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasaurolophus
An additional, side question- is there where is a good place to look when doing a photoshoot with a single camera? I know gazes can be effected by the type of pose, but I'm talking about a neutral gaze which can show off the outfit. Is looking directly into the camera taboo?

any comments or suggestions are helpful!! Effective posing is something I'm working on, so I'll take anything.
edit: oops- I didn't mean POSTING to reduce redeye, though that would be great....
I personally like 3/4ths profile of the face, where the person is looking somewhere above your shoulder and to the side, but you still see a great majority of the face. This also allows for a little shadow on the face, giving it a bit more "depth".

Generally, I find it easier to look, not directly at the photographer, but somewhere at their ear or over their shoulder....or, in the case of a recent photoshoot, have people distracting your subject by making funny faces. :-)
email: wyldfire AT wyldfires DOT com

What I want to be when I grow up: a demonic, re-animated, screaming, villianeous, sword-wielding psycho wench from hell who has risen to become a goddess. Do you think there are any job openings left?
JadeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
stefaniecat
Camera Cat

I was trying to explain how to reduce redeye the other day to a guy at my work, but he didn't get the idea of a diffuser being different from 'low flash setting'... sigh... Yeah red-eye can ruin the best of photos lol.

As far as camera looking - its not 'taboo' to look directly at the lens. Its just a matter of the desired effect of the pose. There is a difference in the emotional intensity of a gaze if its looking straight at you (ie in the lens) as opposed to something off to the side of the camera. Both are perfectly acceptable poses, they just generate slightly different results.
stefaniecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 11:51 PM   #4
shiroin
Banned

i rarely had any problems with red-eyes
but the new Photoshop CS2 seems to have quite a nice red eye reduction tool, havnt tried it yet.
shiroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
Sean
Erudition Simulacrum

A lot of redeye reduction software suffers from the dead eye phenomenon...it basically turns eyes black as its best guess to get rid of redeye. If I'm forced to use flash I try to find an angle where the subject is looking into a light of some sort (see JadeCat's description above). Camera redeye reduction helps by pre-firing the strobe to constrict the subject's pupils but it's not always foolproof.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote