Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 09-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

Utarpa

I was just wondering if anyone in here has ever been to UTARPA ?

I've never gone before, but it's something that i always wanted to do when i was younger, but never got around to it. Then i forgot it even existed untill a few months ago when a friend reminded me about it, so this year i was thinking about going, and was wondering if anyone else has ever gone, n if so, what was it like? was it good? was it worth it?
N would anyone else from here b interested in going this month?

Here's the url with the details.

http://www.utarpa.org/

Unread 09-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Taja

A friend and I went to it a few years back. They showed the episodes in one of those lecture halls so it was pretty nice to watch anime on a big screen instead of on my horrible quality t.v. at home. We had fun despite me and my friend having no sense of direction and getting lost on the campus in the dark when it was over^^; (they changed the location that time so we had to go further into the campus). I'd say try going once to see if you like it ^^
Taja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
kels
Jelly Cosplay

mm... well i heard about it (cuz i go to uoft).. but .. after reading what they did i didnt really feel compelled to join at all.. ==;. oh well thats just me

kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

I'm getting my anime fill for the year from YAMA... more meetings, cheaper, and I can just stay on campus ^_^
MaiSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

I went to UTARPA for about 2 years as a regular. Was invited to join the exec twice, but declined cause I was going to UW for school.

It's okay for hanging out, but for me, that's all I'd go there for. Even though I know just about all the execs and volunteers, I only go there to hang out with people, haven't put out the money to get a membership to watch stuff in years cause the stuff they show just doesn't appeal to me...or most people...especially after permit changes within UofT resulted in the shows ending an hour earlier than before, so even less bang for your buck. >_>

I've heard repeatedly that the Ryerson and York anime clubs were much better run. I usually stick with CTRL-A (UW's anime club) now. Well run, 2 day long shows, cosplay and karaoke contests and most of the series shown have become personal faves of mines now...and membership costs the same as UTARPA, but you get a free show at the start of every term. >_>

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
TribalButterfly

I've never been to Utarpa so, i dont think i can be dissipointed. I don't really have any expectations, or anything i'm going to compare it to.
I just love anime
Unread 09-12-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
minion-chan
Previously Cretanzia

hmm.. I've never heard of UTARPA before, I go to URAnime at Ryerson almost every month, its 4 bucks and they show some really bizzare anime, I go with a bunch of my friends from school and sometimes I get some of my more distant friends to come down for it.
minion-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
TribalButterfly

Oh neet! before this thread, I didnt know that other schools did things like this as well. (when i went to college our school didnt have anything like this. My friends n i would get together in one of the largest lecture halls, and watch movies before they came out in the thearters, like Matrix, LOTR and stuff like that - one of the bennefits of being a computer animation student, with teachers who actually WORKED ON the movies But never any large anime get togethers)

Does anyone have any urls to any other places that do this kinda group anime thing???

Last edited by TribalButterfly : 09-13-2005 at 11:04 AM.
TribalButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote