Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 09-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
ilikeyaoi
+SORGASM+

Cosplaying as an Original Character to a con

Alright, what do you guys think about this? I see it as odd, but that's just me. And I'm not talking about OC's from original stories, or original Lolitas and such, but I mean fanfiction OC's. As in Sanzo's daughter who falls in love with Gojyo and turns him away from his womanization while Hakkai pines after her. It doesn't make much sense to me, not only will people not know who you are but you'll be accosting characters and you may be considered just a tad annoying.

No bashing or anything meant in this post, just wondering about other people's opinions on it.
ilikeyaoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Suzushichan
outta here

well, i think that it's fine as long as it's not too simple or badly made costume/design. i myself have quite a few original takes on costumes. (i.e. Gunner Lulu & Yuffie, GG, and my summons)
~suzushi
Unread 09-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

Jack pot, well about the OC i dont think there anything wrong with it.

Last edited by avskull : 09-11-2005 at 05:16 PM.
avskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Rip Van Winkle
Rip the Hunter

I'm gonna be cosplaying my OC at Akon 2006. Mostly because there are amazingly, quite a few people who know and recognize him, so it'll be interesting to see how many at the con itself will come up and be like "You're that guy from that comic, aren't you!" ^_^ I guess my cosplaying an OC is moreso a poll of recognition than trying to stand out from the crowd with my glaring originality. (laff~)

Cosplay Projects: Akon 2007 June 1-3
-Kresnik 80% Abel Nightroad 2.0: 0% (Trinity Blood)
-Catharina Sforza: 0% (Trinity Blood)
-Orochi Shermie: 0% (King of Fighters)
-Final Form Sora: 65% (Kingdom Hearts II)
Rip Van Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
misato is hot
the reference book

i dont get it myself actualy the entire reason i cosplay outher then the normual reason of its friggin fun is i like to do charecters really well and get good reactions from people who know the cahrecter but for me anyways cosplaying a charecter that was made up in a fanfic or a charecter i just doodled on a piece of paper that no ones seen but me holds no apeal to me

givin if you enjoy it thats cool and go for it but i just dont find it fun

luigi 100%
jiraiya 100%
gundam rx-78-2 100%
char's custome zaku II 005%
misato is hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

I'm sorry, i dont really understand what ur question. What would people find annoying exactly? That you're cosplaying as a character that isn't REALLY part of the show??? (is that what ur asking? i honnestly am not clear on ur question)

I just think if people are putting in their time and their cash, and their energy into their costumes, then they should b able to wear whatever they want. I cosplay because i love it - not to please someone else (though when my costumes do please other people, it definatly makes he happy) .
I think if someone's going to get all annoyed, or hot and bothered because they don't like the character that someone else is cosplaying as, then they need to get outdoors more
Unread 09-12-2005, 02:18 AM   #7
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

A costume is a costume, whether it's an accurate re-creation, an interpretation, a crossover, a world-extension or AU character, or a complete original. Anyone who thinks the only "legit" type of cosplay is accurate re-creation has obviously never perused an artbook (ie: Amano) or a doujinshi...

In any case, I see nothing at all wrong with wearing an OC costume. It's the "accosting other characters" that you mentioned that is a problem, but that is a problem with re-creation cosplayers as well, such as grabby Miroku cosplayers (from Inu Yasha) ...
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
Raver-Sakura
Mad flexible Raver Skillz

heh

Oh! Im currently trying to finish up my OC cosplay for Onicon.
Its going to be for the Masquerade and I've ALWAYS wanted to make it.
Raver-Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
Tenchan
Puppy

I do find it a bit obnoxious when someone dos an OC for an already existing fandom, but more because I generally am very suspicious about those characters (more often then not, they're bad Mary Sues), and less out of a really cosplay-related reason.

Doing an OC from your own universe is something different in my eyes. The fact that you created an original world for your character is already a hint that you put some more thought into your creation.

That's my personal opinion. Not that I'd ever claim to have a right to make any rules out of that ^^. It's just how I feel.
Tenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
Dark Vision
Dark Mousy

cosplay just has an association with anime/game related recreation, but that's mostly from our side of the ocean. This a simple hobby in which no rules(unless specified by a contest, etc) are really there. You might hit the ocassional taboo-ing people, but that shouldn't restrict your choices,wishes, and fun.
Dark Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
JonnyStarwind
Your Neighborhood Outlaw

I actually saw someone cosplay as their GaiaOnline avatar.
He even had a GaiaOnline badge with his avi pic on it, and he looked spot on.
Unread 09-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #12
Watermelon

I think its a great Idea. I have several fanfic original characters I plan on cosplaying. Becuse the ammount of Characters I can cosplay withing my personal ideals is low (Ie: not alot of "Black" female characters with my complexion that I'm interested in) I make up my own.

Go for it!
Unread 09-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
Kyuriko
At Your Service

While original characters are usually (but not always) annoying to read, they're pretty cool to be seen cosplayed and can result in a variety of amusing and fun photographs. I think you should go for it, but maybe bring along a photo and perhaps the fanfiction printed out for those who get curious and don't know who you're supposed to be.

Besides, people cosplay original anime characters from their own series all the time, I don't see why fanfiction should be any exception. OC costumes are really nice to see too, a nice change from the millions of [insert character here] you'll see at a con. I say go for it.
Kyuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #14
Raver-Sakura
Mad flexible Raver Skillz

I agree, Mary Sues kinda annoy me too...
My OC is what I totally made up on my own, I dunno who I based her off of...O_o
I mean, I have created a Raver Sakura outfit but thats b/c Im in the Raver Ninja clan. ^_^;
Raver-Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #15
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

I have two semi-original designs in my portfolio, and plan on doing original designs for existing characters in the future, mainly because it gives me the oppurtunity to spread my wings and set a better budget at the same time. Mary Sue cosplay can look good, just don't force me to read the source material.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote