Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 09-11-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Sho_Saisyu

DMC Dante..

I originally posted this in the newbie section, as it was my first con this weekend. I really -want- to do a dante Cosplay, but I don't know where to start really.

I went to AnimeIowa for the first time to year and needless to say I loved it. It was my very first Con..and it was the best time of my life i've ever had. Now i've decided I want to Cosplay though.

I looked at my hair..and realized it's like a slightly shorter and sandy blonde version of Dante from Devil may cry, and i'm about medium build.

So! I've decided that..I'm going to try to cosplay Dante from Devil May Cry

( For those of you who don't know who that is, here's a few ref shots )

http://mars.walagata.com/w/miachan/dante8.jpg
http://mars.walagata.com/w/miachan/blabla2.jpg
http://mars.walagata.com/w/miachan/DMC006.jpg )

With that being said, I have no skill as a tailor. but yet..i'm not really sure where i should get started?

does anyone know where I can buy pieces of the outfit/ get it commissioned?

Aside from the weapons and boots, I have about 250 dollars stashed for it. Would that be enough?

I just generally need help..and if you can, it would be much appreciated from a second-time con goer next year who wants to play DDR as dante and have an excuse to do backflips in the hotel hallway.

------
I -really- need help! And I don't know of any cosplayers in my area. ; - ;

I don't know where to start with the red shiny fabric stuff. Wouldn't it just be easier to buy his jacket and pants? I'm just really lost and need help with that costume dissection..

--------

I guess my biggest problem is that trenchcoat. And I have no knowledge about sewing..so i'm worried I can't get it completed in 1yr.

Can anyone offer any advice? Please?
Sho_Saisyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
Melanie
That's right, worship me.

I had to make Dante's costume for my brother earlier this year, so hopefully, I'll be able to offer you some advice...

Because I had to make it quickly and cheaply, I just altered existing commercial patterns. There is a Simplicity pattern for a Matrix style trenchcoat - it has the right sort of flowy skirt that Dante has, and it also has the same sort of collar. The only thing you have to alter on it is the length of the sleeves, and add some cuffs.

It's all straight lines... a coat is an easy thing to make. ^_^

I used a fabric called Washer Satin... it's about $5 a metre, and you'll need 4 metres for the coat and pants together. It shimmers two different colours, depending on which way you look at it. I got black/red, and the folds in the coat just looked stunning in the light!

But I have seen people use all sorts of fabrics, usually velvet (or velveteen or velour) and vinyl. It just depends on what sort of look you want to go with him. But if you're new to sewing, I wouldn't recommend starting with vinyl!

There's a pic of the finished costume in my gallery, in Other Costumes... it's a group shot, and he's on the far right. I wish I had a picture of him where his guns weren't in the way of his vest! >_<

I hope I've been able to help. Any questions, please just yell out.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
halafax
Mad scientist

Actually Dante wears velvet, not satin, but satin would work too. Velvet would breath better. You can alter a pattern which if you know how works out well. My friend did Dante at Dragon Con, check out Eurobeat Kings Gallery. The front of the coat is leather, the back is velvet, but the more I think about it, we should have done a leather vest and attached sleeves. The coat is pretty simple to make, find a coat with tails pattern and lengthen the tails so that they come to your ankels. Pants are a pain to make. I hate pants. But if you can pull that off you are half way there. If you are going to start this Id see if you can pull off the coat and pants before doing anything else, otherwise you are wasting time and money.
Unread 09-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
Melanie
That's right, worship me.

Ah, I wouldn't know what his coat is made of. I've never played the game, and my brother gave me one tiny screenshot and an action figure of him to work from. >_<

But I'm glad I didn't make it out of velvet (one - my brother doesn't deserve velvet after making me work under those conditions; two - very few people can wear velvet well without looking fat; three - velvet is horrible to work with)

Why does everyone say pants are hard to make? O_o They're the easiest part of all!

It's an easy costume, Sho_Saisyu! You'll have it made in time with months to spare.

EDIT: Now the galleries are working again, here's a link to the pic -
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=310014

Last edited by Melanie : 09-16-2005 at 06:45 AM.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
halafax
Mad scientist

Thats not bad at all. Once I get around to uploading the pics, Eurobeat king took pics of me as grave and my friend who went as Dante. Not to nit pick but the coat is cut more to tails than a traditional trench. You could have been real mean and make it out of a dyed burlap.