Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Fior
Registered LUser <grins>

Full figured cosplayers

Most of my friends are cosplayers. The reason for my post is this: one of my best friends loves to cosplay with us but she feels like she stands out in a bad way because we're all fairly petite and she is full figured. I used the search feature to see if I could find a thread for larger cosplayers to show her she's not alone but I couldn't find one so I decided to start one. If you are a larger figured cosplayer or have a good friend who is, I wonder if you would just say hello here so I can show her a long list of people who think that she should keep cosplaying. She loves it so much, I don't want to see her down on herself just because she doesn't look exactly like the people she plays. After all, who among us, large or small, looks exactly like their favorite characters?
Fior is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
AmazonMandy

umm....you're searching for busty cosplayers, and this isn't supposed to sound creepy? Just tell her to wear costumes that don't accentuate the area if she's that worried about it, and enjoy.
AmazonMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
cold kittn
Your own personal stalker

w00t!!! both me and my best friend are full figured cosplayers. Even though there are cosplays that we can't do for obvious reason we still love it.

2013 Cosplay:
Flame Princess - Adventure Time
Ice Queen - Adventure Time
cold kittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Blackjack Gabbi
Merely a Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonMandy
umm....you're searching for busty cosplayers, and this isn't supposed to sound creepy? Just tell her to wear costumes that don't accentuate the area if she's that worried about it, and enjoy.
The bust is one part of the figure. She's looking for FULL figured cosplayers, ie, larger cosplayers.

Anyway, yeah. *raises hand* No need to be shy! It's all about having fun!
Blackjack Gabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
YunalescaSummon
Blurple!

Heck, I don't look anywhere NEAR most of the characters I cosplay as. Don't let it stop you, as long as the costume is made to accentuate YOUR body, not that of a stick figured 2D character. Sacrifice costume accuracy for how it'll look when you wear it.

"Conformity is for those with no imagination."
YunalescaSummon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I'm surprised the threads weren't found - there's a few on larger-sized cosplayers.

The term might have been confusing. For me, fuller figure = curvacious/hourglass, whereas larger or plus-size means just that. One can be both, obviously, but I don't know which one you mean.

You can try these threads if it's weight related....
Weight and cosplay
Overweight cosplayers

(just search the forum for them, perhaps with words like overweight. larger, plus-size, curvy...)

She can also check out CosplayPlus (a link in my sig), which is sort of like a support cosplay site for larger people to get tips and advice for costuming for their body shape.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Jujubeans
Constantly tired.

My hubby is a big guy, but that doesn't get him down. Maybe he'll find the thread here and post. His username is Evolution. Search him up. I've made some awesome costumes for him.
Unread 09-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
AmazonMandy

LOL sorry i misunderstood...i thought he was looking for teh boobies! XD

As for being big all over, who cares! Tell her to dress up, and have fun...size doesn't matter, only having fun with it, thats what cosplay is about!
AmazonMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
Rikal
$$60,000,000,000

I got bustiness from it too. Maybe that reflects poorly on us Mandy -_-.
Unread 09-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

Well, I'm a little bit full-figured and plus-sized. I've been losing weight, but I'm still too heavy. I remember once on IRC I mentioned that I wanted to cosplay as Miho (from Megatokyo) and someone made the crack that I could cosplay TWO Mihos...yeah, that kinda hurt. I did it anyway and just worked a corset into the costume.
It's not really possible to look anywhere near like most anime characters. Sailor scouts and most shoujo characters have impossibly long legs. I sure hope there are no mutants shaped like Masami Obari (Virus Buster Serge amongst others) characters running around...
Trying to find something that suits your body type is good, though (I won't be running around in a Faye Valentine outfit). Just try to find something that will look good on you (or your friend in this case) and have fun!

-Tenebrae.
Unread 09-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #11
Firu
Nintendo Fanboy

I guess its okay. I personally am not a fan of "full figured" cosplayers. But in a generic sense, I suppose if the costume is good enough then go for it. Nothing too skimpy though, that might force people to start howling. I know I have.
Unread 09-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #12
ReiRei21

I don't think it matters either. ^-^ I'm a full figure cosplayer and I have put a picture up just now when I cosplayed as Miaka...I have been trying to lose weight but couldn't fast enough for the past convention that I went too..hopefully next year I'll look different ^-^
ReiRei21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 12:18 AM   #13
Celebrimbor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
I'm surprised the threads weren't found - there's a few on larger-sized cosplayers.
Search is syntatic, not semantic. It can only reliably find things on the basis of how you pose your query, not the general topic into which you are inquiring.

When the topic was first posted, I ran a search too, for anything relevant. The problem is that, well, every thread on the topic is worded... well, it's all too p.c. to be searched for. Maybe if people would use stronger words in their titles, or the admins made it possible for search keywords to be added to threads, that wouldn't be the case.
Celebrimbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 05:02 AM   #14
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

*Waves* I'm a full figured cosplayer myself. I don't let that stop me from cosplaying characters I want to. ^_^
Unread 09-16-2005, 06:10 AM   #15
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrimbor
The problem is that, well, every thread on the topic is worded... well, it's all too p.c. to be searched for. Maybe if people would use stronger words in their titles, or the admins made it possible for search keywords to be added to threads, that wouldn't be the case.
Heh, okay...
In the interest of aiding others in their search for similar topics, I am not ashamed to say I am a fat cosplayer. I am plus-sized. I am heavyset, big-boned (actually, my bones are kinda small - it's these darned arms and thighs that are big), voluptuous, PERHAPS even rubenesque or zaftig. I am full-figured, plump, chubby, and...overweight.
Baby's got back.

Some people may find this offensive. Well, sorry - you can't please everybody. I believe there is a "Next Thread" button down at the bottom.

Last February I weighted 203 lbs.

-Tenebrae.