Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #16
Fior
Registered LUser <grins>

I want to thank you all for your kind responses, this is exactly what I expected of this wonderful and supportive community and I wasn't let down. I will gladly show her this thread and I hope it cheers her up to know that she is not alone.
For the record: I was NOT just looking for large breasted cosplayers.

Last edited by Fior : 09-16-2005 at 09:44 AM. Reason: noticed typing error
Fior is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2005, 10:34 AM   #17
AlphaNinn
I am me?

I too am a full-figured,plump,chubby,pudgy, whatever you want to call it cosplayer. Most cases, all it takes to make most most any costume flattering is a few extra inches of material here...a looser cut there, stuff like that.

For example, I just made a ballgown that was supposed to sort of cup my boobs and poof and go really straight and tight down my stomach.If I wore that, the cup of the chest would go in deeper than the stomach piece, and I'd look pregnant. With a few alterations - I lost accuracy, but I had a flattering costume that people still recognized and seemed to like.
AlphaNinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #18
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Thumbs up Tell your friend to go for it.

I am a plus sized cosplayer and I know alot of other fantastic cosplayers who are too. There are always going to be people who are going to try and make you feel like ass because you're not even near the ideal weight of the character you are portraying, but you know what? That's thier problem. I don't give a rats bottom if people think I shouldn't costume, it's really none of thier buisness, they can always look elsewhere.

Tell your friend not to be shy, give it a try; costume, wear it, and there are people who will love it! And if you guys make her feel like an important part of the group she will have a bang up time.
Goddess sized girls got it goin' on !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrimbor
Search is syntatic, not semantic. It can only reliably find things on the basis of how you pose your query, not the general topic into which you are inquiring.

When the topic was first posted, I ran a search too, for anything relevant. The problem is that, well, every thread on the topic is worded... well, it's all too p.c. to be searched for. Maybe if people would use stronger words in their titles, or the admins made it possible for search keywords to be added to threads, that wouldn't be the case.

Too P.C? What would you like in the title? "I AM A FATASS?" Honestly -_-". Celebrimbor, you have no interest in truely being helpful to this girl as anyone who has been on cosplay.com for any length of time is aware of your loathing of overweight cosplayers.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 09-19-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #19
Alexia Ishtar
aka - Chibi Lenne

Y'know what, why shouldn't overweight or "Full Figured" people cosplay? It doesn't mean a thing. Come on, we're just as pretty as any sticky string bean cosplayer. *raises hand* I am and probably always will be a Full Figured girl, and I don't mind, I'm pleased with how I look. Besides, anime girls, video game girls are unnaturally small. All I can say is you won't catch me running around in some skimpy barely hold your breasts in costume. The Lulu one was bad enough.

I give your friend a hug and suppor her 110% to keep up her cosplay. Its for her enjoyment afterall, not others.

Need a Hogwarts Robe?
Alexia Ishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #20
makonurikoryoko

I am certianly quite larger than many of the ladies cosplaying, but its all about, for me anyway, dressing up as a character I love or relater to and I just try to have fun. I certainly don't look like a skinny little 16 year old but i'll dress up like Full moon anyway!
makonurikoryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #21
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

I'm not full figured myself, but i've seen tones of pictures of full figured cosplayers all over the internet - pretty much as many full figured ones as skinny ones, so its kinda odd to hear u cant find any.
Unread 09-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #22
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

YunalescaSummon is right. You just have to make the costume to flatter your body. Everyone has something unique about their body that they have to adjust for everything to fit right. Some people have rounded shoulders, shorter waist, large chest. It's even more imortant for us big girls to cut things to look right on us.

I've always been a firm believer in changing a costume slightly to look actually look better on you. No matter if you are skinny, short, young, old. No one is going to walk up and say "I think her skirt is 1 inch shorter, or his hair curls up, down,and twice in front, or that is not hugging your stomach right." People, unless they are obssessed with all the features of one character, (a few people like that do exist) are just going to notice how good it looks rather than a couple of adjustments. The mind just works that way.

After all, why go through all that trouble to make a really accurate costume when the body type of the character doesn't match yours perfectly and it ends up fitting like you put a potato sack on?

I personally have to add 7 inches to dresses, 3 to skirts, and 4 to pants because of my height. I also leave a little more room for my thighs too. I usually have to take in the sides in at at higher curve because of where my waist is.
Unread 09-17-2005, 12:51 AM   #23
rhichan
Rhi, 'Nuff Said

Going on what CosplayGabi said, if you alter it right, it really won't be that noticable to all but the most anal to details.
For example, a Sunseenli did Tifa. Since Sunseenli is full figured (and totally hot I might add), she used a full leotard for it and made the skirt slightly longer in her costume. I didn't notice she'd made any alterations on that part until I was thinking about how you could make Tifa work for a larger woman.
I'm full figured myself, and try to look for styles of costumest that flatter my body type. That means that I may end up doing some pretty obscure outfits of a character, but that makes it more fun for me! (I enjoy people being confused and the occasional, "HAY THAT'S NOT WHAT THAT CHARACTER WEARS!" Just means I'm spreading interest to find out exactly what part of the series my outift came from! <3)
Things like school fuku with a slightly longer skirt and gowns work great! (Fuku are also great for beginner cosplayers!) The bows that most girls wear in anime take away from the bust area and pleated skirts look great on everyone!
What also looks great are dresses that flare out a few inches below the bust line. This makes the thighs/ass look slightly thinner and the flare line takes attention away from the bust.
Colour and fabric choice is also something to be aware of. Matte fabrics and darker colours are flattering on larger bodies. (There's a reason they say everyone should have a little black dress!) Also, sticking to colours that go with her skin tone will work, too.

"Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before."

Enchanted
rhichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 01:06 AM   #24
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Unfortunately for bigger people costumes often need to be more complicated and better-made to give enough support and look good. For example, supportive undergarments, especially corsets, really help smooth things out and give a nice line. Mind you I think everybody should put boning in their bodices, whether large or not, but bigger people need to use sturdier fabrics and steel boning. I learned that the hard way when making a corset for a friend of mine - it needed a lot more support and reinforcement than I was used to.

It *is* possible to be a larger person and still look great in costumes - it just usually takes more effort. And I agree 100% with the above comments that people need to evaluate what costumes will look good on them and make any modifications in order to make costumes more flattering. ^_^

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 06:00 PM   #25
Cynthia

As a plus-sized cosplayer, I can say for certain that there's tons of them. And there's lots of great ones too! You just have to look a lil harder ^_~
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #26
Misty Eyes
wanna adopt a cosplayer?

i can't really say i'm overweight because i don't wear plus-size clothing. but i have the same insecurites as everyone else. when i took photos in my costume i practically freaked because i thought my arms were too big and my stomach wasn't hidden well enough. but everyone was so encouraging and told me how great i looked so i figured that if it's beautiful to other people than it should be more than beautiful for myself. truth be told, i did alter the costume so that it would fit me better which gave up points for accuracy but i'm glad i did it.
Misty Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #27
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I'm showing my sister this thread! She thinks she can't join in on my cosplay fun because she's full-figured. I hope this opens her eyes! I'm so happy everyone here seems to be so supportive of one another *clap clap*
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #28
Edtel

Yep, I'm also a plus-sized cosplayer. There's one costume I really want to do that I just can't with this body shape, but I can live with that and do other characters I like just as much (I have many costumes I want to do). I also have a friend who is plus-sized, a seasoned cosplayer and has won many awards for it. So your friend certainly should not give up on cosplay if she really enjoys it.
Edtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 01:29 PM   #29
Evolution

Ah, being a big guy...

I don't LOOK like the Undertaker, I'm not the same skin color, same race, I don't have the same hair length as him, I don't have blue eyes or tattoos...I'm not the size of a Tonberry, I walk straight up...

My point...Go with what you want to do...let people worry about themselves...some people may disagree and say that what I'm saying is what a "tool" would say (oh yeah, you don't think that's gonna go away soon now do you?) but it's costume PLAY...so have some fun and play...remember; it's a Con....you'll see these people maybe for the weekend and then never again in some cases, so who the hell cares!!!
Unread 09-26-2005, 03:10 AM   #30
jai

I can relate to this thread. I think on the most part, it's okay to cosplay. I'm plus sized, and I've cosplayed Anbu (I don't like how huge my arms are, so I used super long black arm warmers). I've also cosplayed Bleach and those costumes will hide *everything*, especially if you cosplay as one of the captains.

I'm going to attempt FF7 AC (Yazoo) next and here, I wince because well, he's a stick. But I'm already thinking about ways of altering the costume. First, it's made of pleather, which will hang well and not cling to the body, and I'm planning to make the bottom half of the costume fuller, so it'll accomodate my hips. I may also try to make the shoulder pad-things a bit more broad to balance things out. It won't be dead-on accurate, but I think it will look better.

So this is a long-winded way to say that I think people should not avoid cosplay because they are plus sized. Often, finding characters with full costumes that will hide the body shape or finding ways to alter costumes slightly will result is awesome cosplays. Of course, supportive underwear is always a good idea, no matter what size you are because it lets your costumes "skim" over your body.
jai is offline   Reply With Quote