Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Oni-Con

Unread 09-21-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
Iwakuralain16
Dream Is Destiny

Hurricane Rita... x_x

Does anyone think the hurricane will affect the convention in October? It isnt until a month from now, but depending on damages you never know...
Iwakuralain16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-21-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
rabidfanboy
Otokogurui

Here's what the webmaster at the oni-con board had to say:

Quote:
Honestly Shrin, we can't say at this point. Oni-Con SHOULD still happen, but if we have a majoring catastrophic event ala New Orleans then all bets are off.

That said, I don't see that happening. Houston, especially the area near the hotel, is fairly far away from where Rita is expected to make landfall. The storm should move through quickly and therefore won't be able to dump as much water on downtown as Allison did, keeping the areas near the Astrodome from flooding too terribly.

The Park Plaza has been around for a LONG time, back when buildings were made more solidly, it should still be standing just fine after she blows through.

The hotel would have a month to renovate and clean up if anything were to happen, and I'm sure they'll do all within their power to get it ready for the convention. They really want us there and know they'd loose money if they're unable to fix 'er back up if anything happens to the structure.

Most likely what will happen is that Oni-Con will still take place and the hotel might just smell a little musty from carpet that got wet or something of that nature.

We will, of course, keep everyone informed after the storm in case plans change, but as of right now we’re still planning on having our scheduled staff meeting on Sunday – see how dedicated we are?

Let’s just say this – as long as the Park Plaza is still standing, we’re still on for sure. If it’s not, then we’ll figure out a backup plan. Really not that concerned that we’ll need a plan B, but I don't want to be overly confident either.
I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, but they are saying this is the third most intense hurricane on record. Hopefully the city won't take too much damage.

~rabidfanboy.com | Adventures in Cosplaying~
rabidfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
ZakuKitty
Don't die, Lloyd.

As long as Houston does not take the direct hit it should be fine in my opinion. Galveston is the one that needs to worry.

ZakuKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
ayn*chan
Not easy being orange

Agreed. And the Park Plaza Hotel is pretty solid, at worst they might suffer some broken glass but they still have a month to clean that all up before the convention. I wouldn't worry yet.
Unread 09-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Angel_Rinoa
Air Force Girl

It all depends on the path of the hurricane, if its a direct hit or if it goes father away from houston. Hopefully it won't hit as hard and damage much, but if it does they may change the date, who knows.
Unread 09-22-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
Malicious

eek!!! i hope it doesn't hit houston bad X_x my family's staying here....... how bout any of you guys?
Malicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
ZakuKitty
Don't die, Lloyd.

Rita is now a category 4 last I heard and it should not be hitting Houston directly...poor Galveston though...>>

Unread 09-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
Angel_Rinoa
Air Force Girl

Yeah, they said it's decreasing and turning more northward. I'm probably staying, don't know yet. I feel bad for the Louisana, I think they're going to be hit agian.
Unread 09-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
SwordsWoman
SANITY is FOR the WEAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakuKitty
Rita is now a category 4 last I heard and it should not be hitting Houston directly...poor Galveston though...>>
its now a category 5... thy're going to need more help now.

takura lives near housten.... damn storms >_>
With nothing to fight her with, he got into a defensive stance, only showing one side towards her. When he looked at her she was…isn’t she? Yes, she was, Dreyia was laughing at him. She had that soul ripping, evil laugh. She was, again, mocking him for being weak. He hated it with a passion.
-only those willing to die for what they lost to her, will face her. She is death. She is desire. She is what makes this world hell to those creatures.
SwordsWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #10
ZakuKitty
Don't die, Lloyd.

It was a category 5 until today. Like an hour or two ago it was a 4. >>

Yeah my parents live in Houston. Thankfully they live on the west side of Houston that isn't supposed to be flooded.

Last edited by ZakuKitty : 09-22-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Unread 09-22-2005, 11:22 PM   #11
Tenya Muyo
Mad as a Hatter XD

Well, it's dropped down to 4 again, and still turning more towards the east. I'm guessing we'll all have a better picture of where it's going tomorrow morning. At this point in time, i could really care less about whether the con may be postponed or cancelled; I just want everyone to be safe, where ever this thing shoule land! Seriously. Please, mina-san, be careful.

Wait..... why IS a raven like a writing desk....
Tenya Muyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
ZakuKitty
Don't die, Lloyd.

Yeah I hope my parents and my friends back in Houston will be alright.

Unread 09-23-2005, 09:41 AM   #13
HackerEd

They put my town (pearland) under mandatory evacuation, and still some of my friends are staying. I'm hoping they're ok, we left on wednesday after we realized that we were 2 miles from the mandatory evacuation zone then...Ed is in Tulsa. We had to come this far to get a hotel that would take pets.
Advent Cirno

Possible:
Kuchiha - Amatsuki
Hatsune Miku - "Hold, Release"
HackerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #14
Raver-Sakura
Mad flexible Raver Skillz

I heard Hurricane Rita is MYABE heading towards Louisiana...oh joyus.. T_T

All we can do is hope for the best though guys, Im sure we'll be going to Onicon! :3 dont give up hope! Yeah! xD

Anyways,
I'll look up some stuff and update on how it is from time to time when I can, but all I can tell now is that it is a C-4 and the winds are pretty much slowing down too. *insert random cheering here* Just wish it wont hurt LA too bad..cause I have family there and they are staying.. T_T But if it DOES head towards them they're leaving and Im going to have alloottt of people hogging up my house hold..yay?
Raver-Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #15
Etsu
Jen-of-All-Trades

The lastest news from the Nat'l Hurricane Center is that Rita is currently borderline Category 3 and 4. On it's current course, it will make landfall early Saturday near SW Louisiana and upper Texas coasts.

My parents took me and a friend back home to Southlake (Dallas area). The drive took 20 hours. x_x
original writing and art
blog about Japanese culture
Etsu is offline   Reply With Quote