Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-25-2002, 02:12 PM   #1
ling_xiaoyu2002
Summoner of Dragons

Anyone in your a family a complete computer whizz or nerd???

Hiya,
My family has four of them they go in this order:

Calvin (My dad)
Uncle Ronnie (My uncle obviously)
Randy (That's my brother)
and there is me (I refuse to give off my real name...)

That is it...everyone else is either never seen a comp. in their life or really sucks at them....I mean not to be mean or anything but my mom used to be a frequent comp. user up until we moved into this house now the comp. is in my room. and she barely uses it anymore...she used to know this really well but now needs help in it e-mail....but that's okay....I guess....bye!!

-The Agency
ling_xiaoyu2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2002, 03:12 PM   #2
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

I'm a software engineer... so I guess I am the nerd of the family.

^____^
Unread 07-25-2002, 03:19 PM   #3
Tenjou

I am, but since I have the "knowledge" (lol) I usually get blamed for EVERYTHING. my dad's like, "the computer's running slow today... what did you download?" or "this website isn't moving fast enough. I'm deleting all of your files!" or "aol froze! did you download a virus?"

@_@

yep, that's my life. @_@
Unread 07-25-2002, 03:27 PM   #4
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

That'd be me. I'm the neighborhood computer guy. Going to Widener U. for computer engineering.
And I am slowly training my brother to become as Windows-literate as me... so my dad can bug him to fix the comp instead of me e.e;
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 03:38 PM   #5
OneWinged09

oooooooooooo

I'm good with comps..... but I'm not a comp geek, like I don't know my HTMl and stuff but I know how most of the things work and all that.
Unread 07-25-2002, 03:56 PM   #6
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Got a Bachelors in Computer Science. Been mainframe programming a couple of years, now retraining for web.

My brother, father and uncle all are more computer hardware inclined then I. I rather learn about the software.

My sister is okay with a computer software. My mom did some COBOL when I was little, she is trying to learn windows PC now on my old computer.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 03:58 PM   #7
Quies
Insanity's Realm

my brother is. he builds comps and such.
i'd like to saw i'm next, but my mom has high scale skills at some progarms and wrote the manal for a program of the company she was working at.
Unread 07-25-2002, 04:02 PM   #8
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

I'm only the geek in my family when my brother's busy. He writes for a Mac news site (I'll refrain from plugging ^^), and most of our conversations revolve around him telling me what the newest gadget is. But I am responsible for solving the family's computer emergencies. I don't know that much about computers, I suppose, but I know more than your average joe. We've had computers in the house for a long time, although my brother totally dominated it in the early years of my life. He published the first online magazine on Compuserve actually, if I remember right (he was about 13 at the time, lol). Of course, I don't know a thing about Wintels anymore, been too long since I've used one. But I do know basic HTML and such.
Unread 07-25-2002, 04:07 PM   #9
Ina
har har har

let see....... dad and me ^_^ my mom took computer classes for two years already and she still, er, isn't good at all.
Ina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 04:09 PM   #10
pookie-kun
neko-boy extraordinaire!

My dad's a decent enough geek, I suppose.. He's got his masters in computer science ... Myself, I just built 6 computers for him to pay my way to otakon @.@ ... I'm also planning on majoring in either computer science or computer animation, so... ^^ ... I wish I could go into an IT field while I'm in college, though. I'm decent in HTML (not a wizz.. can't do ubercool things like DHTML and Javascript)... but I'm more of a writer, really.. I did some work for a few years in High School with Borland C++ ... for DOS. Oh, and PASCAL too.. ha! ... My mom isn't really a computer person, she's got her MS office cert though.

So, I guess it goes in this order:
Dad
Me

... heh!

Your daily dose of the reality that is my imagination.
pookie-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 05:54 PM   #11
Cynthia

I know how to fix comps. (hardward and software installation), I can do adv. html, and I have some internet skills.

My dad's good at some computer stuff, but he's not as good as me. And my brother doesn't know jack even thought all he does is use the comp. for his stupid online games.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 10:40 PM   #12
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

If anyone in my family qualified as a comp whizz, it would be me. I used to be a MIS major, but I quit when Visual Basic put me to sleep. So I can't program anything (unless you count HTML and CSS) but I know enough to get offended when Mom calls tech support ^^;;.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 02:41 AM   #13
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

I am the local house PC nerd. I don't like PC programming, becuase it's hard excpet for VB, becuase I grew up playing on PC with BASIC.

Right now I'm in school for Network Engineering. And to those who are Comp Sci peeps, I give you credit.

BTW, anyone here know VB? I'm working on a secret project...
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Ranma Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 03:02 AM   #14
Mikagami
Mizu no Kenshi....

As far as I know, my brother's the only true computer whiz/nerd in my family. He got his Bachelor of Science in computer science and thus has good programming skills, as well as experience in hardware and computer repair.

I only consider myself a half-nerd in computers. I suck at programming (I changed out of comp. sci. after a bad experience with C++), but do have some experience with Fortran and some Java. I know HTML, but most of it is rather easy. But I do know more than t he average user about how computers work and hardware and the like.

And I'm typing this at 4AM, so excuse me if it's a bit incoherent. ^_^;
Mikagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 07:11 AM   #15
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> BTW, anyone here know VB? I'm working on a secret project...

Well I used to do development in VB but I haven't in quite a while so I don't know how useful I could be. ^___^