Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Unread 09-25-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
sugarbabi513

Cosplaying Saiyuki/FMA/Chrno Crusade?

If you're cosplaying any characters from the title animes, PLEASE help me ^_^;

Does anyone have ANY advice on how to make a Goku, FMA military uniform, and/or Azmaria costume? This is only my second time cosplaying, and so yes, I'm a pathetic noob with no costuming skills. There, I said it. ^_^;

I'd just like some tips on what kind of fabric to use, any conventional patterns that might help, and how to adjust patterns to fit. Or, you can just tell me ANYTHING you know about making costumes for the above characters...

Thank you so much in advance!

Unread 09-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
Trumby
Greed-o

Well I can give you the best resource I have found for the military uniform. Just depends on which character you want to do and all that jazz.

http://www.storms-end.com/cosplay/hagaren_uniforms/
Trumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
sugarbabi513

Oh, hey, cool. That will be pretty helpful, thanks.
Unread 09-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
sylus
its a conspiricy

Talking

goku is a hard one to descibe how to do but once you get into it its rather simple. break down the parts of the costume. theres the cape, the coller/muffler thing, the red top shirt with shoulder pad's, and the power limiter. the advice i can give u is that foamboard is your friend, you can find it i know at joan fabrics. get gold paint and paint it the right coloer. use elastic on the back of the limeter and use 2 layers on the front. i can send u pics if you need to see what i cant describe... also if u need help with the power pole i've made a few of them so let me know K. (goku is very fun to cosplay)
sylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
sugarbabi513

Ooh thanks, foamboard, huh? Sure, if it isn't too much trouble I'd like to see some pics. And any tips on the nyoi-bo would be great! Thanks in advance.
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
sylus
its a conspiricy

i'll get u pics once i can figure out where i put them. but yah for the power pole. sad to say i found something verry simple but when u tell someone they look at u funny. i bought a extendable curtan rod for the main part and ping pong balls for the ends.u have to take apart the pole and sand the 2 halves downbefore painting them, and spray paint works well.then glue the ping pong balls on with garilla glue or tacky glue, (strong stuff) then i would sugest using gold nail polish for the ends. i tryed it once with paint and it took them about three weeks to dry and way too many head ackes, but nail polish dryes quick and with 2 coats it looks good. and that is a effective way to make a power pole. the only down side is that you wont wanna put pressure on the ends or grab the ends when picking it up. my friend broke mine when she was goofing off. but it shouldent be too big of a problem.
hope it works for u.
Unread 09-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
sugarbabi513

Oooh, hey that's a really good idea! I wouldve never thought of that lOlz. Sankyuuu~!
Unread 09-27-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
sylus
its a conspiricy

no problem. it's my favoret part of the costume!
Unread 10-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #9
sugarbabi513

*Sneaky BumP*
Unread 10-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
sylus
its a conspiricy

nice sneeky bumb.
ok sry still cant find where the pics of my costume part are so cant show u a pic of the crown. sry.
but i was curious as to if u've started work on the costume? or the others. if u still need help on the azumaria i know someone who is planing on making that one and i can find out what they do.
i'll keep serching for the pics
Unread 10-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #11
sugarbabi513

^_^ Thanks, sylus, and it's ok about the pics. I have a better idea of how to do Goku now =]

As for the others...still havent started anything yet *sigh* I am a major nOObie at this lOlz...I barely know how to sew or use a pattern hehe... But I can be pretty ambitious. So, I'll still be looking around to see what I can do and hopefully learn more so there'll actually be improvement in my costuming XD;
Unread 10-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
sugarbabi513

...any more advice? I'm going fabric shopping soon...so any particular fabrics that have worked well for you in the past?
Unread 10-10-2005, 02:55 PM   #13
sylus
its a conspiricy

i would say cotton is always good and stay away from lycra if u can its a pain to sew. also shiny fabrics may look pritty but they gat anoying after a while. a good tip is to see how thick of a fabric it is thick fabric tends to sew easer. also beware of of easy to ravel material. anything else is fair game.
Unread 10-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #14
Berserker_Hime
Crossplay Queen

1) Son Goku-For the limiter be sure to have your hair done in proper Goku style before you try fitting it. A friend of mine cosplayed Goku and he got horrible tension headaches because of the limiter. The shoulder pads you also need to work on so that they aren't really hard or anything or dangerous when getting glomped. Also for the Nyoi-bou(power pole) a good bo staff would be a nice sturdy rod to use. Only problem is that it is counted as a weapon by most con security. The Nyoi-bou also changes into a Sansekkon which is a Three part staff. I wish you luck on your Goku cosplay/crossplay.

2)Riza Hawkeye-Don't really have any pointers for you other than don't let the Roy's take advantage. They're shameless.

3)Azmaria Hendrich-What version are you planning on doing? The outfit that she's first seen in? The pink and white very short nun like outfit? The outfit that Satella Harvenheit (Hexen dur Juwel) puts her in the manga or the official nun outfit from the end of the anime series? Since she goes through about 7 outfits all together it might help to know which one your going for because I have reference to all of those outfits.

Good luck on them.
Berserker_Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #15
sugarbabi513

For Goku I plan on getting a wig, so I'll be sure to have the wig on before making any measurements for the limiter. I've just started getting materials for the costume.

For Riza...I'll be careful bout them Roys XD.

And for Azmaria, I plan on doing her pink and white dress. I only have two ref pictures for that one, though.