Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 09-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
Forcebewitya
Fashion Assassin

Night time Photography?

Hi, I've never really took high quality pictures of my costumes, (I had a professional do some shots of my Jedi costume along with my senior pics), but for my new costumes I'm planning on going outdoors for most all the shots. Some I need to do in bright sunlight (trying to simulate Tatooine from Star Wars), and the others are from Resident Evil. So I was wondering if anyone had tried doing night time photography and how to make it look good not just dakness and then an obvious flash illuminating the character. Anyway I guess any suggestions about taking photos in either bright sunlight or Dusk-Darkness lighting conditions would be great thanks.

Forcebewitya.
Forcebewitya is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

Higher ISO or longer exposure with weaker flash. You can also use Night mode on some cameras. It will try to do these things for you. You can also use ligth sources in an imaginative way. Have you ever been on a movie set? It's really not as dark as it looks in those horror movies. Try different things and you'll see.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 01:11 AM   #3
skypirate
There are four lights!

Some portable gold reflectors and somebody to hold them would probably help in both situations.

A good tripod for the dusk/night shots.

An amber gel (film) over your flash could possibly enhance a sunset by only illuminating the subject with the filtered light, rather than the standard whitish flash.

If you're patient, you'll probably benefit by going manual and bracketing your shots. The automatic and program settings on your camera, at their default settings are probably going to fight with the results you're trying to get.
Unread 09-30-2005, 05:38 PM   #4
Forcebewitya
Fashion Assassin

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Forcebewitya.
Forcebewitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
shiroin
Banned

tripod, slow flash and long exposure shoud help. if you want the background to not stand out as much then stronger flash and less exposure.
shiroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

This is where good indirect lighting could help. Using reflectors as mentioned earlier, to bathe the subject in soft light is one way. Using dual slave units set at about 3 meters bouncing off reflectors to give "shallow" lighting could give you a good effect. You may have to experiment abit. The key is to avoid the harsh lighting that most flash units will give you. Good Luck.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote