Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 10-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
Crystalike
:3

Deciding on Poses...by the Photographer, or You?

Hello all, I've been photographed a few times at some cons, but I never know whether I should tell the photographer how I want to pose in my pictures.

Is it YOU or the PHOTOGRAPHER who decides on how you pose in your costumes and photos?

In one incident I remember is how the photographer and I were standing around, wasting time trying to decide what poses I should do, and we wasted 15 min. like that...so, is the cosplayer supposed to tell the photographer what angle, this closeup, with the focus on the prop, etc?

One more point I have is that the photographer may not know much about your character, and may simply want a photo of the costume, not caring much about how you pose. But telling the person how to take your pictures would seem a little bossy, and so...what do you guys think? ^_^
Crystalike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Kaze no Yume
kachosen!!!

Although telling them what to do might be a little bossy, but it is perfectly understandable. You didn't make the costume of a certain character for nothing. Most of us here either loved the character or the costume and how to pose is definitely related to how you show the character or the costume. So, on the note of being too bossy, I think most photographers wouldn't mind. Their goal is to to take nice pictures, after all.

Or, you can also insist to do a pose first, then let the photographer decide whether to take photos of other poses.

One important thing is to let them know that they can take more than just one picture, so if you decide one pose it would be ok.
Kaze no Yume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
shiroin
Banned

well... im more like a beginner when it comes to cosplay photography... and i dont know about sitituations in North American cons, but then here are some of my experiences.

In Japan, what often happens is this:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/22102502/
http://www.deviantart.com/view/22384600/

you get like dozens of people photographing few cosplayers
most of the times these cosplayers would jst do their own pose (and they are good at them) and sometimes people would ask them to pose.
but since there is a large number of photographers, they would often ask the cosplayers to look at their camera for the sake for better photographs.
also often photographers would bring samirai swords, model firearms, guitars and other items for the cosplayers to pose with.

sometimes cosplayers in japan even do erotic poses volunteerly XD
http://www.deviantart.com/view/22102630/
http://www.deviantart.com/view/22102642/
shiroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
skypirate
There are four lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalike
One more point I have is that the photographer may not know much about your character, and may simply want a photo of the costume, not caring much about how you pose. But telling the person how to take your pictures would seem a little bossy, and so...what do you guys think? ^_^
Quickest answer?
When a photographer asks if they can take your photo, simply ask if they would like more than one pose. viola!

Last edited by skypirate : 10-01-2005 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Putting answer into context
skypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
KawaiiEdea
nice in a mean way

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate
Quickest answer?
When a photographer asks if they can take your photo, simply ask if they would like more than one pose. viola!
That's a good point, because I've been asked to be photographed before and I wasn't sure (after a longer than normal pause..) whether to strike a different pose or not @_@ I'll make it point to ask next time I'm at a con!

Animazement 2008!!!!
Gwendolyn- Odin Sphere
Ruby- FFIX
Nurse- SH3
KawaiiEdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Again... it all depends...

If this is a paid model, then I call the shots... end of story.
He/she is only bound by what is ethical and what is legal.

If it's a con shot, everything is gratis, then the cosplayer can call the shots...
I make recomendations based on the environment and my expierence, but all in all they get to say yes or no.

If it's a favor to the cosplayer (I want some pics for myself sort of thing)
Then it's their game all the way. I agreed to do it, so I have to live with the consequences. Again, I can recommend, but not command. But I too am bound by what is legal and ethical, because you won't believe the kind of pictures you get asked to do.

TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa

Last edited by tfcreate : 10-01-2005 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Grammar.... aaarrrggghhh!!!!
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

As a photographer, for conshots I usually let the cosplayer choose the pose - only asking them to change if I spot things like they are blocking face with something. If I really like the costume and have time (and memory/batteries), may ask them if they would do another pose or if I could take another angle of pose doing.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
cold kittn
Your own personal stalker

As a attendie and fellow cosplayer, when I ask to take pictures of other cosplayers I let them chose the pose. Only once have I told someone to do something and that's because they wouldn't fit in the shot. I study character poses so when people ask for my picture it'll be recognizable.

2013 Cosplay:
Flame Princess - Adventure Time
Ice Queen - Adventure Time
cold kittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
Captain Gundam

Lightbulb

I let the cosplayer decide. I dont want them to be in a pose that they dont like. I barely say what pose he/she/they be in. It's up to them not me. i dont make anything out of it, i just take pics for fun and get some experience with taking pictures.
Unread 10-02-2005, 01:33 AM   #10
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

Some cosplayers don't know how to pose and they'll ask the photographer, which is great because it often comes out silly most of the time.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 02:34 AM   #11
Forcebewitya
Fashion Assassin

I dont always know how to pose but I have never been asked to do a certain pose other than put my arm around someone.

Forcebewitya.
Forcebewitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 06:52 AM   #12
Tenchan
Puppy

For my part, that depends on the purpose of the photo. If it is a photo to specifically show off my costume and how I hold myself in it, I will chose the poses, end of story. It is my costume, after all.
If it is, however, a photo that is, say, supposed to be a memory of the con or of my attendance there, then I will trust a good photographer to be able to put me in the best light.

Where I come from, you don't just go and touch a stranger. Glomp me without asking, and I'll forget my manners.
Tenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #13
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

I like it when photographers give me a little direction. After all, I can't really see what I'm doing, and they can. They might also have ideas I never thought of or didn't want to do originally. While wearing Sailor Uranus, I really didn't want to do a World Shaking-type pose because I thought it always looked silly. But my friends convinced me to do it, and now it's one of my favorite pictures of the costume ^^;;.

So as long as they're not suggesting anything lewd or rude, directions from photogs are a good thing .

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #14
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

As someone who both photographs and cosplays, I think it should be a team effort. When I photograph I'll let the cosplayer choose their pose, but I'll then make suggestions on how to fix it if their pose covers up their face, takes up too much room, doesn't look very flattering... Since I also like to take multiple photos, I'll suggest poses, since many cosplayers don't have more then one pose (Which you should! Always practice at least three or four poses per costume!). When I'm being photographed, I love getting suggestions from the photographer, since I don't know exactly what he has in mind as far as composition goes (every photographer has their own style) and I don't know how I look from the camera side of things. My favorite photograph (the one I made my avatar out of) was done on suggestion by a photographer.
Unread 10-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
Yueri

Once upon a time some uy asked me for a picture and I posed, then later he told me "ok, now one normal" I felt kinda ridiculuos and just stood there looking bored.

I realized just them some so called "photographers" dont care about the posesm they just want a pic of our boobs *stare*