Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
SpaurhSpoor

Cool How did this get all started

hello, my name is crystal and my question how did all this cosplay thing get started? (If there alreay a topic about this already, I sorry I stared this and this my first time on forms) What was the very first cosplay?
SpaurhSpoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

I know it was explained here on the forums in lenght at some point, but I can't seem to find it. It might even have been moved to the FAQ's which seem to be down at the moment. However what I would tell you is here:

Just scroll down to Costuming and Cosplay - What's the difference?

We've repeated this many times here. Enjoy!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
SpaurhSpoor

Oh that good

Oh that good, though coming get in trouble on my first day and thank for posting the link about the history of cosplay.
Unread 10-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
SnowCalla

Soem would argue that although costuming at WoldCon and a few other places atarted in the late 30's early 40's....CosPlay...actually taking on the persona of the charactor portrayed...was started and gained widespread acceptance? use? was at the Rocky Horror Picture. People didn't just dress like the characters in the movie, they acted like them and acted the movie out.
SnowCalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

To be honest, Star Trek.

I think Trekkies started the trend, which the Japanese nerd adopted, and our nerds got into it as well.

Makes you think, don't it.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

SpaurhSpoor, Your conscienciousness does you credit, however no worries, you are in no trouble at all.

Unless you are a mod or a dedicated 24/7 cruiser of cosplay.com it would be impossible to have intimate knowledge of all the threads ever started here. Innocent duplication of topics are always going to happen.

SnowCalla & Starwind824, excellent observations and both nobel additions in the tradition of fan costume play. (I especially like the comment on Rocky Horror which is so often overlooked as a fan costume play phenomenon which has made it into the main stream conciousness. ).

We were speaking however of the origins of costume play which predates both these events by at least two decades.

Cheers!
~Kai

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
SpaurhSpoor

Hmm

I found this all amazing!

Always try to be nice people and don't allow hate to destory your heart and your joy of life.

Currently working on my first cosplay as Lafiel from Crest of the Stars. 1% finished