Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 07-25-2002, 09:48 PM   #1
antiswanky

a little more plugsuit help

I hope i'm not annoying anyone (i'm very new to cosplay. the tako con this december will be my very first time!)
I'm doing Kaworu from Evangelion.
Should i use straight spandex for my costume? I'd rather not, heh, but what fabric would be tough enough to have a stretch to it but not be uncomfortably clingy? also, should i stuff the backpack?
(sorry!!)

Unread 08-19-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
PsychoShinji
Then..where's my reality?

Don't worry, everyone here is really happy to talk about costumes. ^_^ Welcome, by the way! I'm really excited to hear that you are working on a Kaworu plugsuit. ^^!!!! Anyway, I hate to say this, but I think that spandex would probably be the only way to get the suit to fit properly. Not that I've tried anything else, but I can't think of anything that would work as an alternative...-_- The backpack is something that I've had trouble with, but I'd say stuffing it would make it more comfortable if you are doing a hard armored backpack. It depends on if you want to put in a zipper through the pack or if you just want to wear it over the rest of the plugsuit... I hope that helped a little at least. ^_^
PsychoShinji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
Solo
Mou

Lycra (that stuff that they use to make swimsuits) might also work as an alternative to spandex but if the con is during decemeber you might be better off going in spandex.
Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 10:23 PM   #4
SynVanSiWes
Et Kan Nu.

Remember that stretchy fabric can either stretch one way, or both ways. It's similar to the way paper has a grain. Spandex has stretch in both directions, fabrics that only stretch one direction can cause complications if you need a lot of give to them.
SynVanSiWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
djmihoshi
I have misplaced my pants

GAAAAH! Kaoru! Send me pics when you're all done ^_^. I've never seen a plugsuit Karou before.
For my plugsuit I used this crazy vinyl bodysuit I found around Halloween time at Party City. It worked pretty well, but it was really-überly-spaztastically hot (Think being stuck in a giant red ziploc bag in texas in summer. Not good). Never underestimate those tiny little halloween stores that only last about a month. I went in there and they had TONS of bodysuit type things. As for the backpack...hm...mine was hollow and made of cardboard and it seemed to work nicely. It's just the straps I had trouble with.
djmihoshi is offline   Reply With Quote