Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 10-06-2005, 01:57 AM   #1
Essenceofaaron

Waraji Tutorial(bleach)pictures yay!

Alright so i figured i might as well attempt at making a totorial about these things, since a lot of people are cosplaying as Bleach characters.

there arent very many sites out there that sell waraji in the style that people are looking for, so i made my own.

So first of all. what you will need
----------
a board: about 5 or so inches wide x 1.5 times the length of your foot
6 nails
hammer
about 70 feet if the rope of your choice
--------------

Step 1: make sure you have your board, nails, and hammer. nail them into the shape as seen in the picture below

Step 2: Wrap your rope around the nails as shown, making sure to leave a little bit of extra at the end.

Step 3: Bring in a second piece of rope(this is where most of your rope will be used). lay it next to one of the ends of the rope as shown in the diagram.

Step 4: wrap the second rope around the first, along the side with the extra length of rope

Step 5: Start to weave. make sure to go: Over, Under, Over, Under... and so on.. it'll take you a while..

Step 6: Weave! WEAVE!!!! WEAVE!!!!!!!

Step 7: you can take your "waraji" off your board now.. if you havent already

Step 8: remember how you started this off? well you're pretty much gonna finish it the same way. wrap around and stick the extra inside the wrap you're making now..

(gets sorta make-shift around here)
Step 9: this is the strap that will hold your foot into the waraji. Get your third length of rope(you can make this thinner if you want), and poke it through the sandle. sorta Looping one of the base pieces

Step 10: twist this rope acouple times, (this will be where your toes go)
Sorry, no picture, forgot to draw it and im lazy!

Step 11: Poke each side of the rope into one of the sides of the waraji. (about 1/3 of the way down. It'll end up being about 1/2 the length of your foot)

Step 12: poke each end of the rope through the botom corners. and tie one off

Step 13: Bring the side thats not tied around the back end of the waraji. poking it into the front Looping around and poking through again.

You're almost done!!!!(with one shoe)

remember those pieces of rope that were extra in the begining? all you have to do now is pull them and tighten everything up!

cut em, tie em.. do what ya gotta to make the bulk of them go away...

the loop you made last will be wrapped around your ankle, pull that extra bit to tighten them to fit your foot..

(i'd post a picture of what mine looked like. but my sister stole her digi cam away from me and wont give it back!)
Essenceofaaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2005, 03:36 AM   #2
Nicepants
Shinigami of pantaloons.

um, I dunno about everyone else, but not a single one of those pictures will load for me o.o Might want to doublecheck that
Nicepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
Essenceofaaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicepants
um, I dunno about everyone else, but not a single one of those pictures will load for me o.o Might want to doublecheck that

what what.... gah. crap..

okay it should be fixed now
Unread 10-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

The picture in step 4 is a little unclear...
The rest of this, though, is very interesting and useful.
Thank you!
Oh yeah...
This site may also be useful as it has an illustration of how to wear traditional waraji:
http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-...ootwear7-s.htm
Here's the picture, in case you have a hard time finding it:
http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/shop/jik...aji-illust.htm
The illustration may help someone figure out where/how to place the rope to tie it onto the foot in case Essenceofaaron's pics aren't quite clear enough.

Waraji fascinate me and frighten me at the same time. They look like they'd be terribly uncomfortable. Hmmm...gel inserts in tabi...hehehe

-Tenebrae.
Unread 10-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Nicepants
Shinigami of pantaloons.

Those aren't quite the waraji worn in bleach, though, because the ones in bleach have a portion that runs up the heel a good 3 or 4 inches. I suppose it could be easily adapted though, just make it longer and fold it up, neh?

Or did I miss somethin in your post?
Unread 10-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
Jen-neko
Lord Cynic Almighty

state_alchemist actually made a really awesome pair of waraji. He posted a tutorial about it (that I just found the other night). It can be found here:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...ghlight=waraji

This thread is helpful, though, because I've been contemplating cosplaying Rukia for quite some time now =^_^= And now that I've figured out how to make a hakama (and am in the process of figuring out the kimono) I figure her shinigami outfit would be ideal :3
Jen-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Essenceofaaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicepants
Those aren't quite the waraji worn in bleach, though, because the ones in bleach have a portion that runs up the heel a good 3 or 4 inches. I suppose it could be easily adapted though, just make it longer and fold it up, neh?

Or did I miss somethin in your post?

actualy i just didnt include the step of folding the back end.
Katamari - Katamari Damacy - 10%
Planned Conventions:
Sakura-Con 09
Unread 10-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #8
Nicepants
Shinigami of pantaloons.

Oh, so the instructions are for making them that correct length? Great, that means I cna use them.
If I have the time, lol. I got 2 weeks to make a zabimaru, and an aizen costume (for a friend) lol.
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #9
Essenceofaaron

it took me about an hour for each of them. the second was a little quicker because i knew what i was doing..

just be sure to weave and wrap everything the oposite of your first one. otherwise you'll end up with two left feet.... or right.. yeah
Planned Conventions:
Sakura-Con 09
Unread 10-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #10
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

I take it that if I where to go for an authintic Ninja Cosplay I would want Waraji? So which would be best buy online or go to the hardware store and get my own rope?? Your thoughts.
fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 01:49 AM   #11
HybridTwist
Here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-neko
state_alchemist actually made a really awesome pair of waraji. He posted a tutorial about it (that I just found the other night). It can be found here:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...ghlight=waraji

This thread is helpful, though, because I've been contemplating cosplaying Rukia for quite some time now =^_^= And now that I've figured out how to make a hakama (and am in the process of figuring out the kimono) I figure her shinigami outfit would be ideal :3

Well thank you Jen-neko, I'm glad that my tutorial is helping some people.

But Essenceofaaron or Nicepants (or whoever finishes first) please post some pictures, I would really like to see how they came out.

And fightstar, when I think of authentic ninja...feet-wise, I think of the tabi socks with the leather sole like this one. However, ninja's with a pair of waraji wouldn't be uncommon.

If you need help on props, PM me and I'll try to help you.
HybridTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 02:23 AM   #12
Essenceofaaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightstar
I take it that if I where to go for an authintic Ninja Cosplay I would want Waraji? So which would be best buy online or go to the hardware store and get my own rope?? Your thoughts.

I'd probably go for tabi socks like good ol' state alchemist said.
If you look around you can find acouple sites that sell waraji, but most will be japanese based, and this shipping costs will be insane. they also wont be in the style of the Bleach Cosplay.. then again you said ninja, not shinigami... I say it all depends on how you want to go about it.

Personally I wanted to experiance of making them for myself.

And State, I have a finished pair.. but no digi cam to take pictures... my sister stole hers back from me! I'll have to ask her for it next time i see her
Planned Conventions:
Sakura-Con 09
Unread 10-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #13
Gaara_kun

For fightstar- I think tabi boots would work too, they're a bit on the expensive side sometimes though.

Those are nice tutorials you guys. I found this a while ago... more traditional I guess: http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/waraji.jpg
Gaara_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
HybridTwist
Here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenceofaaron
And State, I have a finished pair.. but no digi cam to take pictures... my sister stole hers back from me! I'll have to ask her for it next time i see her
>.< Awwww, man. Well please PM me when you do get some shots up.

If you need help on props, PM me and I'll try to help you.
HybridTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Has anyone progressed on this tutorial? Any new developments or discoveries? Just asking b/c I found the tutorial again and I see that is is pretty old since the last posting.
fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote