Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

Unread 10-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Eva Xgouki

Kurogane (Tsubasa Chronicles) Cosplay

Hello all! I've decided to make my next cosplay of Kurogane from Tsubasa Chronicles, but I need a little help to make it .

-I can't seem to find good reference pictures of Kurogane from the front and back with and without his coat (to see the under armor)
-I've never made armor before, so I was hoping some of you more experienced armor-creators could offer some advice, especially on materials (preferably inexpensive and not requiring special equipment, etc since I'll be making it in my college dorm room)

Any help/assistance is much appreciated. Mahalo* in advance!

*Mahalo = Thank You in Hawaiian
Eva Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
Azure
~Nya

KuroganeRef.jpg

KuroganeRef2.jpg

KuroganeRef3.jpg
Some options for creating it are from fun foam and polystyrene sheets. Construction info can be found at http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html. Also it can be made by sealing the Fun Foam instead of putting a layer of plastic on it. Construction info can be found at http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/cos...helmsdeep.html. Another way is by using a plastic called WonderFlex. A rather lengthy thread has been started about it on the prop forums, more specifically http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=60768. I hope that helps . If you need more pictures, let me know.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Some options for creating it are from fun foam and polystyrene sheets. Construction info can be found at http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html. Also it can be made by sealing the Fun Foam instead of putting a layer of plastic on it. Construction info can be found at http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/cos...helmsdeep.html. Another way is by using a plastic called WonderFlex. A rather lengthy thread has been started about it on the prop forums, more specifically http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=60768. I hope that helps . If you need more pictures, let me know.
I find that regular armor making techniques more accurately imitate metal armor than armor of other materials.

Kurogane's a ninja, and from various series that include ninjas (ie. Naruto), it's quite noticable that their armor is most often black and completely matte (none of that metal sheen).

While I always used to believe that Ninjas would have armor more similar to samurai, it makes no sense. Ninjas are known for their agility and speed, which metal armor does not readily allow for.

So rather than metal armor, I think ninja armor would be more similar to monk armor, which is traditionally tough leather. Strong, but is lightweight to allow for quick movement.

From Naruto style ninja armor that I made for a friend's Kiba cosplay, I found that a good way to make it is to cover pieces of wonderflex with leather. this way, the leather appearance is given and the wonderflex provides the stiffness needed for the piece to hold it's shape better.

I plan to use the same method for Kurogane armor once I actually finish with my other Kurogane cosplays and get around to making his regular outfit.

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 12:25 AM   #4
Azure
~Nya

I've seen fun foam made into very realistic looking leather. Though i'm not sure where I found it. And in the anime atleast, I beleave Kurogane is refered to as a samurai, not a ninja.

*Edit* Found it, the top half of the page is with fun foam. http://www.jedielfqueen.com/lotr/cos.../vambraces.htm

Last edited by Azure : 10-07-2005 at 12:48 AM.
Unread 10-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #5
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I've seen fun foam made into very realistic looking leather. Though i'm not sure where I found it. And in the anime atleast, I beleave Kurogane is refered to as a samurai, not a ninja.

*Edit* Found it, the top half of the page is with fun foam. http://www.jedielfqueen.com/lotr/cos.../vambraces.htm
I've seen a lot of various materials used to imitate leather. it really comes down to personal preference as to whether someone wants to use the real thing or something to imitate it. Just like how not everyone who wants to do metal armor will use actual sheet metal to make it.

The the manga, Kurogane is referred to as a Ninja, as well as he himself declares himself to be a ninja several times during the first couple of volumes of the manga. (I've read about 10 volumes of the manga scanlated and about 5 volumes of the Del Ray releases and he has been referred to as a ninja in both versions.)

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 02:37 AM   #6
Eva Xgouki

Wow. Thanks soo much for all the help. The Fun Foam looks like a pretty good way to make armor in my dorm room. Though I was analyzing the cosplay details and came up with 2 complications:

-Kurogane's headgear (making out of the Fun Foam or plastic) doesn't have any backing. I was thinking of using a black elastic band to hold it to my head (since I have black hair and the band will be thin, shouldn't be easily seen). This brings the problem of how to secure the band to the headgear since it'll be under some tension forces. I was originally thinking of using a hook-and-eye so I could latch the band when i put it on/take off, but I'm not sure on how to properly secure the hook or whatever I'm going to use to the headgear.
-In the pictures, it's hard to tell how the left shoulder armor is secured. It looks like it's seperate from the armor should straps and is secured to the upper-arm underneath, but it doesn't seem like it. Does anyone have any insight as to how it's secured?
-The armor that he wears seems to be made of one main sheet, but in the manga pics I've seen at Cosplaylab, they're seperate panels all the way around the body and for the shoulder armor. I was going to go with the individual method and have to connected by two or three of the "x" sections of red robe and just paint on the red trim.

Mahalo again. Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be sure to get it right

Last edited by Eva Xgouki : 10-07-2005 at 02:41 AM.
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
Azure
~Nya

The band could be a good idea. You could try to sew a few stichs though it into it and cover it with glue. But then again that might distort the material if the sitchs are pulled tight. As for the shoulder armor, well, it really does look like its just floating there. You would probably have to trade some accuracy in so you can actual wear the thing.Its tough to see, but the first picture shows red X's going across his chest, so they very well could be panels also.
Unread 10-21-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Eva Xgouki

Well, I'll be staring work on the armor next month, maybe. I'd decided to make it out of the Fun Foam with a 0.03 inch polyer sheet on the outside. Then paint it black with a clear-coat and paint on the red outlines. Plus I'll be attempting to make the individual armor panels and then attach them together with red rope and make the shoulder supports out of pleather. I think the only think I'm not too sure on right now is what to make the 2 belts out of. Also, what to do for making/buying a katana.
Unread 10-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #9
mlarad
~ Mlarad ~

I made a kurogane costume for somebody else, I made the armor and both belts of wonderflex and the shoulder cover it does go separate only attach with some straps. For the sword you can get any sword and remove the color straps that most of them have on the holder and make the ''gynriu' that is the name of kurogane's sword I think, and make the form of modelmagic. its a king of plaster that you can give any form and when it dryes it stays that way. you can find a lot of reference pictures in the manga and the art book.

Last edited by mlarad : 10-29-2007 at 05:51 PM.
mlarad is offline   Reply With Quote