Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 10-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
Edgar Strife
Thinking & Planning....

Con No Baka Cosplay Chess Battle?

Good evening everyone, there is been an idea that's been in my mind lately that its bugging me alot and I like to share it with everyone.

Anyway, down to the point. As most of know [well I'm sure some of know already] that Con No Baka won't have a masquerade and instead a 30 minutes length play right? [This piece of imformation or event was discuse in another thread but I can't remember where it was.] Anyway, instead of a 30 minutes play [I know it can be very hard to organize one] how about a Live Cosplay Chess Battle. It would work like this, we would need 32 cosplayers [maybe 31 since I'm likely to be a chess piece as well]that would be place on stage to represent as chess pieces [to represent the light side & the dark side] and we would need two more people to represent the one controling the chess pieces[ in other words, were going to have a chess board with small chess pieces while the stage will represent the big board where most cosplayers will be]. How will this work you may ask? We will need a microphone for the contender to shout out the move they make on the small board and then whoever that chess piece is on stage, that cosplayer would move to a certain location and so on. [Also, the small Chess pieces will have the cosplayer name so that way they know which piece is which. Also to indicate who's on who's side I was think maybe the cosplayer on stage would have badges or a sign saying that there so and so chess piece and they represent this color or that.] And during the game will also add battle music and lets say a Cloud cosplayer was a knight chess piece and he moves to take out a pawn, that cosplayer can maybe perform some kind of attack pose [show the cosplayer attacking its opponet. Or maybe they can just strike a pose and that's it ]and then the pawn [the cosplayer] can go to his or her seat and enjoy the show.

Anyway this is my idea for a 30 minutes length play, it be a Live Action Cosplay Chess battle [even though I know some chess games can take abit longer] and I would like to hear what everyone thinks of this idea that way I know if I should get a move on making this idea to happen or not. Anyway thanks for taking your time reading this and I hope to hear from everyone.
Also
Any cosplayer is wellcome rather it be in the field of Anime characters, Videogame, original, anything.

Last edited by Edgar Strife : 10-08-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Edgar Strife is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
TribalButterfly
How Much Longer Until CN?

I think that is a sick AWESOME idea!!!!

I dont think im going to con no baka though

I'll let u know
Unread 10-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

I think that's a fun idea. I've done one before and they're great. The stage is most likely going to be way too small to do one efficiently. You may want to organize this outside of the stage.

If you want help let me know and I can give you some tips. ^_^

Cheers!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Edgar Strife
Thinking & Planning....

Tribal Butterfly Quote-->I think that is a sick AWESOME idea!!!!<--Quote

Thank you, I happy to hear you like the idea.

kaijugal Quote--->I think that's a fun idea. I've done one before and they're great. The stage is most likely going to be way too small to do one efficiently. You may want to organize this outside of the stage.
If you want help let me know and I can give you some tips. ^_^

Hum..you done one before? Very interesting and the stage may be small, I better check it out. Any help or advices that you have will be a great help to me and I like to know that way I can be prepare and ready for this. Please if you have any tips that could help me out that's ll be awsome. What ells does everyone think so far?
Unread 10-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
flash1616
don't touch the Mytho

this sounds to cool >.< I've seen a human chess battle thing at the renaissance fair.. it would be awesome with anime characters... I would be willing to be a chess peice if need be!
flash1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
TribalButterfly

If we were to do this, is it alright that we're all in a random assortment of cosplays, or did you have in mind everyone as characters from the same show (only in black/white)?

I think the random assiortment might make people more happy, and be cuter to watch.

Did u want them to do anything so that people will recognize "this is a rook. this is a queen, this is a knight." and so on???
Unread 10-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Michiko chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalButterfly
If we were to do this, is it alright that we're all in a random assortment of cosplays, or did you have in mind everyone as characters from the same show (only in black/white)?

I think the random assiortment might make people more happy, and be cuter to watch.

Did u want them to do anything so that people will recognize "this is a rook. this is a queen, this is a knight." and so on???
I think for recognizing the people as different pieces, a hat of some sort would be best, because (paper crowns anyone?) because mostl likely, the people who were controlling them would be raised up so they could see the entire board.

I'd love to play a game. xD I'm such a nerd.
Unread 10-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalButterfly

Generally this is determined (if not by costume) by front and back tabbards, Hats, (my favorite), chesspoles, or by nothing at all in GPS events. I've also seen it done where people hold cards in the air but that can get tiresome.

Edgar, what's your budget for this?

Have you spoken to Aaron about having this as an event yet?

There will be a financial outlay needed for even the most basic example of human chess. (Just to mark the board for instance).

Also can Con No Baka garuntee you a space of no less than 22x22 square feet?

Also remember you don't only need players (32), RELIABLE DEDICATED PLAYERS, particularly in the case of the KINGS, but you require wranglers, Chessmasters, a caller, a boardmaster, and people to document.
I'll be happy to give you instruction on how to run it if you can get all the neccessary basics together.

I might even be interested in helping out as a player, (or a chessmaster if you need one). I really love chess. ^_^

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 10-09-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
Otaking97
Terrible Great King

Chess? Eh. Count me out of playing (unless absolutely needed at last minute) but I can certainly help you out if you need it.

My HUGE ASS Anime/Manga/Figure collection:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=352110
Otaking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
Edgar Strife
Thinking & Planning....

Tribal Butterfly Quote-->If we were to do this, is it alright that we're all in a random assortment of cosplays, or did you have in mind everyone as characters from the same show (only in black/white)? I think the random assiortment might make people more happy, and be cuter to watch. Did u want them to do anything so that people will recognize "this is a rook. this is a queen, this is a knight." and so on???<---Quote

I think its best if we have any characters from any anime or games. If I had to pick just one type of series it be to difficult and if we also did it as Black & White it still be hard and would consider a lot of work. So its going to be any characters from anime or games. As for telling apart who's is what chess piece, I like the whole paper crowns idea [it goes well with my Subaru Onmyoji cosplay as the Bishop chess piece] that would be fun, even as Kaijugal mentions, the back & front tabards works out too.

flas1616 Quote--->this sounds to cool >.< I've seen a human chess battle thing at the renaissance fair.. it would be awesome with anime characters... I would be willing to be a chess peice if need be!-<--Quote

I'm happy to hear you too like the idea and once I figure things out, if you like to join as a chess piece, that be great.

Kaijugal Quote--->Edgar, what's your budget for this? Have you spoken to Aaron about having this as an event yet? There will be a financial outlay needed for even the most basic example of human chess. (Just to mark the board for instance). Also can Con No Baka garuntee you a space of no less than 22x22 square feet? Also remember you don't only need players (32), RELIABLE DEDICATED PLAYERS, particularly in the case of the KINGS, but you require wranglers, Chessmasters, a caller, a boardmaster, and people to document.
I'll be happy to give you instruction on how to run it if you can get all the neccessary basics together.
I might even be interested in helping out as a player, (or a chessmaster if you need one). I really love chess. ^_^

I'm going try to find out asap about the space as well as my bugget to this idea and do u how I can contack Aaron to discuse this idea? By the way who is Aaron? As for the gathering of the 32 Chess Pieces Cosplayers, the Boardmaster, wranglers, Chessmasters, a caller, and people to document, I figure the best way to do there are two ways.

.1. Con No Baka is introducing the room parties right? I figure I can arrange a room where I can have a sign up sheet for cosplayer who are interested in being part of the game. [Gives both online and cosplayer who are not part of the cosplay.com boards to be part of this event.]

2...Another way to gather some cosplayer would be here online, I suppose once I can get the idea running, I'll be able to post up some kind of list.
Anyway,a player or a ChessMaster [whichever you like to be] would be a great help to me.

Otaking97 Quote--->Chess? Eh. Count me out of playing (unless absolutely needed at last minute) but I can certainly help you out if you need it.,<---Quote

Thank you for help, I'll let you know when the times come.

Last edited by Edgar Strife : 10-09-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Unread 10-10-2005, 09:03 AM   #11
TribalButterfly

This sounds pretty exciting. I don't know anything about chess though! i've never won a single game! Haha! I've come close a few times though!

Stratagy just isn't my thing
Unread 10-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
Edgar Strife
Thinking & Planning....

Alright, I send an e-mail to the organizer for Con No Baka events [I hope I got the right e-mail] I'll update on this event and let everyone know how it turn out.
Unread 10-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
Konrad-Chan
Sung the Pokemon Song

Good idea, and for AN you can do 1-minute speed chess
Unread 10-14-2005, 01:36 AM   #14
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

I'm not entirely sure that I will be going to Con No Baka yet... (it's a matter of timing at this point) but if I'm there I will definitely be a chess piece! I will let you know for sure as soon as possible.
MaiSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #15
Zero_1369
The Winged Knight

I'd love to join in! I am going as Miroku from Inuyasha as one of my costume.. maybe Bishop Miroku??
Zero_1369 is offline   Reply With Quote